RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
firepipe

Aiden R

I enjoyed the Trentham Cup meeting coverage today, what I saw of it running in and out from the outdoor chores , the interviews were good - and I thought the Pitman one was fine.. it was obvious where his thoughts were ... info on Blathwayt not so good... but I really enjoyed whomever it was in the studio ensuring the continuity and lead in to races ... I thought she did a good job - sorry I don't know who it was.. I don't think it was ever acknowledged.. but well done :)

At one point I heard one of them trying to quote that saying "its the not the size of the dog in the fight .........." but he made a right hash of it.   Having said that, and despite the constant painful use of the word "tempo" and BP's inability to pronounce the word "performance", I thought they did a pretty good job.

Can't be easy having to talk at length without a script.  Good on them!

Seemed to me there were new elements of professionalism in the Trackside TV coverage of Trentham, for example Tony Lee throwing to Emily Bosson for her interviews with the winning jockeys (which usually were good, and thankfully without problems with communications).  

The production side of things is way better than the contributions from the on-air "experts" Rodley, Sweeney and Popplewell.  In their defence, however, I would say that they have earnest enthusiasm for what they are doing, and seem to have good relations with the trainers, jockeys, etc they interview.

I stumbled on dire content on the Trackside radio show with Peter Early after 11 am.  Stipendiary stewards giving insipid renderings race by race of stuff from RIU reports and gear changes involving mind-numbing trivia (nose bands, nasal strips, shadow rolls, etc).  It was a sorry experience after the upbeat sports programme it followed.

10 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

It was a hell of a lot better than the Gore coverage with some atrociously dressed female putting punters wrong.

Her expert pick Quaddie (4 x 3 x 4 x 3 costing $144) missed in the first leg...she picked one leg out of 4.

.:rolleyes:

I thought she did ok as she had obviously been thrown into a region she didn't know much about and she had tried to do some homework. I didn't get to see what she was wearing. The bit that impressed me down there was Stephen Blair-Edie; I thought he spoke well and gave very accurate assessments of his horses. Good to see people like him getting some exposure on a Saturday. Obviously a pretty good trainer as well.

Very amateur presentation for an industry that is on its knees and needs to reformat itself. I've said it before, and I'll say it again,  unless you get people in who understand the DNA of the combination of the horse industry, how to select and educate presenters, what technology you need, how to set up your technology , how to grab the right content, and how to edit it, then you've got a flawed process.

WE NEED to step up in relation to this but no-one wants to listen. All these continued criticisms leveled at our shop front window, but learned viewers, is an indication of just how bad it really is. Do you hear anyone criticising the presentation of rugby or cricket?!? When will people wake up? This is the single most important tool to sell the game to potential customers.

39 minutes ago, Berri said:

Very amateur presentation for an industry that is on its knees and needs to reformat itself. I've said it before, and I'll say it again,  unless you get people in who understand the DNA of the combination of the horse industry, how to select and educate presenters, what technology you need, how to set up your technology , how to grab the right content, and how to edit it, then you've got a flawed process.

WE NEED to step up in relation to this but no-one wants to listen. All these continued criticisms leveled at our shop front window, but learned viewers, is an indication of just how bad it really is. Do you hear anyone criticising the presentation of rugby or cricket?!? When will people wake up? This is the single most important tool to sell the game to potential customers.

I don't know what Michelle Pickles does in her role, but she does not appear to have improved presentations at all.

Having said that, it helps if you have the right cattle and Matt Cross is the only bright prospect, if still a work in progress. Let's face it, most of them could disappear tomorrow and most people would not notice the difference. Less talk might be a good thing...!

Has anyone missed Liz Whelan ??

Give those presenters a break you lot.  Jayne Ivil copped a ton of flack here yet is now an star in Victoria and as for critizing their selections well I consider those people to be no more knowledgeable than I am myself so never listen(not hat I claim to be any sort of judge just a mug like everyone else).  Dufficy doesn't tip the card every week as far as I know even though he is entertaining.  As for the Fahey girl's clothing down south well it looked perfectly acceptable to me.  Anyone with wives and daughters who like dress shops would be totally accustomed to that type of gear.

NZ racing has a bloody sight bigger problem than who the Trackside presenters are and what they say.  Liz Whelan is a loss however

Guest 2Admin2
8 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Give those presenters a break you lot.  Jayne Ivil copped a ton of flack here yet is now an star in Victoria and as for critizing their selections well I consider those people to be no more knowledgeable than I am myself so never listen(not hat I claim to be any sort of judge just a mug like everyone else).  Dufficy doesn't tip the card every week as far as I know even though he is entertaining.  As for the Fahey girl's clothing down south well it looked perfectly acceptable to me.  Anyone with wives and daughters who like dress shops would be totally as customer to that type of gear.

NZ racing has a bloody sight biggest problem than who the Trackside presenters are and what they say.  Liz Whelan is a loss however

Jayne Ivil always had potential.  Victoria recognised that.  Surely the problem lies with training and support.  I'm sick of KFE trained clones.  The NZ industry needs to move on.

3 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Jayne Ivil always had potential.  Victoria recognised that.  Surely the problem lies with training and support.  I'm sick of KFE trained clones.  The NZ industry needs to move on.

Bit tough on KFE aren't you?  Their job is to provide continuity and Karyn is good at that.  Live TV is not an easy job - just ask Julie Christie - and in general those guys do a pretty acceptable job in my view

9 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Give those presenters a break you lot.  Jayne Ivil copped a ton of flack here yet is now an star in Victoria and as for critizing their selections well I consider those people to be no more knowledgeable than I am myself so never listen(not hat I claim to be any sort of judge just a mug like everyone else).  Dufficy doesn't tip the card every week as far as I know even though he is entertaining.  As for the Fahey girl's clothing down south well it looked perfectly acceptable to me.  Anyone with wives and daughters who like dress shops would be totally as customer to that type of gear.

NZ racing has a bloody sight biggest problem than who the Trackside presenters are and what they say.  Liz Whelan is a loss however

That's the point Tom. Why bother having presenters who know no more than we do, yet peddle so called "expert" tips while waffling to fill in time. Question has to be asked, do we need them ? What value do they bring ? Stating the bleeding obvious apart...

Watch night racing on Trackside when there aren't any presenters, just a music background.....at least you can concentrate....:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Watching her on Weigh In today....you have to wonder...

1 hour ago, SMD is rife said:

Anyone done any due diligence on Andy Kydd the boss of Trackside? Therein lies your problem me thinks. Had to laugh when at the Christmas function he went up to shake Peter Earley's hand, Earley refused and said I'm not shaking your hand, you're a fu#&@ng idiot.

Peter wouldn't be shaking many on that basis....;)

21 hours ago, firepipe said:

Most pathetic interview and questions. Group 1 who would you like here . Wtf where is he going. An insult to racing and and incredibly insensitive. Just to top it off 5 seconds after win how are your other horses going. A group 1 to savour ? Not Aiden just talk more shit.

totally agree, this blokes been winging it from the getgo, hes got no idear, where the hell did he come from, tab has always had a history of budget broadcasters

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Bit tough on KFE aren't you?  Their job is to provide continuity and Karyn is good at that.  Live TV is not an easy job - just ask Julie Christie - and in general those guys do a pretty acceptable job in my view

I don't think it is tough. The KFE how to be a presenter book is not class so the clones are not class. And inflection up and a slow down of words at the end of every sentence deflates any form of energy. Just listen to the Aussie commentators. They don't do this. Just about everything needs a revamp to make it acceptable to everyone.

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

So who are you catering for ?

Racing experts ? You’d have an audience of 50

The average punter ? If so you need to dumb it down and give them some info but plenty of entertsinment

New blood, that’s a hard one, less racing because it’s boring, but just entice them to gamble, get them started

Trackside can’t be everything to everybody,  

As for the racing experts, well we have a few in NZ but most are not really camera friendly, they typically don’t speak well in a studio environment, and often they’re not entertaining. 

I presume Trackside is reaching out to a very wide audience of very ordinary people, it follows that the presented should be those who resonate with the ordinary people.

On that basis I’m going to say they’re doing ok, but I wish they’d tidy their boring studio up, and just occasionally unleash the presenters and let them have a rant or make a decent joke.

the tab dont  help, they employ these fools, they have from the getgo, they have history, its like a boys club if you like, i remember one year when donna beck was employed , they all had a holiday in picton, they thought they were a cut above all else, most of the people who front the shows have no idear, clueless to be fair ,tab only want your money,the $5 punter is there bread and butter, they make millons on us, not the large ones, they pretend to no stuff, but the tab really dont have a clue, all they want is your cash, do not care how they get it. ill tell you they treat the small sports punter like sh,,,,i,,,,t,they portray them self as the good guy,ive been complaing for years how they treat the sports stuff, but they just dont care, one good thing is on the sports side of thing we dont have to listen to these so called experts like racing, you need to study yourself, thats why they are very frustrating, i no more in that line than they do, they put up false favourites , ie, over in basketball points, chasing the small mulit punter, only to change odds at the last minute, most sports punters who chase a small mulit have no idear, and rely on tab odds, or favourites, but they fool these guys, i hate them, { tab } id love to see competition, thats what we need.

tab hatter

2 minutes ago, brett said:

the tab dont  help, they employ these fools, they have from the getgo, they have history, its like a boys club if you like, i remember one year when donna beck was employed , they all had a holiday in picton, they thought they were a cut above all else, most of the people who front the shows have no idear, clueless to be fair ,tab only want your money,the $5 punter is there bread and butter, they make millons on us, not the large ones, they pretend to no stuff, but the tab really dont have a clue, all they want is your cash, do not care how they get it. ill tell you they treat the small sports punter like sh,,,,i,,,,t,they portray them self as the good guy,ive been complaing for years how they treat the sports stuff, but they just dont care, one good thing is on the sports side of thing we dont have to listen to these so called experts like racing, you need to study yourself, thats why they are very frustrating, i no more in that line than they do, they put up false favourites , ie, over in basketball points, chasing the small mulit punter, only to change odds at the last minute, most sports punters who chase a small mulit have no idear, and rely on tab odds, or favourites, but they fool these guys, i hate them, { tab } id love to see competition, thats what we need.

tab hatter

oh dear...for someone so knowledgeable as yourself to not know they have competition already....

3 minutes ago, brett said:

tab hatter

You have plenty to say on your first day. Just sort your spelling, grammer and break your sentences up...those commas make it awfully hard to read.