RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Jape

Edith Kern RIP

It came to my notice that a past greyhound trainer, Edith Kern, had died recently. 

Edith became well known through the deeds of her very good greyhound, McKern, who was a son of Wendy's Legend x Pandalola. McKern was beaten a nose by another very smart dog in Cool Tee Jay in a Wellington Cup and Edith also campaigned McKern in Australia.

Later Edith joined forces with Owen Marron and this was a formidable combination, enjoying  considerable success particularly at Hutt Park, on the grass track at Palmerston North, and at the Solway racecourse. Indeed, for a time, Masterton was very much the centre of greyhound racing in the Central Districts. 

As the tracks mentioned came to be closed down, or reconstructed in the case of Palmy, so the Kern/Marron names came to be seen less often among the trainers' lists until they slipped out of the greyhound game completely.

Edith Kern was an admirable member of the greyhound community and will be well remembered by those who were also part of the sport at that same time.

That is very sad to hear, I liked Edith a lot God the last time I saw them Edith and Owen had bought this property in Masterton 

I mean this house was huge it had a ballroom and library apparently the house in the early 1900s was the swinging place in Masterton.

I can remember Owen converted one space into an empty out yard it had a roof over it so the dogs wouldn’t get wet when it was raining when they wanted a pee..

They had Edith’s mum living with them, she was a real hard case.

Good memories..

Very sad 

49 minutes ago, Jape said:

It came to my notice that a past greyhound trainer, Edith Kern, had died recently. 

Edith became well known through the deeds of her very good greyhound, McKern, who was a son of Wendy's Legend x Pandalola. McKern was beaten a nose by another very smart dog in Cool Tee Jay in a Wellington Cup and Edith also campaigned McKern in Australia.

Later Edith joined forces with Owen Marron and this was a formidable combination, enjoying  considerable success particularly at Hutt Park, on the grass track at Palmerston North, and at the Solway racecourse. Indeed, for a time, Masterton was very much the centre of greyhound racing in the Central Districts. 

As the tracks mentioned came to be closed down, or reconstructed in the case of Palmy, so the Kern/Marron names came to be seen less often among the trainers' lists until they slipped out of the greyhound game completely.

Edith Kern was an admirable member of the greyhound community and will be well remembered by those who were also part of the sport at that same time.

Yes I was saddened to hear when I was advised as well. Unfortunately had been battling illness for awhile so in a better place now. We started training dogs in the Solway days(actually trained my first winner there :D) and Edith was always a cheerful lady happy to help us out. My thoughts are with Owen in this tough time.

My deepest sympathies to Owen Marron. Edith was a lovely lady and was passionate about her dogs, whether they were her beloved greyhounds or other people's pooches, who she was grooming. I had one of Pandalola's pups and Lola produced some lovely litters - the progeny inheriting her calm nature. Edith and Owen were a formidable partnership both on and off the track and two of the nicest people I met in my time in the sport, always willing to share their wealth of knowledge with newcomers like me. I am very sad to hear of her passing. I enjoyed those days days at Hutt Park in the company of Edith and Owen and Owen's late Dad Joe. May she Rest In Peace.