RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man 11

What does ( AUS ) beside name mean

I note winners of two main races today......Magic Chai (AUS) and Enzo's Lad ( AUS)......surely our 3200m Wellington Cup was not won by a 'sprinter'.

Not only did Magic Chai win it won very well.

It actually fell out of the gates was a long last early , relaxed on the rail ,passed a few until the 1000m when a gap appeared and he then looped the field like a Rolls_Royce challenged at the 300 and won well.

He was impressive and both Castletown and Great Sensation would approve of the effort.

Dunno if the commentary put as much excitement into the race as usual !!!

41 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

I note winners of two main races today......Magic Chai (AUS) and Enzo's Lad ( AUS)......surely our 3200m Wellington Cup was not won by a 'sprinter'.

Not only did Magic Chai win it won very well.

It actually fell out of the gates was a long last early , relaxed on the rail ,passed a few until the 1000m when a gap appeared and he then looped the field like a Rolls_Royce challenged at the 300 and won well.

He was impressive and both Castletown and Great Sensation would approve of the effort.

Yes TM, the Aussies cleaned up....:rolleyes:

Magic Chai by Magic Albert out of Chai by Viscount - all Aussies

Enzo's Lad by Testa Rossa out of Sheerama by Catbird - all Aussies

Both bought at Sales over there.

10 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

I'm not quite sure what the commentator could do to make the race exciting. It was a pretty ordinary field, not even capacity, and a pretty ordinary pace.

Guest 2Admin2
49 minutes ago, gubellini said:

(AUS) means that the horse was foaled in Australia.

P4P reckons it means bread thief.

6 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I'm not quite sure what the commentator could do to make the race exciting. It was a pretty ordinary field, not even capacity, and a pretty ordinary pace.

My point was , IMO I thought the call lacking in the usual excitement of the occasion.....one of the biggest races of the year.

i think the horse who dropped out didn't get a mention while the last 1000m lacked fluency IMO.

There were other examples I picked up during the day but I did hear the "twinkling of an eye "...this was a Peter Kellyism when La Mer won back in about 1975 !

Magic Chai was sweeping around the field pre-turn in the Cup and could have been the subject for a TL special but wasn't !

As for the standard of the field ,there have been many weak fields over the years and my very strong memories go back to 1961 when a class mates father owned and trained the winner ,then another close friends Dad had also shone even prior to that.Soon after my Dad used to take me to the race and a couple of winning jockeys lived next door.More recently i had a share in the favourite in the race 2 or 3 years running .

That there is no local breeding industry? In the Gr. 3 race for 2 y.o. horses at New Plymouth today, there are 7 entries. Of those, 6 are shown as by X (Aus), out of Y (Aus). The solitary local - if you go back 10 generations, you will find an Australian mare.

Are local sales just a clearance shop for Australia's 2nd tier, as I can't imagine them releasing their best? What do local studs offer?