RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Just in passing.

Since my teens I've regularly read the 'deaths' column in the Herald. Some think it's a bit macabre but I've always found it bloody interesting, the names that crop up and people connected to people you know or have known. One in todays Herald interested me in the form of one J G B (Jack) Grant, aged 91. With three initials I don't think I'm mistaken in believing he was the son of the late Alec MacGregor- Grant, Doyen of Auckland Racing Club and after whom the famous steeplechase is named. I was in my early teens but I believe he also raced a good horse or two from the Verner or Ivan Tucker stables in the early 60s. Gubes could probably confirm.

Blue Mr Grant bred and raced the very good mare Pheroz Jewel by Pakistan 2 out of Pheroz Pride. Ray Verner trained her.She won her first two starts. The Juvenile Handicap At Te Aroha on 24/2/73 ridden by David Peake and at Paeroa on the 17/3/73 ridden by Warwick Robinson. At three she won four races from 14 starts. Te Rapa on 22/10/73 ridden by Bob Skelton. At Ellerslie on 3/11/73 ridden by Gary Willetts. The George Adams Mile at Ellerslie on 2/1/74 ridden by David Peake and the Te Aroha Breeders Stakes on 23/2/74 ridden by Des Wyatt. At four she won twice from five starts. The Cheltenham Handicap at Ellerslie on 9/11/74 ridden by Des Wyatt and the Pegasus Stakes at Avondale on 11/12/74 ridden by Des Wyatt beating a top field viz Grey Way, Blue Blood, Shifnal Chief, Jan’s Beau, Lord Fairway, St Crispian, Galaxy Boy, Happy Sovereign, Pan Edition, Kashmir Belle and Lynda Mary.

Jack Grant bred the Champion Super Impose in 1984 by Imposing out of Pheroz Fancy. He won 8 Group Ones from 74 starts. His stake earnings of $5.6 million were at the time an Australian Record. He won the Doncaster and Epsom in both 1990 and 1991 and the Cox Plate in 1992. Super Impose is an inductee of the Australian Racing Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

Blue Mr Grant bred and raced the very good mare Pheroz Jewel by Pakistan 2 out of Pheroz Pride. Ray Verner trained her.She won her first two starts. The Juvenile Handicap At Te Aroha on 24/2/73 ridden by David Peake and at Paeroa on the 17/3/73 ridden by Warwick Robinson. At three she won four races from 14 starts. Te Rapa on 22/10/73 ridden by Bob Skelton. At Ellerslie on 3/11/73 ridden by Gary Willetts. The George Adams Mile at Ellerslie on 2/1/74 ridden by David Peake and the Te Aroha Breeders Stakes on 23/2/74 ridden by Des Wyatt. At four she won twice from five starts. The Cheltenham Handicap at Ellerslie on 9/11/74 ridden by Des Wyatt and the Pegasus Stakes at Avondale on 11/12/74 ridden by Des Wyatt beating a top field viz Grey Way, Blue Blood, Shifnal Chief, Jan’s Beau, Lord Fairway, St Crispian, Galaxy Boy, Happy Sovereign, Pan Edition, Kashmir Belle and Lynda Mary.

Boy oh boy Gubes, look at the depth of the Pegasus Stakes field. Long time since NZ racing has had a field of top horses anywhere near that calibre - not will there be in the near future. Evidence of the state of the industry today isn't it?

Just reminded me of these listings recently on TM,

info was as follows

RARE ORIGINAL WW11 ERA PHOTO 'PETER ROBINSON' RACEHORSE at YEARLING SALES 1941 
CHESTNUT COLT B 25th OCT 1939 
SOLD NATIONAL YEARLING SALES JANUARY 1941 FOR 1000 GNS 
MARKS AS PER PHOTOS
I DONT HAVE ANY INFO BUT CAME FROM AN OLD ESTATE WHICH INCLUDED A  
RARE ORIGINAL SIGNED G D GREENWOOD PHOTO GLOAMING [the wonder horse] c1924 PHOTO

694388079.jpg

694388128.jpg

694394186.jpg

12 hours ago, gubellini said:

Shifnal Chief what a horse big and black Last saw him as a clerks horse at Alexandra Park  back in the day

22 hours ago, gubellini said:

Jack Grant bred the Champion Super Impose in 1984 by Imposing out of Pheroz Fancy. He won 8 Group Ones from 74 starts. His stake earnings of $5.6 million were at the time an Australian Record. He won the Doncaster and Epsom in both 1990 and 1991 and the Cox Plate in 1992. Super Impose is an inductee of the Australian Racing Hall of Fame.

He was an incredible horse.  Scotty McGee used to look after him. I see from Trackside coverage he now works for Mike Moroney.  Staff were a key factor in Lee Freedman’s success. However. Super was a freak. He was by Imposing, a son of Todman. They were invariably bad legged and rarely saw a full racing career. So the fact He raced until he was 8yo and rarely missed a prep shows you what a genuine freak he was. I walked with him the afternoon before he won the Cox Plate and he was in a magic mood, hence he carried my money the next day, even though an 8yo had never won the race.  Super memories of a wonderful horse.

On 22/01/2018 at 11:27 PM, hizzy said:

Shifnal Chief what a horse big and black Last saw him as a clerks horse at Alexandra Park  back in the day

Unfortunately his racing days were before my time but i have awsome memories of 3 kids (Ian Camerons grandkids) on his back going around the paddock on our home farm in taupiri. He out lived both his owners and died at about 28yrs old up until the end he would still be racing the yearlings up the paddock.