RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Precedence

Probably one of my favourite horses, won $2m, raced from 3 till 9 years old including in 4 Melbourne Cups. Now just received Supreme Champion Show horse award in Aussie. Was sound as a bell when he retired.

so I'll tell you an interesting story which is true. Both Tavistock and Precedence came from the last crop of yearlings produced at Bloomsbury Stud. No group winners had ever been produced from this stud prior to that crop. Prior to it being converted to a stud, it had been one of the Waikato's best maize growing properties. A team of soil experts started innoculating the property with microbes 2 years before Precedence and Tavistock were born. Coincidence or trait? Interesting 

Guest 2Admin2
15 minutes ago, Berri said:

Probably one of my favourite horses, won $2m, raced from 3 till 9 years old including in 4 Melbourne Cups. Now just received Supreme Champion Show horse award in Aussie. Was sound as a bell when he retired.

so I'll tell you an interesting story which is true. Both Tavistock and Precedence came from the last crop of yearlings produced at Bloomsbury Stud. No group winners had ever been produced from this stud prior to that crop. Prior to it being converted to a stud, it had been one of the Waikato's best maize growing properties. A team of soil experts started innoculating the property with microbes 2 years before Precedence and Tavistock were born. Coincidence or trait? Interesting 

Did they add cobalt as well?

51 minutes ago, Berri said:

51 minutes ago, Berri said:

Need some for our property then

Berri is this organic fermentation similar to fallowing a paddock? For years now I have set aside certain parts of the farm which I have left to fallow for sometimes up to a year and have noted that these paddocks come back reseeded and seem very much more fertile than before. At the moment I have about 80acres which has been left fallow for nearly 10 months.

Is my crazy method of farming similar to placing organic microbes into the soil?The main reason I adopted this method was many years ago I had two paddocks full of buttercup which no end of spraying could get rid of,and an old bloke told me to leave these paddocks fallow for 12 months,which I did and sure enough no more buttercup.

All soils have fungus and bacteria in them (the microbes). They are responsible for the transportation of minerals and water around the soil profile. In many instances they are also responsible for drawing nitrogen from the air. Each family of microbes (yes there are families) seem to have specific tasks and the DNA of these are only now starting to be identified but for the sake of this discussion I'll simplify the explanation. Each microbe utilises certain minerals and therefore is tied to them. Before man came there was a symbiotic relationship between them and the soil profile was in harmony. Then the trees were chopped down and the balance started to change. Then pesticides and herbicides  killed some specific families off, which resulted in the minerals being released and leached through the soil. Then the chemical fertilisers came to town and that was a scorched earth policy blowing away a different bunch of microbes. And then throw in a few weed emergent preventors, the odd fungacide and round up ready glyphosate infused potion to kill everything else that looked out of place and you start to create a desert. Welcome to the world of growing maize, potatoes, onions, cereal crops and anything else that directs the finger of greed at the soil. So by this stage the nematodes (worms and the like) can't find food or water or a nice cosy corner in which to read, and they also decamp from the desert.

So what do you need to do to get it right? First find out what the soil looks, feels and smells like. Count the worms. Send the soil samples to the labs to see what minerals are missing, what the microbial life is like because if you do introduce microbes back into the soil and there's no food for them, they'll simply die out again. So get the right minerals applied and at the same time inoculate with the microbes to get the system running. You might need to break up the soil a bit because the desert has compacted and there's no air in the soil and without air its difficult to breath and water doesn't get absorbed easily.

Now here's a scary  tit bit of knowledge....most cereal crops (oats, barley, etc) have growth regulators & their actives commonly used on to shorten crops, strengthen straw & prevent neck break and lodging. These are are Moddus – Trinexapac Ethyl, Align & Terpal – Mepiquat Chloride & Chlorethepon and Cycocel - Chlormequat. In addition they are sprayed with glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round-Up) two weeks before harvest so that the kernel enlarges and the plant dries out more quickly. Saves money in the drying process. Well glyphosate in a known chelator which effectively gives the plant a version of aids. What it does is prevent the microbes from allowing the nutrients to pass through the plant membranes which is important for cell production and maintenance. It inhibits microbe activity. Well all of this glyphosate is still on the seeds when it is fed to us and our horses. It also dampens the immune system as it is a chelator. So have you ever wondered why you feel bloated after eating bread, why our kids have respiratory conditions that they never used to get, why horses have less starts than they used to have and why viral conditions are more prevalent in stables than before.

So to P4P...was strange that after 9 years of breeding horses on the property from the same family, not one group horse....then after 2 years of inoculation in a single crop both Tavistock and Precedence were born. Both were 1000% sound and good. Incidentally 3 other horses from that crop of 14 foals were black type animals. Coincidence or trend?

As for Jeepers...fallowing a paddock will always help if the paddock has been previously beaten up. But if you really want to do it right, get a vet check on the soil and microbes and then apply the good stuff using knowledge based data. It'll have a better effect.

Further material for an 'Environment vs Genetics' debate, but no empirical evidence here, though I am intrigued that this information is obscure uncommon knowledge. Industrial intensive farming methods have dominated, but modern DNA technology has been able to substantiate and show how important are the diversity of micro-organism. Another latent victory for the Hippies who were right about many things, and become part of mainstream culture years later. If you ever dabbled in Biodynamic agriculture developed by Rudolf Steiner one hundred years ago, the hummus soil preparation was apparent and obvious in the growth of plants, but the whole kooky pseudoscience that went along with it was too much. But picking out the preparation of compost tea and keeping that as a valid solution. The diversity of micro-organisms in the environment has taken off, and more so in regards to our own relationship with microbes. They out number our own cells in our body 10 to 1, so maybe we are really just transportation meat bags for the trillions of microbes. American Gut, lead by a professor from Otago, does a lot of research into the billions of microbes in our stomach, which break down our food and separate the mineral content for transportation to our cells. When researching this information about the diversity of microbes in the human gut, I always wondered about changes to the content of horses gut microbe diversity and when I can arrange the opportunity, I hope to do some research. Connects some more dots. 

Well said Berri. Thank you. On many NZ dairy farms the practice of spraying silage paddocks with Roundup just before cutting and baling should be stopped as that glyphosate is eaten by the cows and present in all dairy products.

Some years back I had a weanling that got scours and after a lengthy period of antibiotics plus yoghurt treatment and just about every other type of treatment available it got worse to the point of the vet saying it may have to put down. I then had a thought and pick up shit from other horse paddocks around,mixed it with water and poured a number of bottles full down the poor animals throat. Unbelievably the weaning recovered.I had replaced healthy bacteria into its stomach.

9 years of breeding without getting a blacktype horse!, geez they were doing it tough.

The two Group horses by 2 great stallions in Zabeel and Montjeu!, 

interesting reading though Berri, thanks for explanation

4 hours ago, jeepers said:

Well said Berri. Thank you. On many NZ dairy farms the practice of spraying silage paddocks with Roundup just before cutting and baling should be stopped as that glyphosate is eaten by the cows and present in all dairy products.

Some years back I had a weanling that got scours and after a lengthy period of antibiotics plus yoghurt treatment and just about every other type of treatment available it got worse to the point of the vet saying it may have to put down. I then had a thought and pick up shit from other horse paddocks around,mixed it with water and poured a number of bottles full down the poor animals throat. Unbelievably the weaning recovered.I had replaced healthy bacteria into its stomach.

I am a dairy farmer and there is noway in this world that we spray our silage paddocks with round up before cutting and baling. It is not a comman practice and I could not name one person in this area that does that. So Berri dont talk rubbish

3 hours ago, BruceL said:

9 years of breeding without getting a blacktype horse!, geez they were doing it tough.

The two Group horses by 2 great stallions in Zabeel and Montjeu!, 

interesting reading though Berri, thanks for explanation

They managed a number of listed performers, just not group winners

Generally speaking they bred 11 foals per year. If the industry operates at a norm then only 5% of them will make it to black type races with 2.3% becoming  successful performers in group races. So they weren't too bad. If you start to break down the Karaka Book 1 yearlings for sale, and then work out the resultant success of those progeny, you'll be quite surprised to see how poorly they perform. It's all statistics. That's why when you get a mare to produce multiple group performers, that's pay dirt. Similarly a stallion that gets over 5% stakes winners to foals

"Teaming with Microbes" - Jeff Lowenfels & Wayne Lewis 

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/     or just pay the professionals to do the job.

I recall watching a program on TV where they compared a lawn grown with synthetic fertilisers and an organically grown lawn . The organic lawn outperformed .

Maybe we can get a worm count with a penetrometer reading.

Berri,

Thank you for your treatise on the above matters.  I have always wondered why Tv stations like Al Jazeera and RT are so hostile to Monsanto and their glysophate based Round Up.  You have been able to enlighten me.  I always thought that it was their irrational hatred for American corporates.

I hope you get a few winners on the punt today.

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

The patents on that phosphonate product lapsed many years ago so I doubt you can blame Monsanto.

I personally think its one of the most evil of companies that I know. The issue of glyphosate will follow the same track as smoking. A bloke called Dr Don Huber was tasked by Monsanto to prove that it was not detrimental to health. He was given an astronomical budget and teamed up with approx 120 scientists around the world. After 5 years he jumped ship because he realised how bad it was. He then started telling everyone and was poisoned. Nearly died but fortunately he was with some smart minds when it happened and he survived.

Monsanto have been trying to push that glyphosate isn't carcinogenic. That's still debatable but that's not what Huber has been saying. It's the chelator factor that makes it so bad. Patented in 1976, several food safety standards' toxic levels have been re-adjusted to accommodate 400ppm glyphosate in food. Many countries are now banning it. I could show you some research that would make your eye lashes curl