RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Insider

What chance is there......

On 1/3/2018 at 0:25 PM, Insider said:

For your information, about 15 years ago a concerted effort was made to allow a proper carnival to be set around the Sales WITHOUT stuffing the Wellington Cup Carnival. It was a joint venture between the ARC and the WRC. Leading the Auckland team was Russel Warwick and leading the WRC team was Ron Dixon. What was agreed was to move the sales one  week further into February thus creating a one week gap between the Wellington Carnival week the new proposed Carnival.  Who was affected. To start with the Te Rapa Carnival was,  but that was going to be accommodated by a date that Auckland had/has in March as a Saturday would have come out of there and everyone would have shuffled along the one week if you understand what I mean.

The Derby would have moved to the new Carnival to show case our best, but instead we have a sweepstake for babies and now a million dollar 1600m race for three year old's that is stuffing the NZ pattern of racing.

Why didnt it happen? Because Peter Vela refused to move the Sales by one week.  

But the worst part of this is that the horses racing in those races are restricted to sales horses.  The issue is once again the lack of setting up the championships to work out who the best horse is and where the superior performances were at the end of the season. No-one understands that you need this aspect of racing to set the handicapping pattern up correctly. We desperately need the handicapping pattern because that is how we can get the betting up. But I wouldn't expect any phone calls from anyone in either the NZRB or NZTR asking why this might be impoetant.

1 hour ago, Berri said:

But the worst part of this is that the horses racing in those races are restricted to sales horses. All that does is promote shenanigans at the sales where no one knows who owns what, who're really selling and who're rorting the bidding system. The issue is once again the lack of setting up the championships to work out who the best horse is and where the superior performances were at the end of the season. No-one understands that you need this aspect of racing to set the handicapping pattern up correctly. We desperately need the handicapping pattern because that is how we can get the betting up. But I wouldn't expect any phone calls from anyone in either the NZRB or NZTR asking why this might be impoetant.

And look what the MM carnival has done for the Gold Coast... times change and racing must do too...

On ‎3‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, Insider said:

I hear that the Sales are moving somewhere anyway.

Karaka has been sold for housing, so I was told yesterday!

The suggestion is the Sales will move to Waikato.

What then my dear friend poundforpound?

10Hinau Rd, Karaka Pavillion / NZ Bloodstock property has CV $54 million in 2017, up from it's sold price of $295 k in 1986.

Dread to think what Rates are with way Auckland Council has sprawled the Concrete Jungle it has since the amalgamations in late 1980's.

How would those involved in the Sales locally and Internationally feel if they were shifted?

There's many things to factor into including accommodation, access to international airports, accessibility etc.

What "consultation" has taken place?

Or is it just another case of Oh well we'll just go ahead and do it and tell people after the fact like they are doing closing Countdown 277 in Newmarket without telling customers  and leaving the area without a supermarket for 2 yrs  e.g those they rely on AND keep them in business!!! 

10 hours ago, Berri said:

You don't think it's happened?

Best you prove what you are saying or you are accusing the whole industry of being crook...please enlighten all of us not just a few of your conspiracy theories..thanks..or retract the statement.

2 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Best you prove what you are saying or you are accusing the whole industry of being crook...please enlighten all of us not just a few of your conspiracy theories..thanks..or retract the statement.

I will not redact it but shouldn't have included it in my post. I' m not a conspiracy theorist.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, rdytdy said:

Move the sales back to Trentham :D

Exactly and the sooner the better

The Wellington cup should have been scheduled for 27th January but they were told

they had to run it on the 20th which is anniversary weekend.... it costs about 5000 attendees

because thousands go away that weekend

On 1/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, Phantom said:

Here's what the journalist who does the NZ timeform ratings said about Ellerslie BEFORE the Jan 1 meeting: 

10mm Irrigation This Morning

This is terrifying as rain is forecast, so the amount of rain now matters……they have added more water a day out than Flemington puts on for Melbourne Cup Day and they have a multi-million dollar drainage systems plus dig up and replace the track every 5 years….hmmm…….if it rains tar-night (if it is tar-day on Trackside then that Alien language must mean it is tar-night) then this meeting is in danger of being absolute chaos and visual vomit…..the fact the rail is out unusual amounts tells you the track is farked…..it looks awful…..it is either holding glue or crumbling concrete…..nothing else…..is this 10mm an insurance watering?.....how wide on the track did they apply it is now very important too….this Auckland RC are known to cock up everything….my goodness.....when will they ban this watering so close to G1 racedays let alone other main meetings?

the individual who wrote this is an idiot  he is a mate of Dillos

5 minutes ago, rumpole said:

the individual who wrote this is an idiot  he is a mate of Dillos

He has forgotten more about racing than you will ever know mate. And he's not a mate of Mike Dillon. 

13 minutes ago, Phantom said:

He has forgotten more about racing than you will ever know mate. And he's not a mate of Mike Dillon. 

Thanks for the compliment  but  unlike you I don't profess to be an expert just an old buggar who has been involved in the industry for over 58 years

He is no journalist       he bags everyone in the industry including Opie who he calls Dopey Possum

his use of the language is pathetic   I am told he is from the West. who is he?  one of your mates eh?

oops forgot he once paid Matt Cameron a compliment

1 minute ago, rumpole said:

Thanks for the compliment  but  unlike you I don't profess to be an expert just an old buggar who has been involved in the industry for over 58 years

He is no journalist       he bags everyone in the industry including Opie who he calls Dopey Possum

his use of the language is pathetic   I am told he is from the West. who is he?  one of your mates eh?

oops forgot he once paid Matt Cameron a compliment

I have never known a lawyer to get so many facts wrong. I've never professed to be an expert, the writer of that piece has been a racing journalist for four decades, he's not a mate of Mike Dillon's, he's not from "the West" (wherever that is) and to the best of my knowledge he has NEVER complimented Matt Cameron. 

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I have never known a lawyer to get so many facts wrong. I've never professed to be an expert, the writer of that piece has been a racing journalist for four decades, he's not a mate of Mike Dillon's, he's not from "the West" (wherever that is) and to the best of my knowledge he has NEVER complimented Matt Cameron. 

Well tell us who he is??

19 hours ago, meomy said:

10Hinau Rd, Karaka Pavillion / NZ Bloodstock property has CV $54 million in 2017, up from it's sold price of $295 k in 1986.

Dread to think what Rates are with way Auckland Council has sprawled the Concrete Jungle it has since the amalgamations in late 1980's.

How would those involved in the Sales locally and Internationally feel if they were shifted?

There's many things to factor into including accommodation, access to international airports, accessibility etc.

What "consultation" has taken place?

Or is it just another case of Oh well we'll just go ahead and do it and tell people after the fact like they are doing closing Countdown 277 in Newmarket without telling customers  and leaving the area without a supermarket for 2 yrs  e.g those they rely on AND keep them in business!!! 

When Wrightson's and their  dummy affiliated Company Wrightson Bloodstock sold the Karaka venue in 1986 it was a rescue mission for all NZ Breeders. The Vela brothers paid much more than the quoted price, in the thread above, of $295 K !!
The senior Auctioneer who sold his last Lot last year will verify the price.

I seem to remember $4 Million .

So who takes control now and what happens?

OPTION ONE:

Gerry H  has a property just down the road costing him zillions a year.

Put in an all weather 2400m  race track Gerry.

Sell all the stock and transport the Karaka Buildings to Westbury.

Ready to Run Horses trial on your property.

Buyers still fly into Auckland. Premium accommodation and entertainment.

Then I can re home all the Racing Museum Stuff in containers at Ellerslie and Penrose that I have been working on for NZ Racing.

The general public have a ready access to our racing heritage.

OPTION TWO

Or Brendon L  could establish a  whole new Sales complex in Cambridge.

A la Ron Denby years ago.

Build Motels on The Cambridge Green Belt and upgrade Te Rapa.

OPTION THREE

Examine why Japan Car auction sites make millions a week.

We have started on line Thoroughbred sites here which most NZ buyers and

sellers are very canny about....

My introduction of The Video Cassette Promotion of Ready to Run  ( Horses in Training) two year olds allowed another dimension for Purchasers .1984.

We all love the Hard Copy of The Catalogue but increasingly we tend to rely on electronic images to back up our preferences.Our top Agents persuade their off shore clients to complete their  purchase using the internet resources.
The electronic images for our Book 1, 2 3 yearlings must be more comprehensive.
Not a pathetic $55 token posed pic. Or a 25 second walking shot side on.

Huge room to improve there.The more video evidence the greater the Buyer interest

which will then lead to the hands on inspection, the natural eye etc !!

But  I will never ever forget Bill Sanders and his sitting under the tree at Claudelands. Year after year. Very seldom referring to his Dalgettys Catalogue.

Just watching. "That's a good walker, young Rev". FairView Lad. Won the Derby.

The Sales will continue in January or February for our wonderful yearlings for decades to come.The Transfer from Trentham was deemed doomsday.

We have many great options.

Rev Somervell

On ‎5‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, poundforpound said:

I have no idea if there’s any basis to this suggestion NZB might relocate, however might I point out that NZB is a privately owned company anyway, a company that has every right to determine its own destiny free of industry interference and what you describe as “consultation”.

Your notion that the wider industry is “consulted” is frankly bizarre.

Did Sir Patrick Hogan consult the wider industry before he sold Cambridge Stud ? Do you think he should have ? It’s the same sort of thing isn’t it ?

Why shouldn't the wider industry be consulted, we are all in the same boat and here to work in harmony, are we not?

We seek to see the best result for all in the wider industry including both local and international participants.

Remaining where they are as both a Sales and function venue and GREEN OPEN SPACE  is looking after the wider interests of all.

As housing has built up in the surrounding location, the industry should be ensuring those people are hooked into buying horses and participating in the industry.

How many of those new residents around the area have ever received a knock on the door and invite to the sales and Karaka millions and sponsored races?

Or to use the venue and admire those delightful scented Roses?

Sometimes a little ole bush telegraph human face to face marketing goes a long way to the betterment of all.

It's our understanding the likes of Michael Floyd who was involved in choosing Karaka as a venue all those years ago was done with great long term vision and thought.

Perhaps they should talk to him and find out :)