RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Peter Jenkins

Draft for Trans-Tasman Super Comp 4.00pm Sunday 21st Jan

48 minutes ago, Right first time said:

Anyway .....what was Ian doing riding roughshod over two of my selections . :D

Rein it in, Ian ole son. :)

Ah the cracks are appearing before a ball has been teed up we may well be able to loan you a water boy Howie if you play your cards right, now your team may well be known as Augusta but the Masters are in 5 No Trumps

Bring it on

43 minutes ago, hesi said:

Bad omen John, I'd change it

"An open or lay down misere, or misere ouvert is a 500 bid where the player is so sure of losing every trick that they undertake to do so with their cards placed face-up on the table"

Consequently, 'lay down misere' is Australian gambling slang for a predicted easy victory

We'll stick with it.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Geeze ,I'm in exalted company here John, thanks. Will have to throw off the Gypsy shackles for a while and step up with some decent study.;)

Not sure about exalted company Rees but I reckon we'll give it a good shake - great to have you in the team

3 hours ago, hesi said:

Greetings fellow teammate Geoff

"My school' motto was (and still is) 'Per Angusta Ad Augusta' - Through Hardship to Glory' "

Auckland Boys Grammar??

Maybe MAGS?

Yes MAGS and in the 70s there is no way you could call MAGS "Glamour Boys". Think the "dawn raids" era...

Hi everyone, I'm sorry to have to pass on some sad news to you all.

Alan (Osceola) who took part in many of these wonderful comps over many many years, I think he was in the first one ever held, and who also was an avid fan of harness in the deep south, has passed away.   Some of you that I'd spoken to in the past may have known that he has had a brain tumor for some years now, which had gone into remission, but unfortunately over recent months the diagnosis wasn't good and he has been in a care home, hence his absence.  A kind and lovely man.  He was only 53, far too young.  It shows us all that life is for living whilst we can still breathe in the air.   RIP Al baby.

Very sorry to hear that Maria - thanks for letting us know.  Thoughts & prayers with him and his family.

You're right, that is way too young.  Had a good friend pass away just before Christmas aged 54.  I'm not that far away from that age, so you're exactly right - carpe diem!

Oh shit. Allan won the first Harness comp of Bruce's I was in. An astute harness picker, and always seemed a gentleman going by his measured posts.

At 65 I count my blessings for everyday of life. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Go well Allan.

29 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Alan (Osceola) who took part in many of these wonderful comps over many many years, I think he was in the first one ever held, and who also was an avid fan of harness in the deep south, has passed away.   Some of you that I'd spoken to in the past may have known that he has had a brain tumor for some years now, which had gone into remission, but unfortunately over recent months the diagnosis wasn't good and he has been in a care home, hence his absence.  A kind and lovely man.  He was only 53, far too young.  It shows us all that life is for living whilst we can still breathe in the air.   RIP Al baby.

Thanks for passing that on Maria. I knew about Alan's condition for quite some time and had hoped he had beaten it but sadly he has slipped away. A true gentleman and a tough competitor in the comps who always conducted himself with decorum. Will be sadly missed. Condolences to his family and friends.

The Draw

There will be two rounds of Round Robin Play (Jan 27-Apr 21) with the finals occurring Apr 25-May 12. Note - there will be two non-Saturday rounds - Easter Monday & Anzac Day.

Round 1 (Jan 27)
1    Mainly Dollarz        The Dark Horses            
2    The Rubiks        Lay Down Misere            
3    Ad Augusta        The Betza Grand            
4    Royle Family        Five No Trumps            

Round 2 (Feb 3)
1    Lay Down Misere        Mainly Dollarz            
2    The Dark Horses        The Betza Grand            
3    The Rubiks        Five No Trumps            
4    Ad Augusta        Royle Family            

Round 3 (Feb 10)
1    Mainly Dollarz        The Betza Grand            
2    Lay Down Misere        Five No Trumps            
3    The Dark Horses        Royle Family            
4    The Rubiks        Ad Augusta            

Round 4 (Feb 17)
1    Five No Trumps        Mainly Dollarz            
2    The Betza Grand        Royle Family            
3    Lay Down Misere        Ad Augusta            
4    The Dark Horses        The Rubiks            

Round 5 (Feb 24)
1    Mainly Dollarz        Royle Family            
2    Five No Trumps        Ad Augusta            
3    The Betza Grand        The Rubiks            
4    Lay Down Misere        The Dark Horses            

Round 6 (Mar 3)
1    Ad Augusta        Mainly Dollarz            
2    Royle Family        The Rubiks            
3    Five No Trumps        The Dark Horses            
4    The Betza Grand        Lay Down Misere            

Round 7 (Mar 10)
1    Mainly Dollarz        The Rubiks        
2    Ad Augusta        The Dark Horses        
3    Royle Family        Lay Down Misere        
4    Five No Trumps        The Betza Grand        

38 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

The Draw

There will be two rounds of Round Robin Play (Jan 27-Apr 21) with the finals occurring Apr 25-May 12. Note - there will be two non-Saturday rounds - Easter Monday & Anzac Day.  

Hey Peter is it two jokers during round robin?   (apologies if you've stated this already and I overlooked)

Thanks

I gotta say, these Team names are getting funnier by the minute.

"The Royle family on a trip to the Betza Grand in Ad Augusta, on arriving

, tied their Dark Horses up to the rail, grabbed Mainly Dollarz and strode into the place to play.

A mediocre Five No Trump Hand followed by a winning Lay Down Misere meant they could invite the Rubicks back for din dins.":)

I'm very sad to read of Alan (Osceola)'s passing - Geoff and I started in the PJ comps at the same time as Alan which was a long time ago, and I always found Alan to be a very skilful tipster who played the game with decorum, a real gentleman as others have mentioned. I didn't realise that Alan was so comparatively young at the time of his passing. When we play alongside people like Alan in these comps for so long they become like family, and we certainly feel the loss. Thanks for letting us know, Maria.

Rest in Peace, Alan. 

1 hour ago, Right first time said:

When we play alongside people like Alan in these comps for so long they become like family

And there it is. In some ways even despite the difference of opinions on here, the vitriolic, personal attacks , etc. When faced with our own mortality and the demise of someone as young as Allan, we must remember we are (thanks to a Forum like RaceCafe) part of a FAMILY , drawn together from and with a common love of the Racing industry.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Very sad news, Alan gave me well wishes to my boy Charlie when he was very i'll in starship a year or so ago..(similar medical condition). Charlie will fight on with every angel looking over him, rest in peace brother Al.