RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Awesome-O

Time for positive leadership.

Maybe just maybe the problem isn’t importing or over breeding ... maybe the problem is re homing ? Take a state in Aussie do they re home more or less than us ??? How well do we really do ? Why don’t grnz give the lps the details of gap workings? Records etc . Now I don’t have all the details but I’d say in the last 2-3 years more slower dogs have kept racing have not been put down or re homes take a look at the amount of c1s racing around now that would never have got a start 5 years ago . There is also less imports since there was a cap of 20 a month put in . There is less breeding as cost rise , yes bigger breeders are still breeding but smaller ones are not. Just an idea why have a gap set up ? Why not have a manager overseeing the whole op and put 2 ,3,5 kennels in every boarding kennel in nz and pay to get them done . Get sponsorship and give the greyhound away free to a good home .

You have made some valid points I Know. The present re-homing option is falling short. There has been a huge amount of money poured into GAP since the Levin Kennels came online. This includes an $800,00 purchase of that same property. But, there has been no significant increase in the numbers re-homed. If you compare the northern contract figures with Levin there is also no significant difference between the two, despite the greater number of dedicated kennels in Levin. The system needs to be overhauled. Off the top of my head, I believe it is costing around $2,500 to re-home each dog. (Based on the last year's financials, and number of dogs re-homed). That's ridiculous!

Just like to add, the reason that dogs aren't given away is simple. If an adoptee has to pay for a dog, the less likely they are to dump them after adoption. They are more likely to work through any issues that may arise. Also, all adoptees must be vetted, not all applicants will make suitable adoptees. Retired greys have a great rep, and we must take care to ensure that rep remains intact.

Whether you import or breed, you have a professional and moral responsibility to those dogs. That includes making dogs ready for retirement and re-homing. If you can't give back to the dogs you bred, imported, or raced, then you are at the heart of the problems outlined in the report. When saying this I am in no way referring to you, I Know. "You" is a general term for anyone who does not make the effort.

I see what your saying and agree but I don’t agree with that fact they have to pay, and by this the point I’m making we should want people taking greyhounds over any other breed we must make it attractive. If people are vetted and put on a list greyhounds will be easy to track , offer the support etc and it may work . Atm the owner and the new owner pay plus the grnz put up funds and we are still getting nowhere, I’m big in the boarding kennel idea just wish they would try it they don’t have to go all our just put a couple here and there .the problem is too many are taking from the top with tunnel vision . 

1 hour ago, I know said:

I see what your saying and agree but I don’t agree with that fact they have to pay, and by this the point I’m making we should want people taking greyhounds over any other breed we must make it attractive. If people are vetted and put on a list greyhounds will be easy to track , offer the support etc and it may work . Atm the owner and the new owner pay plus the grnz put up funds and we are still getting nowhere, I’m big in the boarding kennel idea just wish they would try it they don’t have to go all our just put a couple here and there .the problem is too many are taking from the top with tunnel vision . 

Great idea...were did the $2500 come from to rehome a dog...gezz im in the wrong buisness ...lol

55 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Great idea...were did the $2500 come from to rehome a dog...gezz im in the wrong buisness ...lol

The total GAP income divided by the number of dogs rehomed. And by the way, GAP had to be bailed out, on top of the contribution the industry provided for the year. That total industry contribution was $490,998. In 2016, that contribution was $338,115, so that was an increase of  $152,883. So based on the figures the industry paid the extra $152, 883 to rehome 12 more dogs than in 2016. If you want to look at it another way, $850,000 for Levin plus $490,998 (2017), plus $338,115 (2016) equals $1,679,113 to re-home 554 at $3,030.88 per dog.

https://greyhoundsaspets.org.nz/sites/default/files/2016/Greyhounds as Pets 2017 Financial Report.pdf

We have probably got away from the original topic.  I am well aware that a lot of people are making a lot of money from the re homing program.  We have people flying around New Zealand checking in with councils for what reason I have no idea.  But flights, accommodation and rental cars alone must add up to a heck of a lot of money.  They need to get themselves in a room and come up with solutions, not added problems.  I for one have said all along, we needed to build a world class, stand alone facility  where dogs can go to begin with and then be fed through to the smaller adoption programmes .  The amount of money we have spent on a band aid solution is ridiculous and I believe people should be held accountable for their inadequate judgement of this entire situation.  My point is not to ban the Australian import, in fact, let them come over and race, but they do not race in our group races.  It will slow the flow down of Australian imports.  But we need to start finding a New Zealand based industry where the money stays in New Zealand, goes back into greyhound racing FOR New Zealand owners, trainers and breeders.  I am sure if people had the incentives put in front of them knowing that every pup they produce may have the opportunity to race for good money, a lot more people would breed, instead of one litter, they may actually breed two per year.  Its all about building an industry...... a kiwi based industry.  And if this happens you may find we have high class rearing farms, break in facilities, all the extras that go with a  sustainable New Zealand based breeding industry.  In turn, this would add jobs and may even generate enough money to start planning for a world class retirement home for ex racing dogs.  Imagine if we where actually the envy of our neighbours?  Its achievable but we need to start now.  

Awesome-0

Where is the equilibrium in N.Z. for breeding dogs. We all ready have to many dogs, hence 15 card races every week, pressure on rehoming agencys - how long will this last?

Personally I don't see the ozzie dogs been the problem.

If you have time/money/reasources then the sky is the limit hence the four big breeders in N.Z., 2 in the South Island and 2 in the North Island, as there is no cap how many litters one enity can breed. With the small one litter every 2-3yrs breeder been shunted out the gate and likely never to return which dissapoints me alot.

You can look at it two ways:

1 - Good on them for taking the risks and going for gold 

Or 

2 - We keep going down this path its going to root the industry 

Unfortunately I see option two unfolding in my opinion and I really don't like the look of it. Palmy used to be my favourite punt day but not anymore I don't bet on a Monday, with Thursday prefered or Sunday. 

N.Z. breeding has improved and the sprint-a-thon meetings have cut back with better breeding and some in part to the big breeders but they can use the best bitches and straws. Smarter breeding on the smaller breeders part is a must.

57 minutes ago, modest mouse said:

Classic case of who you know, not what. 

And What do you know about him ? 

Or just the fact hes been with us for a long time means that he wasnt the right person for the job. 

No matter who got the job people would judge saying exactly the same as you Henny.

But he is taking on a big role in our current position and I wish him all the best . Let us hope we will continue to try and move forward and have a positive outlook for the future of our sport.

Does he know nothing modest mouse? What experiences have you had with him that makes you come up with that comment? tell us.

maybe you should have applied for the job!? Good luck to the guy, he is definitely going to need it, as history has shown he can not win in this job with a lot of the participants in this industry. I Couldn’t think of anything worse! 

Wish him all the best.

3 hours ago, Jay4 said:

Does he know nothing modest mouse? What experiences have you had with him that makes you come up with that comment? tell us.

maybe you should have applied for the job!? Good luck to the guy, he is definitely going to need it, as history has shown he can not win in this job with a lot of the participants in this industry. I Couldn’t think of anything worse! 

Wish him all the best.

did he win in his last job

7 hours ago, modest mouse said:

I haven't got a clue who you are, but find your comment harsh. But what else is new, seems to be the way the industry is going. There's no friendships anymore, and don't tell me I have to try harder. I will sign off this time, and hope the NZGRA takes the right turn.

No friendships anymore yet you comment  "classic case of who you know, not what " 

So what are you wanting out of all this?

He has stepped up to the plate and we have to wait and see before we can judge.

Or we throw rocks first so he doesn't get a chance?

Another quote from You "seems to be the way the industry is going"

Hmmm.

Regards

Corey Steele

Well not shocked of this appointee at all.  I have had dealings with Mario over his time on the board.   He is moulded very well.  As when the  vote of no confidence when through the first time on a board member he left the club reps  hanging for  a few hours to seek legal opinion so the clubs vote could sway in boards favour, must to his degust on return he was wrong,  No apology at all.   Shado Lans corruption he was also involved.    Hope he changes his stripes or I can see very little changes for us LP’S.