RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Sobering Figures

FYI.....my experience with our mare.

She had her first 4 foals to Rich Hill Stallions ,one died as a 2 yr old the other 3 were winners, then remained bare for maybe 2 years and last 3 servings have been non -Rich Hill stallions.One 2yr old ,a foal and a positive.

Rich Hill have agisted her the entire time ,attended well to her needs ,sent reports and photos and my overall satisfaction with RH is very good.

As in any business ,I think customer satisfaction should be reported and the reader needs to filter the information and use it and other info to make their.decision !

In response to 'small breeders get hammered' above. We all have mixed experiences and along with the smaller number of private breeders has come smaller numbers of studs, and limited options on not only where you can agist mares but also limited options finding those who will prepare horses for sales.

And good luck getting price lists out of the farms to help in your decision making process - it just does not happen! A lot of grey service area here.

Recently I tried a new trainer - well regarded - who had my horse in their care for 6 months. At the end of that time I had had one phone conversation and some video footage of him galloping - and no idea of his abilities. A major waste of $12k as it turned out - and no apology or explanation - which suggests that that is normal communication for them. I still can't quite get my head around it - a new client that pays bills on time in a narrowing market - and that is what I got for my money. Needless to say I won't be going back for more of that experience!

Another recent experience was discovering that a farm where I agist my mares was charging their normal high rates for excellent care and service - but farming the agistment out to someone else down the road for half the price! It was not disclosed and they were pocketing the difference. Definitely the small guy paying for the operation of someone else's dream.

Nothing new or surprising in any of this but It is a small industry, and you can see why the small breeders drop out - most people would only need one experience like this to leave.

It is quite affirming to read about The Oaks situation and it highlights the challenges for all breeders without a successful stallion on board. I am glad Rick put it out there for us - but it also helps explain why the small guys get fleeced as the first casualty of their financial battles....

It can take a long time to find the relationships you are comfortable with and there is a big village needed to raise your babies in this game!

But the underlying excitement and engagement of breeding and racing - and the good folk you do get to meet - is still making the effort worth it for now....

On 1/22/2018 at 10:18 PM, tasman man 11 said:

FYI.....my experience with our mare.

She had her first 4 foals to Rich Hill Stallions ,one died as a 2 yr old the other 3 were winners, then remained bare for maybe 2 years and last 3 servings have been non -Rich Hill stallions.One 2yr old ,a foal and a positive.

Rich Hill have agisted her the entire time ,attended well to her needs ,sent reports and photos and my overall satisfaction with RH is very good.

As in any business ,I think customer satisfaction should be reported and the reader needs to filter the information and use it and other info to make their.decision !

Further to the above......recently I was discussing the future of  our young horses and a very experienced horseman said he approved the pasture ,soil etc at Rich Hill for the early growth of young horses.

Conversely he mentioned a couple of other farms where he thought conditions too dry etc for optimal development.

Again ,this just one mans opinion.

9 hours ago, skoozi said:

We found the fees for NZTBA versus the benefits made no sense. We still breed horses and found that the Australian breeders associations provided better benefits.

Couldn't agree more , we were the same , apart from the Stallion Register there was little appeal to being a member of the organisation. Like many organisations in racing it simply hasn't evolved and doesn't look like doing so either.

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Couldn't agree more , we were the same , apart from the Stallion Register there was little appeal to being a member of the organisation. Like many organisations in racing it simply hasn't evolved and doesn't look like doing so either.

Absolutely nailed my thoughts there

I just tweeted about the ridiculous annual and one-off charges an owner has to stump up...mares, racehorses, young ones....its never ending.  Plus when you send a horse over to Australia, the INTERNATIONAL federation requires you to have another DNA test...(its not an Australian requirement)...so more money, money, money...for what?  Its all online, so why are the fees so expensive - its extortion!

4 hours ago, La Zip said:

I just tweeted about the ridiculous annual and one-off charges an owner has to stump up...mares, racehorses, young ones....its never ending.  Plus when you send a horse over to Australia, the INTERNATIONAL federation requires you to have another DNA test...(its not an Australian requirement)...so more money, money, money...for what?  Its all online, so why are the fees so expensive - its extortion!

...........So bureaucrats can be paid their generous salaries! it's the same fronting up to councils to get minor work done requiring a consent. eg, "Oh, that will be $2,000 if you want to build your garage closer to the boundary". It's a black hole!