RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
porky

2018 Punting advice ?

Porky my experience is really good bets only come around once in a while. Scaling bets down outside of these gems to a bare minimum will free up the budget for a few big heaves.

Also, before crashing into a roughie on the TAB stick it into some multis, I haven't yet seen them move the price in when placing a multi. 

Lastly, when crypto tips are being made on horse racing forums it is a sure sign we are past the smart money phase in the bubble cycle so. I bought Ripple at $3 a few days a go. Oh no wait I shorted it, thats right.

30 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

Only thing that annoys me with Place 6 is that if all my roughies came in in each of the races, the payout could still end up being a pittance if favoured runners also ran a place in the same 6 races

That's my frustration with them as well. 

5 hours ago, poundforpound said:

You need to research them and understand cryptos and who’s behind each one.

I wouldn’t go near anything designed to be used on the dark web or for criminal activity, but I love the idea of a digital currency that facilitates instant transfers of currencies of any denomination between countries, and that in doing so circumvents the institutional banks and their parasitic fees.

Open your mind, there are new ways of trading and moving money around, and the old style retail banks don’t need to be a part of it.

If you want a conservative crypto that’s bank integrated then Ripple is the one, if you want a credible alternative that’s designed to operate outside of the institutional banks go check out Stellar Lumens, they’re both of great potential as crypto currencies, they’re both lightning quick, and they’re designed by the same guy, Jed McCaleb I think his name is.

Stellar is supported by a non profit foundation so it’s quite ethical too if that matters.

Not for me, good luck. 

Apart from the tax implications because of the few countries one can trade Ripple, I think it's the best option because of the involvement of so many banks. My 1yo Grand-Daughter should have a good Ripple Egg by the time she's 18 ! :) 

Guest 2Admin2
25 minutes ago, Trump said:

Apart from the tax implications because of the few countries one can trade Ripple, I think it's the best option because of the involvement of so many banks. My 1yo Grand-Daughter should have a good Ripple Egg by the time she's 18 ! :) 

Good luck.  A Russian teenage genius with nothing to do in the winter will kill it.  

6 hours ago, Catalano said:

Looks like your post has been hijacked Porky <_<

So, back to punting, has anyone had a long-term go at Place 6? It always looks so easy, but never quite works out that way...

Had a couple of goes Cat, but as ya say...not as easy as it looks !

(Baz,s suggestion) For punters who invest less than $50 per selection, the best and safest way to bet is win betting level stakes to a % of your bank.

ie bank size $1000 x 2% (per bet) $20,  get a few winners and bank is $1500 x 2% $30 per bet & so on.   ( I have trouble with discipline)

(Your suggestion Cat)

Dutching...(hows it going?)...seem to be sensible betting approaches.

HEY WHATS YOUR OPINION ON ROVING BANKER TRI,S ?...something outside the favourite anchored for 1st/2nd and 3rd with the fav and a cpl or 3 others 

to fill the other placings (% Bet)...Doggies seem a good option , 1st out 1st home...LOL.

Hav"nt put it to the test yet...But they pay well !  

On 12/28/2017 at 7:52 PM, barryb said:

For punters who invest less than $50 per selection, the best and safest way to bet is win betting level stakes to a % of your bank.

ie bank size $1000 x 2% (per bet) $20,  get a few winners and bank is $1500 x 2% $30 per bet & so on.

Porky unfortunately most spend far far too much time looking for a bet, rather than the best price. The unrealistic dream of being a super punter is what many aim for and they waste countless hours researching form needlessly. There is no golden goose with punting Porky, you have to do stuff that others are not doing if you want to win.

ie: back drifters not shorteners, take Topweights with wide draws (refer race 5 at Ellers boxing day), On Pace outsiders in a small field, etc.

Out of interest how many totes/sites do you use to obtain the best price?

Any suggestions?

Do you use best price sites?

Thanks in advance

I use the following bookies regularly.

Neds, Sportsbet, NSWTAB, Ubet,, William Hill, Unibet, Classicbet, NZTAB Betfair, Crown.

2 sites to Check the odds on offer are

odds.com.au.  Free but can be a little slow in updating

Dynamicodds.com.au. Also free but has a paid version at $35pm which is brilliant.

All those bookies and the odds checker sites do NZ Racing fixed odds.

10 hours ago, porky said:

Had a couple of goes Cat, but as ya say...not as easy as it looks !

(Baz,s suggestion) For punters who invest less than $50 per selection, the best and safest way to bet is win betting level stakes to a % of your bank.

ie bank size $1000 x 2% (per bet) $20,  get a few winners and bank is $1500 x 2% $30 per bet & so on.   ( I have trouble with discipline)

(Your suggestion Cat)

Dutching...(hows it going?)...seem to be sensible betting approaches.

HEY WHATS YOUR OPINION ON ROVING BANKER TRI,S ?...something outside the favourite anchored for 1st/2nd and 3rd with the fav and a cpl or 3 others 

to fill the other placings (% Bet)...Doggies seem a good option , 1st out 1st home...LOL.

Hav"nt put it to the test yet...But they pay well !  

You may like to try one of my practices, which is to anchor a hot favourite, in a reasonable field, to run 2nd, then box others in Tri and F4 around it. You'll be amazed at how many times this method is successful. But don't do it in a small field.

I always frame up my Melbourne Cup trifecta with a roving banker. My favourite collect to this day was having Zazzman at about 100/1 as the banker. Unfortunately the rain came an hour before the big race and he only managed 2nd to Makybe Diva - I still maintain he would have won it on a better track (although they'd already watered it for the great mare) - what a collect that would have been if he'd pulled it off - but as my father always says, 'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle'

On 28/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, Catalano said:

Good topic Porky!

I'll start by saying I'm not a successful punter - but I know I can be if I had the discipline.

A number of years back, I kept good track of my bets, restricted the number of bets, had a good staking system, and made a note next to every loser so I (hopefully) didn't repeat my mistakes. I carefully turned $100 into $1200 over the course of a year - it was so bloody boring! When the year was up, I promptly blew the balance.

Last year, a mate with a mathematical bent wanted to see what a hedge fund investment approach might look like, so he asked me to give him sure-fire place-getters ($1.10 - $1.50), with the aim of making an investment-like long-term return of 15-20% - that was working well until winter came and I got bored.

So now, I splash it around like a drunk old bloke at an RSA urinal - Multi's, Place 6, a win bet here, the odd trifecta on big races - it's not a winning strategy at all.

I was wondering though, after getting some good results in PJ's comps, whether 'Dutching' might be the go - betting on two horses per race: https://practicalpunting.com.au/pp-online/staking/staking-plans/multiple-betting/dutch-doubts-20150209

It would be interesting to see whether a number of us might have made a handy profit using this system over the course of the comps - the data's all there, but I'm not inclined to do the work. I'll probably just dive in and see if it works. Life's too short for testing ideas :)

Cat, 

Just looking at your post and have just read the dutching article.

If you are interested in ditching, here is an option. If you have a betfair account, you can have a free trial of wagertool. Works on android, iPhone + laptop.

I have just paid for year subscription, about $80 dollars. It does all the hard work for you, all you do is select stake amount, then click on horse or sports selections, calculates amount, then one click places all bets.

Just started betting on Aussie races over holidays, up about 30% on turnover so far. Just note, due to small pools in nz with betfair, I would only use on overseas racing or sports. Also has a practise mode, so you can try that without spending money. I have been amazed what odds betfair offers on aussie racing compared to tab. One example yesterday, I took a $200 bet in Aussie yesterday, selected 5 horses in 7 horse field, to collect $245 less commission.

If I had put same amounts on those same 5 horses on nz tab, fixed + tote, I would have received less that $200??

Try it, 

20 hours ago, poundforpound said:

This’ll be a fun thread to look back on I’m a few years.

As you know Leo I'm an Ethereum convert. Our man here, who's a millionaire+ at age 25 having made a $20k dabble less than a year ago, still thinks there's upside aplenty based on 'proof of stake' as an upcoming game changer.

Yes this will be a fun thread to read in a couple of years.

DB

$100 Invested In Ripple now = $35K, What About the rest_ _ Scoop News.pdf

Guest 2Admin2
1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

As you know Leo I'm an Ethereum convert. Our man here, who's a millionaire+ at age 25 having made a $20k dabble less than a year ago, still thinks there's upside aplenty based on 'proof of stake' as an upcoming game changer.

Yes this will be a fun thread to read in a couple of years.

DB

$100 Invested In Ripple now = $35K, What About the rest_ _ Scoop News.pdf

Suggest he cashes out.  If he can.

Remember 87!

To be honest, I know little about the crypto market. But these huge gains are very impressive indeed.

Investers dealing in crypocurrencies are mostly dealing in  unregulated markets. I can see many new companies starting up, when there is quick money to be made, many will lose out.

Pretty sure I read recently of a chch trading company called Cryptopia, suspended activity because of a market frenzy, from memory 100,000 investers registered, I could be wrong in that info.

Reminds me of the 80s, old fella I worked with purchased new car, told me he was Into a new selling scheme. Invited me a long, sure enough it was the famous pyramid scheme!! Everyone seemed to have been making money, except the last 20 odd mugs, including myself. Good bye $1000,00, which was about 3 weeks wages back then!! I was pissed for weeks.

Guest 2Admin2

Considering it's estimated that more than 50% of bitcoin miners operate from with China and China is looking to eliminate crypto currency.......

45 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

You can’t eliminate something the government has no jurisdiction over, unless you shut down the internet.

Good luck with that.

We,re talking China here . China doesn't recognise luck. The 50% of Bitcoin miners suddenly disappear mysteriously.

Guest 2Admin2
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

You can’t eliminate something the government has no jurisdiction over, unless you shut down the internet.

Good luck with that.

Geez I need another lie down.  The internet relies on servers, connectivity and electricity.  Guess who controls that in China.

All it will take, is a few dodgy dealers taking others dough, then watch people panic and expect their money. Imagine how that will pan out. Not if, but when. 

At least investing in gold, you can actually see what you have, with these fantasy currencies, who knows who has it?

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 0:06 PM, poundforpound said:

Ask your Forex dealer, if you open your own account with Ripple you’ll be waiting months.

I know others using Skrill but I know nothing about that company or how secure it is.

Isn't the TAB the best bank. :D

Good luck tomorrow. ;)

How long do you keep backing a horse that's going good enough to keep you interested but always running on late just behind the first 3. There are 2 running today for me, Go To Man and Skyweka. Today maybe ?

1 hour ago, Pottsie said:

How long do you keep backing a horse that's going good enough to keep you interested but always running on late just behind the first 3. There are 2 running today for me, Go To Man and Skyweka. Today maybe ?

I was a huge fan of Skyweka a couple of years back when she won at Otaki and then the Duoro at Trentham, but I don't reckon she is going well enough now.  Last start looked a bit unlucky but when she did get clear in the last 100m or so there didn't appear to be a lot of zip.

Not for me today - which probably means it's time to get on :)

Go To Man a better chance in my mind, especially with a little bit of give in the track, although I note the part owner of the favourite has his winning speech ready to go.