RaceCafe
Sign in to follow this  
Portfolio

Lazarus. Wow

Yep huge run, any other horse in the field including Chicago Bull and the winner My Hard Copy would have been been beaten on the turn with the same run.

Interesting that Marky Boy could have snuck into the one one with 2 laps to go but Nat kept him three wide punching up on Ultimate Machete. The opposite of team driving!

Jeepers, did he just do that. He might have run 2nd but we could have forgiven him for getting tired legs on the turn. To keep going beggars belief. In living memory I can only remember the great Creek the Freak sitting three wide the whole journey over the shorter distance of a mile at (I think) Melton.

I will watch this replay for years.

1 hour ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Yep huge run, any other horse in the field including Chicago Bull and the winner My Hard Copy would have been been beaten on the turn with the same run.

Interesting that Marky Boy could have snuck into the one one with 2 laps to go but Nat kept him three wide punching up on Ultimate Machete. The opposite of team driving!

It goes to show she can read, helping your partner to win can result in an extended break from participation in the game.

2 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Really risking ones livelihood for an extended period doing that in Aussie.

A manoeuvre best left for New Zealand.

Not sure there was enough room for him to drop in to one one. She did look like she pulled back a bit to let him in, luckily he didn’t get in,  they would have got s holiday.

Stipes wouldn’t take kindly to that stuff over there, only get away with it in nz.

53 minutes ago, Portfolio said:

Not sure there was enough room for him to drop in to one one. She did look like she pulled back a bit to let him in, luckily he didn’t get in,  they would have got s holiday.

Stipes wouldn’t take kindly to that stuff over there, only get away with it in nz.

There looked like there may be an opportunity to get in but instead of pulling back Nat pushed UM up to keep Lazarus three wide.

3 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Not quite - my read is I don’t want a long holiday I better re think that.

5 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

If she let him in she would have been gone for a few weeks holiday

4 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Jeepers, did he just do that. He might have run 2nd but we could have forgiven him for getting tired legs on the turn. To keep going beggars belief. In living memory I can only remember the great Creek the Freak sitting three wide the whole journey over the shorter distance of a mile at (I think) Melton.

I will watch this replay for years.

In 2005, Elsu sat three wide in the open the entire trip winning The Hunter Cup,

Just imagine if someone out of the two dozen of you who saw the race..were to post a video link of the race sharing in the delight of it all.,

Thank you in advance of my expectation

4 hours ago, Portfolio said:

Yes I agree, I don't think the gap was ever big enough and if he'd tried it would have caused all sorts of strife, and he would have been given a holiday himself.  Lazarus had forward momentum at that stage as he was trying to zip around and so he was always slightly ahead of the gap.  Gary's move forward took Nat a bit off guard I think and it took her a while to close the gap but Gary Hall couldn't let Lazarus go round because it would have been all over for Chicago Bull with others moving up outside him, so his drive keeping Lazarus out there and using him up, kept CB in with a chance to fight out the finish.   Who would have thought that My Hard Copy would run the race of it's life :)

18 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Who would have thought that My Hard Copy would run the race of it's life :)

Hes done this before. Won last years Freemantle Cup and is a million dollar pacer in his own right  So My H C is no mug. Can be lethal off a fast pace saved for one run. Gary Hall Snr said on Perth radio racing on Fri that he has never worked better than in the past week so had to be given some show to be running on strongly especially the way the race was run.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

but Gary Hall couldn't let Lazarus go round because it would have been all over for Chicago Bull with others moving up outside him, so his drive keeping Lazarus out there and using him up, kept CB in with a chance to fight out the finish.   

If Gary Hall had let Lazarus go around him he would have got the 1:1 behind the champ and run second. Hall wanted to keep Lazarus 3 wide to give himself the only chance he could to beat him.

2 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

In 2005, Elsu sat three wide in the open the entire trip winning The Hunter Cup,

Not even close. He sat last improved around the field from about the 1600 and sat three wide from the 1200.