RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
weasel57

Stop it, Tony!

I  am getting very very annoyed with T. Lee's race calls..a perfect example here today when Sword of Osman won very well on debut, obviously with some ort of 'rap' on him.

So...as they (in particular, SOO) come down the straight, we hear T. Lee prattling on about a $3000 bet at $4  ioffered earlier in the week) being landed ...instead of hearing which other horses are finishing on or for that matter fading away. Did T. Lee have insider knowledge of who landed a big bet..? why does it matter anyway? I fear Tony is losing perspective on what his responsibilities are to the racing public...yes, we know he has a unique 'style' of commentary, but this call today was totally irritating and I suggest he pull his head in and remember that there are many punters and connections of horses listening to the race who want to know how the horse(s)  they are following is/are going...esp at the business end.

Agree, he has become hard to listen to now and continues to throw up all the same old lines and screams.

I was a big fan of yesteryear but my support and admiration of his calls is slowly diminishing, he probably will be one of those guys that should have gone before hung around to long IMO. I’d rather remember him for great calls like Castletown, not the ones he’s doing presently.

He wasn’t even there for the first few races, surely he must know what that traffic is like over Christmas...pretty poor I reckon

I know I will get slated on here for the comments but it’s just an opinion

Interesting comments. I do have some sympathy for the weasel. The one big bet is obviously largely only of interest to one person, and as it was probably someone connected to the stable it means the average punter feels left out of the loop. I just watched the race and the poor girl who got thrown from her horse was virtually ignored when it happened and in the post race comments, so I think there could have been better balance there. And the minor places did change dramatically over the last 50 metres so punters needed some info there as well.

But surely the big story was the chap who got called in at the last minute to call the first two races and did a hell of a good job I thought. No one seems to have mentioned him anywhere. Well done that man.

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting comments. I do have some sympathy for the weasel. The one big bet is obviously largely only of interest to one person, and as it was probably someone connected to the stable it means the average punter feels left out of the loop. I just watched the race and the poor girl who got thrown from her horse was virtually ignored when it happened and in the post race comments, so I think there could have been better balance there. And the minor places did change dramatically over the last 50 metres so punters needed some info there as well.

But surely the big story was the chap who got called in at the last minute to call the first two races and did a hell of a good job I thought. No one seems to have mentioned him anywhere. Well done that man.

Agree,i heard the first couple of races and thought it was an excellent performance.Does anyone know his name and or history and as PFP has pointed out the 2yo is a serious horse and he is correct too in his assessment of Melt.

In my opinion T Lee is one of the bright lights of CD Racing and his call of the Dulux Colours race was outstanding and George will testify how hard it is to have different colours 

11 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

Agree, he has become hard to listen to now and continues to throw up all the same old lines and screams.

I was a big fan of yesteryear but my support and admiration of his calls is slowly diminishing, he probably will be one of those guys that should have gone before hung around to long IMO. I’d rather remember him for great calls like Castletown, not the ones he’s doing presently.

He wasn’t even there for the first few races, surely he must know what that traffic is like over Christmas...pretty poor I reckon

I know I will get slated on here for the comments but it’s just an opinion

Hey big stuff, your comments about punting have no substance and you are way out of line. If you are talking about the time when Tony ran a bar in Wellington the issue if I recall correctly was with an employee NOT Tony.

13 hours ago, weasel57 said:

I  am getting very very annoyed with T. Lee's race calls..a perfect example here today when Sword of Osman won very well on debut, obviously with some ort of 'rap' on him.

So...as they (in particular, SOO) come down the straight, we hear T. Lee prattling on about a $3000 bet at $4  ioffered earlier in the week) being landed ...instead of hearing which other horses are finishing on or for that matter fading away. Did T. Lee have insider knowledge of who landed a big bet..? why does it matter anyway? I fear Tony is losing perspective on what his responsibilities are to the racing public...yes, we know he has a unique 'style' of commentary, but this call today was totally irritating and I suggest he pull his head in and remember that there are many punters and connections of horses listening to the race who want to know how the horse(s)  they are following is/are going...esp at the business end.

Weasel lighten up its Christmas!!!!! Still the best caller in NZ.And what exactly was wrong with the call again????I watched and saw a commentator merely commenting on what he saw commentating the race,a very very impressive debut by a horse with some ability...or did i miss something???

4 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Pretty sure it was Justin Evans who filled in.Don't know anything about him,but he did call the card at the Palmy trots a few weeks back.

9 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Pretty sure it was Justin Evans who filled in.Don't know anything about him,but he did call the card at the Palmy trots a few weeks back.

I believe you are correct, Mardy

I think he used to be known by another name (which I won't state out of respect for his privacy).  If so, he was a T Lee protege many years ago, calls/has called heaps of trials and is a radio DJ

IMO, he is a very accomplished race caller. Happy to listen to him anytime.

39 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

I believe you are correct, Mardy

I think he used to be known by another name (which I won't state out of respect for his privacy).  If so, he was a T Lee protege many years ago, calls/has called heaps of trials and is a radio DJ

IMO, he is a very accomplished race caller. Happy to listen to him anytime.

Correct.