RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
army

Interested to know

I had someone say that the Thorughbred racing Industry was slack because of the amount we paid our jockeys and the percentage of stakes money won that they get. I know this person is involved in harness racing but wouldnt declare what harness drivers received so could someone please clarify for me the amount they get paid per drive and the percentage they get of stakes money won.

5 hours ago, army said:

I had someone say that the Thorughbred racing Industry was slack because of the amount we paid our jockeys and the percentage of stakes money won that they get. I know this person is involved in harness racing but wouldnt declare what harness drivers received so could someone please clarify for me the amount they get paid per drive and the percentage they get of stakes money won.

I think it's only $80 per drive plus GST and 5% of stakes. 

I paid someone two hundred, that was his fee, plus the 5% , the average is $100 , but im sure theres no set fee. not sure about jockeys, probably around the same, they deserve every cent, its health and safety at its best.

25 minutes ago, gazza123 said:

thats pretty poor really, i thought they deserve more, and i beleive they should, that fee has sat there for years, im quite supprised that someone hasnt jumped up and down, what do you think, if you only get two drives at say invercargil , petrol would chew that up, im sure the dunns and orange wouldnt jump in the sulky for $80 quid

27 minutes ago, hands down said:

thats pretty poor really, i thought they deserve more, and i beleive they should, that fee has sat there for years, im quite supprised that someone hasnt jumped up and down, what do you think, if you only get two drives at say invercargil , petrol would chew that up, im sure the dunns and orange wouldnt jump in the sulky for $80 quid

Since the schedule you're referring to dates from 1 August 2016, it's hardly "years".  And what drivers "deserve" is neither here nor there (we all think we deserve more!).  If there were a problem with the fee being too low, then we would see a shortage of drivers on a regular basis, yet as far as I'm aware that's not the case.  If anything, the reverse seems to be true --- many younger drivers in particular are largely unemployed.

It's also worth remembering that any increase in fees comes directly out of the pockets of owners (of whom there is a definite shortage). 

Just now, Basil said:

Since the schedule you're referring to dates from 1 August 2016, it's hardly "years".  And what drivers "deserve" is neither here nor there (we all think we deserve more!).  If there were a problem with the fee being too low, then we would see a shortage of drivers on a regular basis, yet as far as I'm aware that's not the case.  If anything, the reverse seems to be true --- many younger drivers in particular are largely unemployed.

It's also worth remembering that any increase in fees comes directly out of the pockets of owners (of whom there is a definite shortage). 

ok that makes sence to me, good call.

Just more on that , or drivers, its tough on those young guys , they work hard for very little reward, other than winning a race here and there.its been like that for 100s years, and more to come id say

4 hours ago, hands down said:

If they’re doing it 8-10 times a meeting, plus percentages, it’s not too bad.

Agree it’s hard for any young guy starting out, hence the need for support, whether it be from a committed employer or family involvement who will keep putting you on, lose or win.

I agree it is hard for a young person starting out especially for those that do not have the right connections however a fair bit has to do with attitude. A few  young people seem to feel they  have a right to succeed without doing any of the hard work. Recently I spoke to a young driver who lamented the fact that he was not getting the drives. I asked him if he was going to trials or workouts to get catch drives and he replied that that was why he had an agent and it was his job to do that for him!! Where was the desire or killer instinct to make yourself known? Surely it is the agents job to advise the young drivers and guide them on how to interact with the participants in the industry than may be able to help them. It is called communication!!

9 hours ago, hands down said:

I paid someone two hundred, that was his fee, plus the 5% , the average is $100 , but im sure theres no set fee. not sure about jockeys, probably around the same, they deserve every cent, its health and safety at its best.

The jockeys get 162 including GST. I dont have a problem with that at all he is a trotting man that was saying we dont pay our jockeys enough and so I just wanted to compare

8 hours ago, Basil said:

ok thats interesting, never looked at that in that way, makes sense basil

1 hour ago, army said:

The jockeys get 162 including GST. I dont have a problem with that at all he is a trotting man that was saying we dont pay our jockeys enough and so I just wanted to compare

Rather be a driver than jockey, at least most of harness meetings go ahead.

3 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Rather be a driver than jockey, at least most of harness meetings go ahead.

Each to there own. I like thoroughbred racing you like harness race. My choice and your choice it a free world