RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
TOM(the other Molloy)

Country Clubs - is it worth it?

In the last couple of weeks we have had three abandoned racedays in the south and one postponed. I have started thinking about all this and wonder why any of the country clubs would bother? Just think of some other idea for a piss up and forget about racing. 

I have changed my mind about the Kumara decision.  They made the right call(from their own perspective) abandoning early and in ignoring the offer of the alternative venue (to be fair they never even acknowledged the offer or said thanks, no thanks, or even stick it up your a....).

Had they waited until today - and ignoring the cost and inconvenience to stakeholders -  they would by now have had their 70 tote staff on the way @ $300 a pop ( they travel from Christchurch for Coast meetings so it is a very long day for them and the buses need paying for), 10 or so starting gate staff at a similar cost, their (local) entry gate parking and security staff ready for action, at least $10000 worth of race books printed and probably $30000 worth of catering at the ready.  All up probably $90k of cost that could not be avoided if they waited till race one and the worst happened. Plus the already spent promotional and infrastructure (tents, portaloos etc) expense.

Assuming all went well and they got a $300k oncourse turnover and 5000 paying customers at $15 a pop they would net say $100,000(maybe $150000 but certainly not an astoundingly large amount) in income.  One has to ask the question why would they bother organising something they are going to struggle to make a quid on and where realistically they are going to be at dire risk each year of having to cancel?

Why wouldn't they think of some other sort of unique West Coast (or Central Otago or Wairarapa or wherever) idea and run the thing without the vagaries of the NZ Racing modus operandi.  I am not knocking the NZ Racing industry here but they do have standards and requirements that Clubs must live up to and to be fair Country Clubs,my own included, struggle to meet those and get quite irritated in having to do so where it is not directly related to the racing event.

So assuming they were running pony races or a big screen Ed Sheehan concert or God knows what events their imagination might conjure up they do not have this overriding shadow of the requirements of NZ Racing. They can just carry on their merry way rain hail or shine.  The locals would get their piss up and the club avoid the continual bleating that an abandonment like Kumara has created in people who know nothing and care even less about the health and safety risks inherent in racing.  The ignorance of the general public where something like the  Kumara thing occurs is astounding and quite tiring.  You can talk horse and jockey welfare all you like - all they care about is missing out on their booze and their day out.  None of them has the slightest interest in the racing game nor any inclination to develop interest.

Racing could relocate to Riccarton Wingatui Wellington or wherever and we devotees watch it on telly along with the couple of hundred who might turn up on course.  The TAB gets its product at a bloody sight less cost, the stakeholders their opportunity without having to travel so far and the industry does not attract adverse publicity through unfortunate abandonments.  Surely everyone's a winner?

5 minutes ago, hesi said:

Good post, but what about, with 5,000 people oncourse, the money they would get off food and drink.

I assume the $15/head you quote is the entrance fee??

I recall a while back, the Ellerslie head honcho coming on RC and saying only 15% of their profit comes from the take on oncourse wagering

Yes and the same person claimed that running the Auckland Cup on a Wednesday would be the "Race That Stops Two Nations"

2 minutes ago, hesi said:

Good post, but what about, with 5,000 people oncourse, the money they would get off food and drink.

I assume the $15/head you quote is the entrance fee??

I recall a while back, the Ellerslie head honcho coming on RC and saying only 15% of their profit comes from the take on oncourse wagering

Yeah the catering comes in where I said maybe $150k. But remember the already spent costs of advertising and setup expenses It is one foot on a banana skin stuff financially for outfits like Kumara.  They were broke after a raceday cancellation a few years back.

If they want to persevere with racing they would be better converting the track to an all weather and running a harness meeting. The locals would have no idea of fhe difference.

1 minute ago, hesi said:

At least if cell phone coverage is limited, people will have to use the oncourse tote

Yes that is why I said they need a lot of tote staff. They make nothing on drinks - 95% of people bring their own and the bar income  is soaked up paying local sports clubs to man it.

3 minutes ago, hesi said:

I guess in the normal world, they should be putting forward their business plan to the national body(NZTR), saying it is not profitable under the current scenario, to run a race meeting, and getting advice from that national body on what they could do to make it worthwhile, not too many laughs please.

If I was say, a kiwifruit grower, and what I was doing, was not making a big enough profit to make it worthwhile(same scenario), I would approach NZKGI 

Difference is that a Kiwifruit grower is a business where for the likes of the Club Committees it is a labour of love.  The way Thoroughbred funding is structured you cannot possibly make a big profit nor can you make a huge loss unless you are like Kumara and have huge expenses which are unrecoverable if you abandon

It is not NZTR's fault nor the Club's or the stakeholders - just a fact of modern life.

The more I think about it the more the convert to harness racing, if your heart is set on a race meeting that is, appeals.

The "hidden agenda" will gave centralised racing as item 1 page 1 - it us where it is headed under the guise of

more control and limited resources  not being spread thinly so a positive return is enjoyed by participants in a difficult market 

1 hour ago, turny said:

The "hidden agenda" will gave centralised racing as item 1 page 1 - it us where it is headed under the guise of

more control and limited resources  not being spread thinly so a positive return is enjoyed by participants in a difficult market 

Yes but this is not an NZTR or NZRB blame situation.  It is nobodys fault but like a lot of things in life it has just evolved and we have to put up with it.  Pretty clearly the Tony Pike's of this world have little or no time for the small club (and that is his prerogative)  and I doubt too many tears would be shed if all the Country clubs chucked it in. It is a pretty thankless task.

Guest 2Admin2

I used to be an advocate for reducing the number of tracks (note I didn't say clubs) and centralizing.  However I'm now of the opinion it would fatal to do so in an unplanned fashion where the big clubs are favoured.

Take Ellerslie for example it has the reserves to properly fix their track problems but seem inept to do so.  Or are waiting for a handout like a lot of the "big" tracks.

We need as many of our tracks as functional as possible to allow racing to continue while coping with the vagaries of the weather.

Shouldn't it be conceivable that Ellerslie races at Avondale if the track is better or to avoid a postponement?

Do half our tracks need upgraded infrastructure to accommodate non existent on course patrons?  Wouldn't that money be better spent on the track, stabling facilities and the basic infrastructure to run a meeting?  Foxton?

Something is radically wrong when our so called premier tracks who are mostly flush can't provide a good surface.  Ellerslie, Te Rapa, Awapuni, Riccarton.  Centralisation isn't going to fix whatever is the cause of their problems.

Gate entry @ Hastings ($15 on New years day)...shit fields...iconic family BYO summer raceday...Large crowd...everyone happy

(reasonably priced packages and Gate during spring Carnival (no BYO piss , Livermol day)...no complaints from anyone...Quality fields

other lesser meetings charging $10 entry are sometimes given the wide birth by locals refusing to pay "to get in" when you can watch in comfort at home or club !

mid-week and winter meetings generally free and BYO....get the odd die hard punter attending ! 

I have no complaints...But that is the product...I do believe, big room for improvement (especially mid-week and winter)

to entice on course punters with warm entertainment options.  . 

Tuesday a wee way off in terms of forecasts, and someone  did mention they have had a few dodgy ones other there, best fields for some years, maybe  few hail marys and our fathers may work the oracle, i just don't want to get caught in the confessional box, or i won't get home till supper time.

19 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

It is a pretty thankless task.

That sums it up for me.

You have to be pretty pig headed and resilient to put on these days for patrons ,as the majority of them are unfortunately utterly thankless and will compare your small country club to Ellerslie, Awapuni or even Flemington in facilities,entertainment,catering,beverages,carparking and even quality of horse. They have absolutely no idea the efforts and sacrifices it takes a small band of volunteers to hold the day and they will pull you up on the smallest of things but wouldn't dare mention it to the aforementioned clubs. 

If the meeting is abandoned over something which you have no control over you'll be crucified for it for the rest of time, compliments and support are rare indeed.

The best part about holding these days is the last race of the day, knowing its nearly finished and you can relax. 

The only reason anyone would do it is because they love this brilliant sport that we are all part of.

23 hours ago, hesi said:

Well he found his calling then, selling mung beans and quinoa for the missus:)

Correct! And I bet he is doing a lot better than you are Hesi! Making 60% on Beverages shows how important it is to get heads through the gate. All race Clubs face that challenge. The only event patrons don't get raped on after going through the gate is The Masters Golf at Augusta. Food, beverage and merchandise is as cheap as. A bucket of beer for $3.50, caps $20, Golf shirts $50, etc etc. This post highlights the challenges facing country race clubs. Chris Weaver recognised this and had a highly successful time getting the F & B revenue flowing at Ellerslie. His Mung Bean business is going well ! 

15 minutes ago, Trump said:

Correct! And I bet he is doing a lot better than you are Hesi! Making 60% on Beverages shows how important it is to get heads through the gate. All race Clubs face that challenge. The only event patrons don't get raped on after going through the gate is The Masters Golf at Augusta. Food, beverage and merchandise is as cheap as. A bucket of beer for $3.50, caps $20, Golf shirts $50, etc etc. This post highlights the challenges facing country race clubs. Chris Weaver recognised this and had a highly successful time getting the F & B revenue flowing at Ellerslie. His Mung Bean business is going well ! 

The Masters is hardly an equivalent Trumpy....tickets are notoriously hard to get with their system and I read the other day that a four day pass this year would cost you $6500+.... and all 7 days $9000+....You would want cheap beer after that lot.....:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, hesi said:

Don't sweat it Trump, it's reference to an old witty comment that Chevy made several years ago.

According to some anyway, I'm at the Winz office every Tues or whenever:rolleyes:

Iit won't be till mid afternoon Tuesday as Labour voters struggle to get out of bed.

In the past few years, I have been to more picnic meetings than I have metro tracks. I love these tracks, the characters, the weeds, the space, the quiet and the soggy hot dog. That's how we all became involved, then we take our kids + grandkids to do the same.

In reality, we all know, many of these tracks will go. Its gonna be sad, so let's make the most of it. Someone get a book sorted , I am in for a copy.

We all need to remember, mostly these tracks are run by unpaid members, that do a bloody good job, with little thanks.

Was going to go to hoki + kumara, but I will be back.

1 hour ago, Portfolio said:

In the past few years, I have been to more picnic meetings than I have metro tracks. I love these tracks, the characters, the weeds, the space, the quiet and the soggy hot dog. That's how we all became involved, then we take our kids + grandkids to do the same.

In reality, we all know, many of these tracks will go. Its gonna be sad, so let's make the most of it. Someone get a book sorted , I am in for a copy.

We all need to remember, mostly these tracks are run by unpaid members, that do a bloody good job, with little thanks.

Was going to go to hoki + kumara, but I will be back.

A kiwi version of this... https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/A_Year_on_the_Punt.html?id=Tem_PAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

It is a great read and tells storys of the outback race tracks and storys of locals legends ect.  

Run properly, country race meetings are great. The best I've been to are Hanging Rock (Vic)  on New Years Day ( the kids played cricket and kicked footballs around - on the race track in between races!), and the other is Birdsville - one big pissup! Cairns Amatuers also rates highly. During the Cairns Race two meeting carnival, they hold a Black Tie Ball at the Swimming Pool complex. Approx 2000 people attend ! I've been a few times and it's a lot of fun. That's country racing at its best - when it has the support of the Powers that be, including local Council and Business.

13 hours ago, Trump said:

Mrs Weaver ran the Mung Bean Business and she had a story in The Herald about herself and mentioned how she had to let Weaver go (in other words she sent him packing). Very strange that she would want to announce that in the press so I had some sympathy for him

Weaver claimed that he could make a fortune out of sales at Ellerslie  but the problem was in his time attendance  figures were  crap. The Auckland Cup on a Wednesday was a fizzer with very small crowds to sell any grog to and  modest TAB turnover. Then finally after 10 years of denial, the Cup changed to a  Saturday.  

10 hours ago, Trump said:

Run properly, country race meetings are great. The best I've been to are Hanging Rock (Vic)  on New Years Day ( the kids played cricket and kicked footballs around - on the race track in between races!), and the other is Birdsville - one big pissup! Cairns Amatuers also rates highly. During the Cairns Race two meeting carnival, they hold a Black Tie Ball at the Swimming Pool complex. Approx 2000 people attend ! I've been a few times and it's a lot of fun. That's country racing at its best - when it has the support of the Powers that be, including local Council and Business.

Nobody said anything about them being 'run properly'.  In the case of Kumara history would suggest that it is run very well indeed(not sure where all the accumulated profits have gone or whether they ever existed but anyway......)

What I am talking about is the risk in today's environment that a year's hard work is all for nought when weather factors root your big day

2 hours ago, bloke said:

Mrs Weaver ran the Mung Bean Business and she had a story in The Herald about herself and mentioned how she had to let Weaver go (in other words she sent him packing). Very strange that she would want to announce that in the press so I had some sympathy for him

Weaver claimed that he could make a fortune out of sales at Ellerslie  but the problem was in his time attendance  figures were  crap. The Auckland Cup on a Wednesday was a fizzer with very small crowds to sell any grog to and  modest TAB turnover. Then finally after 10 years of denial, the Cup changed to a  Saturday.  

I think you'll find that Mr and Mrs are still a "business" team. She provides the Product, He does the Marketing and Sales. 

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Nobody said anything about them being 'run properly'.  In the case of Kumara history would suggest that it is run very well indeed(not sure where all the accumulated profits have gone or whether they ever existed but anyway......)

What I am talking about is the risk in today's environment that a year's hard work is all for nought when weather factors root your big day

I agree with you. I was just highlighting a few I've been to and enjoyed immensely.