RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Frozen Semen

I know this has been discussed before but with a fair passage of time passing since it was allowed, has using FS been successful for greyhound racing worldwide?

Without any facts to work on my instinct tells me maybe no. There has been a lot of talk of the breed becoming less strong with racing distances around the different countries diminishing and the amount of dogs not chasing increasing. Various theories abound on the reasons for this but I think one of the reasons is probably that the global incidence of inbreeding increased suddenly with the advent of FS. Subsequently we reduced the world gene pool in an extraordinarily short space of time.

One of the reasons thoroughbreds have resisted FS being used in their industry is because of the likelihood of the most popular stallions being over represented in the global gene pool. If they looked at how the world gene pool shrunk so quickly in the greyhound industry they could probably feel justified in not going there.

Apart from the dip in amount of chase and strength that may develop it is well documented that greyhounds are more prone than most other breeds to diseases and harmful conditions. Theses are exacerbated by excessive inbreeding.

Of course popular bloodlines will flourish in any instance but the effect is limited, when a mating is required.