RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Hokitika Gone

4 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Your post highlights one of the biggest problems with club racing - blind parochialism.

Give me a definition of inconsistency?

Freda says the track at Hokitika was OK.

You are the one who said Reefton was inconsistent Admin and now you are asking me to define inconsistency?

I don't like people insulting my track and I am inviting you to put up or shut up.

So where is an example

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Reefton have formally offered the track for Saturday if Kumara decide not to race.  It has had rain but nowhere near as much as the other tracks and is in excellent nick.  Probably a dead 6 at worst at present.  At this stage horses apparently to gallop at Kumara tomorrow morning to check the track.  There are definite issues I hear with the bend from the winning post to the 1100m point.

Reefton is the logical place to transfer because the TAB are relocating there after Saturday anyway - just bring it forward a day or two.

This is an  embarrassment

Good plan, but whats the reality of them taking it up.

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

health and safety Porty - now it can also be unhealthy to sit on a chair all day so maybe some of those jobs at HQ can be abandoned too ;)

Interesting that the ashes went ahead, given the searing temperatures, i guess the aussies in front may have been the reason.

45 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Just give me an example of an inconsistency at Reefton Admin.  Hokitika Greymouth and Kumara all suffer from it because they have all been dug up and 'renovated' but you are talking shit about Reefton.  Sure if it gets wet they come down the outside as they do at every NZ track but to suggest inconsistency is fairyland stuff.  It is the best surface on the Coast(probably in the South Island) by a street but is simply too small so has a limited life.

Every track in NZ that has been 'renovated' has been cocked up without exception and 99% of the abandonments relate to renovated tracks.

Thats the problem, and a long list of tracks, all searching for thee perfect surface, and there all wrecked.

7 minutes ago, Shad said:

Good plan, but whats the reality of them taking it up.

extremely unlikely I would say.  First thing is they have to abandon early, second they have to get the TAB's co operation(easier said than done in my experience), third they have to elect to relocate and fourth they have to decide on Reefton not Greymouth(which is subject to the same weather pattern as they are so will be a bog as well).

I imagine Kumara would rather not race at all than relocate.  If they made the call right now we might be able to cobble together a meeting for Saturday.

And all of that presumes that the stories I am hearing about the state of Kumara are true.  It might be perfectly OK to race on for all I know and it would be really tragic for the Club if there is another abandonment.

I do agree with Tom, this is becoming an embarrasment. After last year I just couldn't even imagine this year would start like this.

I do feel this has gone beyond pointing the finger at individuals at specific tracks, someone needs to be taking leadership. The Racing Board or NZTR need to make it clear that someone is taking responsibility for this, that someone is in constant comunication with tracks (esp once a year clubs) prior to meetings to ensure everything is being done correctly. And if things do go wrong that person needs to stand up and explain what went wrong and who cocked up and what steps are being taken to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Just now, kdt said:

That is not really too funny kdt(though I appreciate what you are getting at).

Up the Grey Valley and through Reefton up the Inangahua Valley it is bloody dry.  They need a hell of a lot of rain to get the grass growing again especially those without irrigation,

The Reefton track is OK because it has been irrigated leading up the Trotting meeting but the surrounds are burnt off badly.  There has been an inch or so of rain in the last two weeks up there but the farmers need a lot more than that.

The Coast is equipped to deal with a lot of rain(not that you would know it given the perilous racing situation) but it is not equipped to deal with the dry. 

5 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

That is not really too funny kdt(though I appreciate what you are getting at).

Up the Grey Valley and through Reefton up the Inangahua Valley it is bloody dry.  They need a hell of a lot of rain to get the grass growing again especially those without irrigation,

The Reefton track is OK because it has been irrigated leading up the Trotting meeting but the surrounds are burnt off badly.  There has been an inch or so of rain in the last two weeks up there but the farmers need a lot more than that.

The Coast is equipped to deal with a lot of rain(not that you would know it given the perilous racing situation) but it is not equipped to deal with the dry. 

Hi Tom, I was more pointing out the irony of it given the situation. Agree not good trying to farm in a dustbowl. So unlike the West Coast and Buller.

Guest 2Admin2

These abandonments are the unintended consequences of legislation and poor policy.  NZTR'S mandated D4 is impossible to achieve and open to corruption.

We all know the consequences of OSH legislation on small businesses.  The most ludicrous of which is the requirement to test every jug cord.

6 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

These abandonments are the unintended consequences of legislation and poor policy.  NZTR'S mandated D4 is impossible to achieve and open to corruption.

We all know the consequences of OSH legislation on small businesses.  The most ludicrous of which is the requirement to test every jug cord.

admin - just think what the unemployment rate would be if OSH wasn't about to give the unemplyable a fulltime job!

As for the testing of jug cord - that is easy to get around. Get one of these one's and tell them the jug doesn't have a cord ;)

image.png

Guest 2Admin2
7 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

admin - just think what the unemployment rate would be if OSH wasn't about to give the unemplyable a fulltime job!

As for the testing of jug cord - that is easy to get around. Get one of these one's and tell them the jug doesn't have a cord ;)

image.png

LOL they'll still test the appliance.  I was at a workplace and they even tested ornaments on staff desks which belonged to the staff.

1 hour ago, kdt said:

Hi Tom, I was more pointing out the irony of it given the situation. Agree not good trying to farm in a dustbowl. So unlike the West Coast and Buller.

Yes I appreciate that.  No offence taken but those poor farmers are in trouble.  It has rained in the last couple of hours but they need lots more.

I suppose we could all overlook these abandoned meetings if all were due to mother nature, 

But really, most are due to human error, people not doing their jobs correctly.

Spaying is done weeks before plants die, so surely someone could have sorted problem before now? 

Then someone left sprinkler on overnight down south??? 

Oh deary me, what next.

Feel bloody sorry for owners, jockeys & trainers. At least being a punter, I can just bet elsewhere. Nz racing is declining every day.

35 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Looking on my nsw tab app and noticed Hokitika meeting had finished. Gee they must have an early start. But no they didn't even  

start. Bit of a joke really. Doesn't seem to be anyone with any answers. 

If it is dry in the period before a meeting and it rains close to the day then the meeting is stuffed - I have said it a hundred times.

It was not just bare patches at Hoki there was surface water as well and, according to the report inconsistencies in the going(which says to me parts of the track were better than others and maybe the going improved or deteriorated in a very short distance - which would make it very difficult for the horses)

Of course if they irrigate and do not monitor it very carefully then there is a greater risk of inconsistencies a la Omakau.

Remember Riccarton irrigating the outside in the middle of winter to stop them using that wide strip?  Irrigation is a thorn in the side of NZ Racing(though not able to say what they should replace it with but Pitty says no irrigation should be applied in the week before a meeting.)

When did irrigation start as far as getting the track to a certain rating and not to just get the grass green. 

Be interesting to see how many meetings were lost in the period prior to irrigating. Bit of a balancing act that no one seems to get right. 

46 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

When did irrigation start as far as getting the track to a certain rating and not to just get the grass green. 

Be interesting to see how many meetings were lost in the period prior to irrigating. Bit of a balancing act that no one seems to get right. 

Well there were very few but.....

Of course Health and Safety was not such a focal point in those days

5 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I do agree with Tom, this is becoming an embarrasment. After last year I just couldn't even imagine this year would start like this.

I do feel this has gone beyond pointing the finger at individuals at specific tracks, someone needs to be taking leadership. The Racing Board or NZTR need to make it clear that someone is taking responsibility for this, that someone is in constant comunication with tracks (esp once a year clubs) prior to meetings to ensure everything is being done correctly. And if things do go wrong that person needs to stand up and explain what went wrong and who cocked up and what steps are being taken to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Most fruits rot from the top.

43 minutes ago, chevy86 said:

Correct Tom--not just a focal point but an unbearable intrusion.Time to break the shackles and get that silver tongue down the mine!

You're kidding surely? If you think a budding Octogenarian who was voted out of Office by his own Electorate can fix the mess - you are definitely kidding yourself. Forget him.

7 minutes ago, Trump said:

You're kidding surely? If you think a budding Octogenarian who was voted out of Office by his own Electorate can fix the mess - you are definitely kidding yourself. Forget him.

Even Winny can't ignore the Worksafe Legislation. Health and Safety is important, but has gone overboard in my opinion, to the point where 'risk' is deemed a bad thing by the legislators. I guess it has been good for some businesses - have you seen the millions of road cones out these days!