RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

sire selection

hhThis site bit lonely but a lot of breeders will be interested in how sires esp. new ones went in 2017 in usa. The bloodlines are becoming closer together NZ/Aus/USA so success with mares in one country can logically roll to the other much more than the past when we had our own bloodlines. The 2 year old sires in USA with only a few days left are top 10 earnings  =

Somebeachsomewhere

American Ideal

A rocknroll dance

Shadow Play

Well Said

Sportswriter

Bettors Delight

Rockn image

Rockn roll Heaven

Pet Rock.

Surprisingly most of top ten are available in one form or another in NZ. The no.1 sire SomeBeach is absolutely dominant and has surpassed even Bettors this year. A rocknroll dance has been great with a much smaller crop and gets to 2nd on earnings per reg. foal (around 23000 dollars) Sires to consider Shadow Play, Sportswriter,Rockn roll heaven.well said. I find now we have access to the world best pacing lines (and fast getting there with trotters) the task of selection is a little easier than in past. rules are; see what crosses are working with certain sire lines,go for outcrosses as much as possible (hybrid vigour)  economically get in early to sires that are looking like future stars in nz .I feel horses that have big earnings and great performances on the track still need to prove themselves in the breeding barn. There are 3 or 4 top horse available such as always b mickey,hes watching etc. with staggering stats as performers and should make it but with a range of sire lines as above already proven it reduces the risk somewhat. 

Very interesting points about it being a bit easier to pick with the tables showing of what sires are doing in the US. Its always a risk going to great horses that are unproven as they are new sires.  I have noticed some of the newer sires don't last long at the larger studs, they don't make it as sire.The other table I think is good to use is the average stake money earnt. It can show what sires are doing that maybe aren't getting the larger number of mares (as yet). A good example is Betterthancheddar which is ranked 7th on the two year old averages, but didn't get a large number of mares.

I see Bettors Delight served just under 200 mares (down around 100 - been around 300 last 8 years in general ) this season and A Rocknroll Dance served 232 (up around 100, third season).  Figures are NZ stats.

Probably good Bettor Delight mares coming through to breeding barns. 3 pages of progeny on website. Remember they used to have a total near top of  page - looks it has be done away with.

I'll probably go with Prodigal Seelster with my In The Pocket mare. Like Captain Treacherous but too dear. Fear The Dragon also

My Thunder N Lightning mare is in foal to my own Stallion (from G2 winning mare)

7 hours ago, john legend said:

Captain Treacherous is exploding with progeny in USA would borrow to get your mare to him. would paybacklong term,,.!

Yeah, that's where I would love to go with my In The Pocket mare. (Unfortunately not enough fish in my pocket )

Hi 2 Piper. I understand .A frozen semen price of 11500 exc gst seems a bit rich in our market. However with the death of somebeachsomewhere to cancer earlier this year Captain is their perfect replacement. He stands for $us 15000.00 and has a full and closed book.  His 2 year olds are winning everywhere and only sbsw. is close to him. a quite remarkable feat given the large number of sires in North America. My trainer who could not afford bettos delight with a nice mare .has done a deal with the stud and leased them the mare for 2 seasons tobe served by bettors delight. Sometimes suds will deal as long as they like the mare. 

Will be interesting to see if Captain T can replicate the same results here as in the USA.  Something Somebeachsomewhere was unable to do.                                                         I see Sweet Lou is doing very well with his 2yrolds over there too

Hi Lamour, you are correct as this season over in usa has progressed., Sweet lou has got stronger and is a real standout with his first crop. He is now rushed by breeders in USA and looks like getting same support here. It is totally justified both with a strong pedigree, great performance and now standout siring record. also well received world wide at yearling sales. I have no financial interest in sires so can give iindependant advice. 

I will just add, how lucky is woodlands stud to have bettors,american ideal and sweet lou, outstanding. It would be difficult to get into any of their stallions and sweet lou with his outcross bloodlines suiting many mares inc. bettors. I am certain the fee of $6000 plus gst will rise considerably next season as there will be many disappointed broodmare owners this season.:rcfe-depression:

On 9/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, john legend said:

Hi 2 Piper. I understand .A frozen semen price of 11500 exc gst seems a bit rich in our market. However with the death of somebeachsomewhere to cancer earlier this year Captain is their perfect replacement. He stands for $us 15000.00 and has a full and closed book.  His 2 year olds are winning everywhere and only sbsw. is close to him. a quite remarkable feat given the large number of sires in North America. My trainer who could not afford bettos delight with a nice mare .has done a deal with the stud and leased them the mare for 2 seasons tobe served by bettors delight. Sometimes suds will deal as long as they like the mare. 

Yeah, might look at doing a deal somewhere  next season with my 'In The Pocket' mare.

,As season now winding down . interesting to see sire tables to see changes. The 3 giants of the pacing world are still dominant (bettors 7.7 mill) (artmajor) and mach3)but intersting to see relative new sires doing well. 2year olds   ,,,sweet lou excellent, 3 year olds, A rocknroll dance, better than cheddar from limited opportunities, also showing up are shadow play and sports writer. Now those with 4 year olds doing well include auckland reactor (admit. from big crop)and again better than cheddarproving a v good % sire {foals to winners)It may take 3 or 4 more seasons for the big 3 above and perhaps american Ideal lose their grip on all siring charts but with 100s of mares by them now available the next few years will prove interesting..I would predict those lucky enough to have a nice mare bred on the great cross of BD out of christian cullen mare will be looking forward to the new breeding season .