RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Another Legal Bunfight on the way in Ozzie

Stewards lay more than 250 charges relating to Aquanita probe

Robert Smerdon faces 115 charges Photo: Darryl Sherer

Article Author

Brad Waters

09 January 2018

3 Comments

Stewards have laid more than 250 charges, including 115 against trainer Robert Smerdon, relating to the alleged administration of alkalising agents to horses over a seven-year period.

The inquiry began with the alleged raceday treatment of the Smerdon-trained Lovani at Flemington in October last year and spread to other Aquanita Racing trainers.

Smerdon has been charged with being “a party to the administration of alkalinising agents and/or medications to a horse or horses on a race day” on 115 occasions between June 2010 and October 2017.

Stuart Webb (three charges), Tony Vasil (seven charges), Liam Birchley (three charges) and Mornington trainer Trent Pennuto (four charges) were all embroiled in the investigation as the probe developed.

The trainers, along with employees Greg Nelligan, Denise Nelligan and Daniel Garland will also face charges relating to the inquiry, which Racing Victoria stewards said was ongoing.

The trainers have been charged with breaching AR 175(a), which states stewards can penalise, “any person who, in their opinion, has been guilty of any dishonest, corrupt or fraudulent, improper or dishonourable action or practice in connection with racing”.

The trainers were also charged with being a party to the administration of alkalising agents over various periods.

Greg Nelligan topped the charge count with 123. Stewards also laid alternative charges against him of having “a syringe, needle, nasogastric tube or other instrument that could be used” in his possession in a vehicle used to transport a horse to a race meeting after catching him with a “modified syringe” at Flemington in October last year.

Nelligan has also alternatively been charged with attempting or administering to administer sodium bicarbonate to Lovani at 3.08pm, 2½ hours before her scheduled race at Flemington.

Nelligan has also been charged with laying three horses under the care of a trainer for whom he worked, administering Vicks to the nose of a horse at Bendigo in 2012 and failing to comply with a stewards’ directive to hand over his mobile phone.

The Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board will hear the cases on dates to be fixed.

Queensland-based trainer Birchley indicated on Tuesday he would defend himself against the charges but would make no other comment, on legal grounds.

Vicks? I hope that it's not retrospective in this Country!

They are going back to 2012 in Australia!

Who would believe, or am I naive over such an off the shelf product of so long ago?

Remind me not to get a cold in winter, and go anywhere near my horse!

Better still, don't allow me to have a winter galloper just in case!

Can they retrospectively charge Trainers and the administrators   as far back as  the 1980's  with using VICKS ?
Jesus,  Bob and me going to Jail.Brother too.!!

Sir Cullus ,Kauere Lad, Ardee One. Ruletta, Black Visa, Ballynetty, Maya, Silver Can, 

Arcle Star, ( Russell Campbell's, Fair Fleet, Tom Jones )

I will swear I have put VICKS up their noses. And others. 

Including a Wolf Fisher owned pony at The Easter Show, called "Pilot".

He won Champion pony Jumping and we gave him a home for years at Matamata.

Any young well organised NZ Trainer should contact Racing Victoria and the MRC and indicate their interest to move to Melb - if boxes are available. I'm sure there will be some available soon! I might add that Paul Shailer is doing a great job in Qld as Foreman for CJW. Presents well on Raceday too! 

7 minutes ago, Trump said:

Any young well organised NZ Trainer should contact Racing Victoria and the MRC and indicate their interest to move to Melb - if boxes are available. I'm sure there will be some available soon! I might add that Paul Shailer is doing a great job in Qld as Foreman for CJW. Presents well on Raceday too! 

Trump, a great idea. They would clean up, as generally they are better horsemen anyway. 

11 hours ago, Insider said:

Trump, a great idea. They would clean up, as generally they are better horsemen anyway. 

May well be. I think combined with a more professional operation in Aust,  it brings them to another level. Not all make it but I was very impressed with Paul Shailer, the way he presented, the way he spoke using all the right words. Watch CJW being interviewed and you can see that Shailer has been watching and listening. His strike rate in SEQ is very good too. Bjorn Baker another one. Bussuttin/Young Team is another. I think there's. Going to be an opening in Melb soon and someone like Stephen Marsh or Tony Pike should put their hands up NOW in case that opening comes up (I'm sure it will). Out of their comfort zone into an environment that has a better future than the one they are in. 

12 hours ago, Black Kirrama said:

Can they retrospectively charge Trainers and the administrators   as far back as  the 1980's  with using VICKS ?
Jesus,  Bob and me going to Jail.Brother too.!!

Sir Cullus ,Kauere Lad, Ardee One. Ruletta, Black Visa, Ballynetty, Maya, Silver Can, 

Arcle Star, ( Russell Campbell's, Fair Fleet, Tom Jones )

I will swear I have put VICKS up their noses. And others. 

Including a Wolf Fisher owned pony at The Easter Show, called "Pilot".

He won Champion pony Jumping and we gave him a home for years at Matamata.

Pilot was actually Liz Paykel's pony. I used vicks in my pony's nose too, probably at the same show, and that was the early 60.s