RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jeepers

Firenze

19 minutes ago, jeepers said:

Would someone please tell Emily that this horse's name is probably not Fire - ense as I believe the correct Italian word ,is fi ren tse or fi ren ze. It is an Italian word for Florence.

Seriously who gives a.

You call a horse/child whatever a not easily recognisable name and you risk it being miss-pronounced. 

3 hours ago, jeepers said:

Would someone please tell Emily that this horse's name is probably not Fire - ense as I believe the correct Italian word ,is fi ren tse or fi ren ze. It is an Italian word for Florence.

14 minutes ago, La Zip said:

Anyone who went to school knows how to pronounce Firenze, or should, ''seriously who gives.'' seriously?

Anyone who has been to Italy certainly would....the posh voice doesn't necessarily equate with being bright....:rolleyes:

Tauhei Notts you are correct. The original Firenze was trained at Takanini by George Cameron. He raced 160 times for 16 wins. His biggest wins were the Ohinemuri Cup at Paeroa on 11/3/61 ridden by Des Wyatt. The Whangarei Cup on 28/10/61 ridden by Peter Ryan. The Whakatane Cup on 8/8/64 ridden by David Peake.

I wasn't trying to take the piss. Most intelligent people learn from constructive criticism and as Ohokaman suggests Italians know the correct pronunciation as did the Italian gentleman who watched the race with me,today.

10 hours ago, weasel57 said:

don't het me started on Tracsode presenters' and commentators' pronunciation of horses; names

the latest 'classic' has to be Tevor (Wilkes?) calling the harness horse TRES VITE (rhymes with WHITE!)

even though it's French for 'very fast' and pronounced tray -veet

That's how you get the job as a Trackside presenter.

Just ask the people from Taaauooobo and Dee Rapaa.

12 hours ago, weasel57 said:

don't het me started on Tracsode presenters' and commentators' pronunciation of horses; names

the latest 'classic' has to be Tevor (Wilkes?) calling the harness horse TRES VITE (rhymes with WHITE!)

I raced a half sister to Plus Vite, a group winner at Rosehill, never once did I hear Plus Vite pronounced Plus [Rhyming with Us] Vite [Rhyming with White] Ian Craig and Brian Martin all pronounced and announced as per French grammar.

On 1/9/2018 at 9:03 PM, weasel57 said:

I have certainly heard the mispronunciation but it was not Trevor.