RaceCafe
Sign in to follow this  
Portfolio

Lazarus. Wow

I remember the race well as it was a herculean run by Elsu in a very good field. Butcher drove it like it was the best horse in the race which it was and it brained them after sitting 3 wide from the 1200. Elsu couldn't have done what Lazarus did last night though. Not sure I have ever seen any other horse that could in that good a field.

2 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

If Gary Hall had let Lazarus go around him he would have got the 1:1 behind the champ and run second. Hall wanted to keep Lazarus 3 wide to give himself the only chance he could to beat him.

Really? It would take a pretty special horse to face the breeze in that quality field over 3000m and win the race. CB would have had a better chance of winning taking the sit behind Lazarus in my opinion. I wonder if G Hall would have driven the same way if the stable had only 1 runner in the field???

13 minutes ago, Alan B said:

Really? It would take a pretty special horse to face the breeze in that quality field over 3000m and win the race. 

Are you serious??? If Lazarus had got around to the breeze he would have won by 5 lengths. Did you see the race man. Lazarus sat three wide the entire trip on a 1.55MR and still only went down in the last few strides.  

Also, the race was over 2536 meters not 3000

The other thing is he sat three wide the trip in a top Group 1 field on an 800 meter saucer track.

It defies belief he was able to do that and still run past one of the best horses in Australasia in Chicago Bull.

On that run and his runs in the last two NZ Cups and Interdom Final he is easily the best harness horse I have ever seen. The reality is that if the runs were reversed between CB and Lazarus CB would have been gone by the turn at best, maybe even down the back the last time and Lazarus would have won by 5 lengths.

10 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Jeepers, did he just do that. He might have run 2nd but we could have forgiven him for getting tired legs on the turn. To keep going beggars belief. In living memory I can only remember the great Creek the Freak sitting three wide the whole journey over the shorter distance of a mile at (I think) Melton.

I will watch this replay for years.

Not the same of course but Sheer Rocknrolls mum put up a huge performance to win a group 1 on the same track a few years back. Was going to have to be 3 horses combined to win, none of which happened to be Mount Eden.

Which kinda brings me back to my original point. Thanks Tool, you are right regarding Elsu..

Regardless of all of the "this could of happened , that nearly happened", nonsense.

It was a run FOR THE AGES, one we will look back on and boggle at for decades . And he DIDNT WIN. That's what makes it so much more incredible.

10 hours ago, Lee270744 said:

It goes to show she can read, helping your partner to win can result in an extended break from participation in the game.

Only in crazy NZ,will they get away with the team driving.

10 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Which kinda brings me back to my original point. Thanks Tool, you are right regarding Elsu..

Regardless of all of the "this could of happened , that nearly happened", nonsense.

It was a run FOR THE AGES, one we will look back on and boggle at for decades . And he DIDNT WIN. That's what makes it so much more incredible.

Ironic the he was named Bettors Best when he went to the sales and his name was changed, but he has lived up to his first name, what a hell of a run last night, just awesome

2 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Are you serious??? If Lazarus had got around to the breeze he would have won by 5 lengths. Did you see the race man. Lazarus sat three wide the entire trip on a 1.55MR and still only went down in the last few strides.  

Also, the race was over 2536 meters not 3000

Yes and with a sit CB would have run second even by 5 lengths it runs 2nd. The way the horse was driven it runs 3rd. And guess what the stablemate wins!!!

I don't think CB was given the best opportunity in the race the way it was driven, but then again that is my opinion.

44 minutes ago, sergio said:

basically it was an arrogant drive thinking no matter what my horse wins if it was a young fella sitting parked 3wide the whole trip he would be crucified the question is why does he think his horse is unbeatable

Arrogant, really!!! You truly believe Purdon thought "oh well cant get in as I hoped , we will win anyway". Go and crawl back under your rock .

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Even your supposed disciple has raised his eyebrows to that one. Laz was enormous and still better viewing even if one didn't have a punt on the race.

Fair enough Happy, just that racing on those small saucer tracks are not conducive to wanting to offload!

The larger tracks in NZ make for far better and fairer racing.

Get sick of hearing about Lazarus etc. even though he is the best horse we have seen for a very long time although maybe the opposition isn’t as strong as when Christen Cullen etc. was racing?

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Fair enough Happy, just that racing on those small saucer tracks are not conducive to wanting to offload!

Get sick of hearing about Lazarus etc. even though he is the best horse we have seen for a very long time although maybe the opposition isn’t as strong as when Christen Cullen etc. was racing?

Brodie, you are digging yourself a big hole mate. Stick to your punting buddy.

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I agree Lazarus is a great horse, but the competition in nz and aus very sub standard at the moment. add to it the lightning fast tracks nowadays can mask things a biit time wise... and a lot of previous champs  raced against other champs,  we didn't have every sectional time rammed down our throats....add to that the handicaps they overcame.

Hi guys I'm back  :D  what a bloody massive effort by The Champ that race was one of the best efforts I seen for longtime, mighty effort! I'm lovin it, even though he didn't win it who are they all talkin bout? The Champ! he didn't shirk the job, he accepted the scrap and kept on truckin right to the wire.....bloody ripper of a race don't care what yuh say :D

it was Geoff Small who trained Elsu

Cheers Iraklis

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

Brodie,

Must admit, Lazarus not a fav horse of mine, but I have to get on board him. Won 2 cups, and that run at GP nothing short of sensational. So opposition not as flash as previous years, but that is not horses fault. He is still going the times.

I think I can honestly say, that no horse I have ever  seen racing from nz, could have done what he did at GP. 

Christian Cullen would have been beaten 600m from home.

Maybe top Aussie staying types, Blake's, poppy + gammalite could have been up there.

As for the track, I quite like it. Exciting racing, they go like the clappers, and you need a good driver to sort out race. Be bloody boring if every track was the same.