RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Spikecity

ALL STARS "NOT GOOD FOR THE GAME"-ITS A MYTH

ALL STARS "NOT GOOD FOR THE GAME"-ITS A MYTH

(EDITORIAL)

You hear it wherever you go from a vocal minority-the amazing success of Mark and Natalie is "not good for the game". It is hard to understand what this actually means given aiming to win and excellence in achieving that is what horse racing is supposed to be about. But it appears that dominating of Premier days leaving rival owners out of pocket is one factor.

While the real sportsmen and women in the industry applaud the remarkable chain of success unparallelled in 130 years of our history rivals  frustration over what they call the "blue army" is understandable. Mark and Natalie's charges are always hard to beat But "not good for the game ?" -its a myth.

In 2017 All Stars won 50 Premier races,  a staggering feat. But in fact  horses from Rolleston started in less than 50 per cent of the Premier races held. That left 80 Premier races to be contested without any All Stars colours in the field. Hardly extreme domination-more extreme strike rate, which is quite a different thing. 

Domination by large stables,hardly new,  is as inevitable in harness racing as it has been with the thoroughbreds. It  takes superior horsemanship and the business savvy to capitalise.The forces behind it-especially the dominance of the Yearling Sales  now almost  a trainer's greatest challenge of the season -and the financial power syndication brings, are similar. It's progress. Indeed relying on a torch-bearing stable like All Stars to raise the profile of the game is far superior to having a series of small teams with little national profile.

Of course this sort of thing is not new as Roy and Barry could tell you. Success always brings envy as well as admiration and success on the All Stars scale adds to both. 

Their success can be put down to expert selection of yearlings (more like a genius); expert development of young stars but equally with older ones; patience success brings; a vision of how harness racing is developing at the top level; round the clock planning and hands on work ethic amounting to enormous dedication and so the attraction to owners willing to invest.

Most thinking administrators, far from wanting to blunt the All Stars success (as the new rating system has) know encouraging their long term committment to our industry is essential if they want to be on the big stage.

Stats show there  are still plenty of races left to win for others if their horses are good enough. All Stars being "Not good for the game" is not an excuse if they are not.

(Site Editor) 

5 hours ago, Spikecity said:

And yes Brodie will pull this to bits because he won't like being way off the money again, but really it comes down to whether you are a positive thinker or a negative one. Glass half full stuff - get someone else to explain that to you Brodie.

I was trying to work out who wrote this and where had it come from? Guerin? Harnesslink? Informant? but it comes from the stable itself!

As Kotare quite rightly points out, what would possess them to write it? Feeling a bit paranoid so have to justify things?

It deserves to be pulled to bits otherwise it is propaganda.

The success of the All Stars is an achievement second to none, no doubt about it, but a great sporting success story (like a monopolistic business) can eventually erode the well being of the sport that it is in. Eg The Auckland rugby team of the 80s...no crowds and no interest after years of winning so easily.

Without even having to read the article one can draw conclusions about it but it is most likely a sharp response to something said or the reaction to a build-up of negative comments over time.

Looking forward to reading it closely once I wake up fully.

Someone needs to let their fixation with Brodie go, post something and then denigrate a person with 2 following posts before they can say anything, reminds me of what a certain fella with a private army would do.

At least this article is good material for 'The Box Seat' which has become a giant yawn this season.

I just doubt those two will have the nerve to utilise it fully as it has the potential to make all industry participants think about how they operate but most don't like to lift the carpet and see all the flaws they have themselves.

Happy, how do we know it came from the All Stars Stable??

We all know what an outstanding training feat that the All Stars have!

Would be very interesting to actually see these stats in regard to All Stars Horses not starting in Premier races in NZ!

They say started in less than 50 per cent of premier races?

By Premier races they obviously aren’t talking GROUP races where they always clean up and this is not great for the future of harness racing.

The fact is that other trainers are not bothering with 2year olds now because they know they are wasting their time.

2 year old racing many years ago started in Chch in November and now there is nothing anywhere near that time!

We all are entitled to an opinion on this subject and it is very upsetting for Spike City to have a go at “The Brodster” as it is so early in the New Year,

As Kotare pointed out. It is an editorial from their site. Not taken from anywhere else as it is not acknowledged so they wrote it. I wonder if Mark Purdon and Natalie Rasmussen read and approve before putting up.

I was thinking the same about the premier races and group races. Group races or races stakes would probably present a better picture.

A very odd statement under the All Stars banner below....but not too much success? image.thumb.png.c54be8a4666ac81740dfc546c894c964.png

I'm with you Spike, those two races last night were bloody rippers :D I'm lovin it! and all the talk how the driver Voak (on V-Tin) was gunna make The Champ work get him off the bit yadda yadda Lazzie was only warmin to his work, won as he liked yusssss!!!!!! geez did he break a sweat? NAH!

GOOOOOO!!!!! Mark & Nat and their team congrats!!!!!!

Cheers Iraklis

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Happy, how do we know it came from the All Stars Stable??

We all know what an outstanding training feat that the All Stars have!

Would be very interesting to actually see these stats in regard to All Stars Horses not starting in Premier races in NZ!

They say started in less than 50 per cent of premier races?

By Premier races they obviously aren’t talking GROUP races where they always clean up and this is not great for the future of harness racing.

The fact is that other trainers are not bothering with 2year olds now because they know they are wasting their time.

2 year old racing many years ago started in Chch in November and now there is nothing anywhere near that time!

We all are entitled to an opinion on this subject and it is very upsetting for Spike City to have a go at “The Brodster” as it is so early in the New Year,

Brodie the difference in later starting 2 yos is probably due to jewels .Hard to have a 2yo racing in NZ and then again in June

It does have a whiff of tilting at windmills about it. (I thought Dave McCarthy looked after the All Stars website material, but I could be wrong...)

That said, despite being rather clumsily worded, the article itself is more right than wrong.  I don't think there can be any doubt that the Purdon/Rasmussen combination has brought a combination of professionalism, dedication, and yes, 'genius' that other stables find hard to match.  But all of these things are replicable, and attempts by other trainers to do so will eventually not only even things out, but exponentially raise overall standards in the process.  It's probably too late for the old guard of trainers, but the new breed --- the Harringtons, the Todds, for example --- are potential winners from this.

In the short run though, there are definitely downsides to Purdon/Rasmussen domination --- having 50% of feature race fields come from one stable does diminish interest (and conjure up conspiracy theories!)  But I don't agree with the claim that this is having a detrimental effect on the quality of NZ and Auckland Cup fields. Yes, the latter wasn't the greatest, but that's hardly surprising when the stake is only $250K.  The NZ Cup field, on the other hand, could hardly be sniffed at --- Lazarus, Dream About Me, Heaven Rocks, Tiger Tara, Titan Banner, Have Faith In Me, and Maxim --- was at least as good as any in recent memory.  And far better than many of more distant memory.   

And I agree with Iraklis --- seeing a horse like Lazarus dominate the best available fields on both sides of the Tasman convinces me that the benefits of Purdon/Rasmussen domination outweigh the costs.

9 minutes ago, Basil said:

It's probably too late for the old guard of trainers, but the new breed --- the Harringtons, the Todds, for example --- are potential winners from this.

A very good point, Basil.

To compare to another sport if I may, it could be like the Tiger Woods effect. Every youngster will look at the standards he set, a la The All Stars and set high standards for themselves comparable to Tiger and then you have the next generation of young ones coming through eg Speith, Thomas and Rahm that will compete at the top level from the very beginning of their careers.

Lets hope so.

2 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Bringing the interdoms back to nz  will be great for the sport.

Sure will, The Aussie V NZ contest in New Zealand may interest the news agencies more than domestic racing no matter how prestigious. It has to be 'big' to get any traction these days.

But will be interesting to see how many Aussies bother to come over. Then we may see the true strength of the All Star domination!

Just now, Flagship uberalles said:

I wish they would run a trotters section at the inters again as well

In the best interests of the whole industry they must! Surely.

I recall Mick 'Marker Pegs' Guerin said so on The Box Seat if I remember correctly. Couldn't agree more.

26 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

having 50% of feature race fields come from one stable does diminish interest

Don't know if this is right or not, but someone who is well informed told me in the U.S. stables are limited to 3 starters per race.  Anyone know if that is correct?

Nobody writes a "rebuttal article" unless they feel there's something they need to refute!

Obviously the All Stars stable is "feeling the heat"from their unprecedented domination of the industry, and feel the need to "defend" their position.

Why else would they get their PR machine to swing into action immediately after one of their most dominant Premier days ever, with the message that "this is not a bad thing'?

Maybe a pre-emptive strike ahead of potential moves to "spread the money" more equitably?

1 hour ago, Basil said:

the Purdon/Rasmussen combination has brought a combination of professionalism, dedication, and yes, 'genius' that other stables find hard to match.  But all of these things are replicable,

You are right of course in your first sentence, but genius not only in horsemanship but in logistical & administrative management as well as having owners with the deepest pockets. This makes it almost impossible to replicate, especially for younger trainers. I think the domination will continue for some time to come yet.

One glimmer of hope for trainers  though, with Mark busy in Aussie the team back here may not quite perform to the impossibly high standard we saw on Auckland .Cup night.

2 minutes ago, JackSprat said:

The propaganda article takes a pot shot at the ratings system

That was an odd thing to put in the article as it is a completely different subject....unless it isn't!

Most thinking administrators, far from wanting to blunt the All Stars success (as the new rating system has) know encouraging their long term committment to our industry is essential if they want to be on the big stage.

So the new rating system has blunted their success? Sorry, but I missed seeing that!!

This quote from the article leaves me confused.

Who is 'they'? and what is the 'big stage'?

What's not love about AllStars? they always turn their horses out so well, they always look trained to the minute and well presented it's so great to see :D you know your always gunna see summit special, win lose or draw, from a fans point of view that's what keeps us all comin back for more.....and competition across the ditch well you know the story there, AllStars fly the flag with their guns and I'm lovin it, it keeps me for 1 stayin up til the dodgy hours to watch our Kiwi reps takin em on over there.......lets just enjoy it while it lasts I say, long may they reign yep yep yep  :D

Cheers Iraklis

18 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

What's not love about AllStars? they always turn their horses out so well, they always look trained to the minute and well presented it's so great to see :D you know your always gunna see summit special, win lose or draw, from a fans point of view that's what keeps us all comin back for more.....and competition across the ditch well you know the story there, AllStars fly the flag with their guns and I'm lovin it, it keeps me for 1 stayin up til the dodgy hours to watch our Kiwi reps takin em on over there.......lets just enjoy it while it lasts I say, long may they reign yep yep yep  :D

Too true.

How do you feel about the rest of the industry? The battlers as such, do you enjoy going to Cambridge and watching the maidens?

5 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

How on earth does the ratings system blunt their success? And does it mean they will boycott clubs if the administrators don't meet the all star  "requirements" wonder who wrote this crap.

Long term commitment?

If you are going to write articles like that on your website then let us speculate!

Lets really go for it and say this is the first step in abandoning NZ and going to set up in Australia. Why not, that is where the money is.

Iraklis will be beside himself........He won't cope with all the late nights! If they go to Oz, that will make them an Australian stable since Natalie is from there....Iraklis.....they will be the enemy! lol

10 hours ago, Spikecity said:

P.S. loved watching Laz and Mach slaughter them across the ditch - the Aussies must be as sick of the Blue Army as you Brodie

Far from it. There has been domination by two large stables for a number of years bringing in horses to WA from NZ. i.e. Hall and Bond. It's good to see someone else come in and win some big races. Well done the Purdon stable.