RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

whanganui meeting in jeopardy

again a crazy decision by hrnz to stage a 1 off meeting at Palmerston north has the results everyone but hrnz knew would happen.A v ery low nomination level . Where are industry leaders with any brains .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Race 2 meetings on grass this time of year get good crowds and horses. put 1 on 3.1.18 hard track and believe it has some connection to grass hawera on the 7.1.18   . absolutely stupidity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

16 minutes ago, john legend said:

again a crazy decision by hrnz to stage a 1 off meeting at Palmerston north has the results everyone but hrnz knew would happen.A v ery low nomination level . Where are industry leaders with any brains .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Race 2 meetings on grass this time of year get good crowds and horses. put 1 on 3.1.18 hard track and believe it has some connection to grass hawera on the 7.1.18   . absolutely stupidity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Agree 100% - surely they must consider moving the meeting to Tuesday @ Hawera if that's at all possible?

Today's meeting at Cambridge traditionally was a grass track day meeting.      The thoroughbred friends would not allow them the track so Cambridge moved the meeting to their all weather track and ran it at night.     I wasn't there so don't know what the attendance was like but another grass meeting lost over the holiday period.      You have to feel sorry for the trainers who look to the grass circuit.    And to make matters worse Pirongia was lost so the first opportunity now is a one off stand aloner at Hawera.     Let's hope they get bumper noms and the same the week later at Thames.

1 hour ago, eljay said:

Today's meeting at Cambridge traditionally was a grass track day meeting.      The thoroughbred friends would not allow them the track so Cambridge moved the meeting to their all weather track and ran it at night.     I wasn't there so don't know what the attendance was like but another grass meeting lost over the holiday period.      You have to feel sorry for the trainers who look to the grass circuit.    And to make matters worse Pirongia was lost so the first opportunity now is a one off stand aloner at Hawera.     Let's hope they get bumper noms and the same the week later at Thames.

eljay,this is false.

the meeting could have been run at Te Awamutu but the meeting was allocated as a friday night meet at cambridge.and this was unfortunately not argued against.

Hence,the te awamutu meeting will be run January 20.The Waipa racing club are more then happy to run harness anytime.

Thats good to hear - obviously false info given to me, or I misunderstood or just my old age kicking in.     Yes I knew there was a meeting at Waipa scheduled mid January.     I do wonder (and I suppose we will never know) whether a twilight would have been a better option - unlike the tarseal jungle you do have grassy areas where families can spread out to watch which my opinion is under-utilized especially in holiday times.    As I said I never went last night due to not being 100 pct, small fields and no guarantees on the traffic densities getting there after mid day.     The one positive - a good win for the team!

Thanks eljay it was great.

I was keen for a twilight meet at Te Awamutu on a friday but was in the minority.sadly a change of mindset is required in the north because grass track racing will be gone in next 5 years otherwise

On 12/29/2017 at 11:56 PM, JTeaz said:

The Waipa racing club are more then happy to run harness anytime.

Wanganui should have run at Waipa then - would have got sufficient nominations for sure!

I was told that the reason the abandoned meeting wasn't moved to Hawera on the Tuesday was due to concerns it would have an adverse effect on Thames fields the following Saturday.

Edited by Taku Umanga

there are many reasons why Taku something is too difficult . but as you know just excuses. The old cliche "when there is a will theres a way"holds up. It would appear lack of recognition of this problem coming (at least 6 months out)was not addressed and now trainers and owners suffer. AS Taku says there were many possibilities.I can only surmise the destruction of grass track racing. is apolicy of HRNZ/Racing board. I have owned horses served on many committees, worked professionally in harness racing and punted over 50 years and know how to solve problems and even compromise when necessary. Therefore the lack of initiative shown by current administrators defies logic. eg. not racing 3 or 4 trotting races at tauhere nikau  in front of 10000 racegoers who could get a little interested in trotting. Now on the greatest picnic day in the lower North Island a few low grade galloping races (wow what a great decision !!!!!!!!!!!!!) Shall I risk another cliche. The current crop of management could end up "throwing the small person out with the bath liquid . "