RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tailedoff

lack of information on Omakau (Friday)

Talk out of Central Otago is that any rain would doom the Omakau meeting on Friday

well they had 12mm in 2 hours - where is the information on NZRacing.co.nz to tell people what is happening? what tests/inspections will they do this time before giving it the all clear?

or will it be a send them out in the first race and hope for the best situation?

48 minutes ago, Tailedoff said:

was a Dead 6 - but there could be many reasons for this one - are the roads open?

all roads are and were open  no storm just a bit of rain

very poor show blame Mike Godber  its all his fault

26 minutes ago, Winner69 said:

Cook Strait dead calm ....sparkling waters on a still sunny hot Wellington day

is there a storm or something

Still, sunny and hot are not words one usually associates with Wellington weather :lol:

Make the most of it the forecast for you is pretty dire later in the day.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

They don't take horses anymore if it is too rough

Yes I am aware of that.  My concern was that they might not get on the boat not that they may meet trouble when they were on it.

A stable I was working for in the 80's lost a horse on that Powley float.  One of four to die on it

1 hour ago, Belinda said:

Tom, I wasn't aware that horses other than Powley died that day :(

Yes there were four I am sure.  A horse of the Dennis Bros called The Imposter, Powley, the one I had some interest in Mead (I think though could be wrong) and another.  I remember the Float Driver telling us how hot it was and how hideous in the truck.  I think it was full but again could be wrong but he definitely said it was unbearably hot.

You bring back some very sad memories for me. She had won the George Adams (Tattersall) in the January of 1982 with Jimmy Pankhurst in the saddle.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, Powley was a magnificent looking animal and at the peak of her powers, just returning from a group one victory at Trentham if I remember correctly

Agree, i think she was buried at waterlea race course, was told that from an old acquaintance, he also said that a horse call miles better was also on that fateful trip, but survived okay, my old friends long term memory not to bad, so i cant disagree, i can remember as a young boy hearing that devastating news of her death, and still to this day feel sad about the whole episode.Spare a thought to all those owners that have suffered losses of horses in tragic circumstances, no matter how good they were, something i would never want to experience.

45 minutes ago, Shad said:

Agree, i think she was buried at waterlea race course, was told that from an old acquaintance, he also said that a horse call miles better was also on that fateful trip, but survived okay, my old friends long term memory not to bad, so i cant disagree, i can remember as a young boy hearing that devastating news of her death, and still to this day feel sad about the whole episode.Spare a thought to all those owners that have suffered losses of horses in tragic circumstances, no matter how good they were, something i would never want to experience.

Powley was a fantastic mare. Saw her beat Hikotere by a nose in the Group 1 George Adams at Trentham on the third day of the cup carnival in '82. Died a few months later on that ill fated Cook Strait crossing. She was brilliantly bred and her value at stud would have been enormous.

Miles Better was a grand old campaigner who beat The Dimple and Joyarty in the Invercargill Gold Cup and finished second behind Firefly in the Dunedin Gold Cup in that same 1982 season. Was not aware he was also on that crossiing.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

She was indeed buried at Waterloo.   Think it might have been after the St Leger and have an idea The Imposter ran third in that the day before.  Not sure whether Miles Better was on the float. 

According to some old records, miles better may not been on that trip, those same records say powley finished 6th in her last race, i thought she had won that day at Wellington, guess it depends how accurate they are.

4 hours ago, Shad said:

According to some old records, miles better may not been on that trip, those same records say powley finished 6th in her last race, i thought she had won that day at Wellington, guess it depends how accurate they are.

Her death was after the Wellington meeting Saturday 13th March. She ran 6th in the DB 1600. Could be wrong but I think both The Twinkle and The Dimple were also on the ferry