RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore

I've been telling the Hi Foyle story for years absolutely confident it had happened at Forbury.Tonight I finally looked it up and discovered it happened at Addington.Old age is a terrible thing :(

It was the 1973 Cup Meeting.In those days it was a two day/two night meeting and on the first night (the Tuesday after Show Day) Hi Foyle started in consecutive races.

Unusual enough but what makes it almost unbelievable is that he wasn't a maiden trotter but one of the best horses in the country.He finished fourth in Race 7...look at the field!!!

Then thirty minutes later he started against c7 horses over 2 miles from a 40 metre handicap.He ran fifth!!

Earlier that year he started in Race 5 and 9 and Race 5 and 7 in consecutive weeks at Alexandra Park against the best opposition available.

He never won one of the big ones but Henry Skinner once told me he thought he was very unlucky in what turned out to be his final race....running second to Young Quinn in the 1975 InterDominion Final.

I hope some of the names below (both equine and human) stir some memories.

I remember all the drivers except J.Huyser and I'm not sure who M M Purdon was who drove the favourite in the 8th.

Capture.PNG.6d121af167ee97665c1a923506b0e9e8.PNG5a658a504da75_Capture2.PNG.ce4cfd6e834a09415f56d5169ab30b17.PNG

Young Quinn was the barrier from stopping Hi Foyle becoming the best horse of his era. He was unlucky to race at the same time as the mighty Quinn, especially in 1975 where Quinny won 21 times. Hi Foyle chased him home on numerous occasions. A very good horse in his own right.

I had a feeling he was originally trained by Lex Thomas around the Invercargill area, and had other suffix Foyle horses which he raced. Peter Gallagher trained him for 12 of his13 wins, with Roy Purdon training for his last win in January 1975.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Bruce,

Do you remember Might Gay racing in both legs of the at Waikouaiti. Now I come to think of it, Hi Foyle may have done the same at Waikouaiti at another time.

Oh, the good old days.

Robert.

11 hours ago, Bruce M said:

I've been telling the Hi Foyle story for years absolutely confident it had happened at Forbury.Tonight I finally looked it up and discovered it happened at Addington.Old age is a terrible thing :(

It was the 1973 Cup Meeting.In those days it was a two day/two night meeting and on the first night (the Tuesday after Show Day) Hi Foyle started in consecutive races.

Unusual enough but what makes it almost unbelievable is that he wasn't a maiden trotter but one of the best horses in the country.He finished fourth in Race 7...look at the field!!!

Then thirty minutes later he started against c7 horses over 2 miles from a 40 metre handicap.He ran fifth!!

Earlier that year he started in Race 5 and 9 and Race 5 and 7 in consecutive weeks at Alexandra Park against the best opposition available.

He never won one of the big ones but Henry Skinner once told me he thought he was very unlucky in what turned out to be his final race....running second to Young Quinn in the 1975 InterDominion Final.

I hope some of the names below (both equine and human) stir some memories.

I remember all the drivers except J.Huyser and I'm not sure who M M Purdon was who drove the favourite in the 8th.

Capture.PNG.6d121af167ee97665c1a923506b0e9e8.PNG5a658a504da75_Capture2.PNG.ce4cfd6e834a09415f56d5169ab30b17.PNG

thats amazing you brinning back this stuff , robalan was a free legged pacer owned by bluey hope , father of greg , it brings back some great days of pacing , i can still hear reg clap calling hi foyal into second in that race , thanks for the memories

3 minutes ago, hands down said:

thats amazing you brinning back this stuff , robalan was a free legged pacer owned by bluey hope , father of greg , it brings back some great days of pacing , i can still hear reg clap calling hi foyal into second in that race , thanks for the memories

further to that hi foyal stuff, i remember p c { paul gallagher } driving him at addington, paul was out of washdyke i think, trained a few around the road to the track , could go on and on on this stuff, the great days of broadcasters like marshall , matheson , murther, bill cherry was there.

9 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Mighty Gay, Gay Gordon / Rosa Dream. George Shand trained him.

i remember george shand ripping mighty gay round the feild in the ashburton cup , { grass } and took off and won by panels, had some speed he did

1 hour ago, hands down said:

I thought Allan Devery owned and trained Roballan in its early days, was it sold before it moved to Canterbury

Guest Hunterthenutter
3 hours ago, Value Bell said:

Hard case group, Shand, Gallagher and Sam Henderson.

dick caskey was  hard case too

Dick Caskey!

He trained the horses that all started with TOR, and they were probably the roughest gaited Horses I have ever witnessed.

Just the breed I suppose, but Torle had An absolute shocking pacing gait, by half pie galloping all the time, and I think Dick also gave trotting a go with it at the end of its so-called pacing  career.

Another one was named Torpi if I remember  correctly.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Dick Caskey!

He trained the horses that all started with TOR, and they were probably the roughest gaited Horses I have ever witnessed.

Just the breed I suppose, but Torle had An absolute shocking pacing gait, by half pie galloping all the time, and I think Dick also gave trotting a go with it at the end of its so-called pacing  career.

Another one was named Torpi if I remember  correctly.

hmmm - your memory is fading Mr Brodster.

Bambi was a nimble trotter over sprints and won the Worthy Queen Trot on Cup Day in 1971. 

George Shand drove for Dick Caskey that day and paid $15's in beating Merrin, Tony Bear and Precocious. You'd have been all over it like a robber's dog at $4's the place.

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

hmmm - your memory is fading Mr Brodster.

Bambi was a nimble trotter over sprints and won the Worthy Queen Trot on Cup Day in 1971. 

George Shand drove for Dick Caskey that day and paid $15's in beating Merrin, Tony Bear and Precocious. You'd have been all over it like a robber's dog at $4's the place.

Eclipsed, why do you say “The Brodster “ memory is fading?????

I thought I still had most of my faculties!

I do rember  Bambi, but am I not right in regards to the TOR’s??????

Brodie is correct....the TOR horses were not always well gaited but I remember a couple of astonishing finishes from Torle who was the best of them.One night she came from a clear last into the straight to win easily.

Was it Tortuff who won her maiden race at her 120 somethingth start?

13 minutes ago, Value Bell said:

Throw in Stewy Sutherland to the hard cases.

I think stewy had a string of very good trotters, remember one called waipouamu , not sure about fab, there were others,but i remembers those green colours , he was famous at that time, love those days.

Guest Hunterthenutter
1 hour ago, Value Bell said:

Throw in Stewy Sutherland to the hard cases.

stewy had some nice trotters another hard case doug mccormick