RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MrBigStuff

Clean Up Your Act says Winnie

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Not the only area that needs cleaning up, part of your backyard as well Dave

"Caution" classifications had been given to more than 20, including Northland's pohutukawa-lined Coopers Beach, Waihi Beach, Taranaki's Onaero Beach and Acacia Bay at Lake Taupo.

Saw that but nothing wrong with it or Cable Bay....;)

IMG_2736.JPG

It is about time the NZGRA stood up for trainers and Licence holders

This report is flawed 

Greyhound racing is facing a crisis and needs some leadership . B Cole  is the best man for the job. would certainly get my vote 

I have never been more disgusted with my sport than I am right now. If our membership doesn't unite to force the necessary changes, then others will make changes for us. I am tired of the buts, the blindfolded wishful thinkers, the denial brigade, the finger wavers, and the dinosaurs, our own attitudes, and actions are at the crux of this issue. No one wants to stand up and speak out, and when one of our members does, he is labeled a troublemaker and bashed. You pedestal those who don't deserve it and rubbish those who do right by there dogs, no matter how average their racers are. The people who train by legal means, who don't abandon their dogs because they aren't fast enough, who hold on to their dogs until a forever home becomes available, these are the heroes of our sport, not the mega breeding dumpers who talk themselves up at the awards. This will be our one and only wake up call, FFS Wake UP!

9 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

You are pretty spot on emotive, trainer/owners, should have a duty of care right to the retirement of the greyhound, the bad eggs are doing nothing but harming the sport and will be the first to moan if the industry gets shut down....and surely this is doing nothing to attract new people to the sport.

Ubers, You follow the other codes as well, so why don't trainer owners of the two horse codes not have the same expectations? Are records even kept of what happens to those thousands of GG'S.

Why don't all other breeds of dogs  have records kept from birth forever? 

Greyhounds are just seen as an easy target

Agree GOM, Put the figures up for all dog breeds.

Well over 100,000 dogs get put down each year by the spca and councils they must have a record.

Does anyone know where the public can find that infomation ?.

GREYHOUND FACTS FOR 2016/17

* Greyhounds imported into NZ - 279
* Bred in NZ - 675
* Total registered for racing - 3225
* Died naturally - 40
* Retired for breeding - 46
* Euthanised - 309
* Found new homes - 414

(Source: Greyhound Racing NZ)

Greyhounds are just seen as an easy target.

6 minutes ago, GOM said:

Ubers, You follow the other codes as well, so why don't trainer owners of the two horse codes not have the same expectations? Are records even kept of what happens to those thousands of GG'S.

Why don't all other breeds of dogs  have records kept from birth forever? 

Greyhounds are just seen as an easy target

the records are kept for the horse code. you get sent a list of horses you have/had in training every year  and must advise authorities whether they are still in training,if not you must advise what they are up to.

Greyhounds may be an easy target, thats even more reason to get things in order and be transparent. Everyone  of those who are pushing for change on this forum want to see the sport prosper and just be comfortable they are supporting a sport where animal welfare is a major priority. Real head scratcher  why those practices are not already in place and being properly policed.

4 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

If greed in the greyhound world comes before empathy and compassion for the animals used in the sport, then in my opinion there is a huge problem.

There are many people working their butts off to find forever homes once retirement is attained, many, many of those volunteers. We have wonderful people in our sport, we have wonderful people associated with rehoming. They have all been kicked in the teeth over the past 10 days. The difference between the horse codes and the greyhounds is the number of pups per litter as opposed to the number of foals per mare. I'm sure the other codes have their own issues, but that has absolutely nothing to do with us. Other dog breed numbers are irrelevant and part of the excuse and denial culture. A distraction designed to draw opinions away from the current issue. And the current issue is numbers bred and positive outcomes.

As a volunteer rehoming greyhounds for 6 or 7 years I feel I have been kicked in the teeth by all this. Why do we bother spending hour after hour of our own time trying to find them homes when "trainers" in general don't give a shit about them. You have had your chances, now you will have things forced on you. Also trying to blur things by talking about other dogs. Shame on you, that is disgusting. Look after your own back yard first before looking elsewhere. How many trainers have I seen attending gap events trying to help get hounds adopted........one!! Over so many years.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

As a volunteer rehoming greyhounds for 6 or 7 years I feel I have been kicked in the teeth by all this. Why do we bother spending hour after hour of our own time trying to find them homes when "trainers" in general don't give a shit about them. You have had your chances, now you will have things forced on you. Also trying to blur things by talking about other dogs. Shame on you, that is disgusting. Look after your own back yard first before looking elsewhere. How many trainers have I seen attending gap events trying to help get hounds adopted........one!! Over so many years.

Don't think " trainers in general " don't care about their dog. Most trainers have a great love for these wonderful animals,  a few let the majority down. We rehome all our dogs, some of which can be here for up to a year after they retire from racing, you don't do that without loving them.  And yes Bonnie is at the riccarton market as often as she can. 

Steve

4 hours ago, Emotive said:

There are many people working their butts off to find forever homes once retirement is attained, many, many of those volunteers. We have wonderful people in our sport, we have wonderful people associated with rehoming. They have all been kicked in the teeth over the past 10 days. The difference between the horse codes and the greyhounds is the number of pups per litter as opposed to the number of foals per mare. I'm sure the other codes have their own issues, but that has absolutely nothing to do with us. Other dog breed numbers are irrelevant and part of the excuse and denial culture. A distraction designed to draw opinions away from the current issue. And the current issue is numbers bred and positive outcomes.

It actually has something to do with the whole industry Em. If the end of greyhound racing happens as the GPL have stated is their ultimate goal then you can guarantee horses will be next on the agenda. If the volunteers feel they have been kicked in the teeth over the last 10 days it is because they want to play the victim as I have not heard one word or read one comment against their good work. 1066 was quick to take that up.

There may be less foals per mother than puppies but there are far , far more hose broods than greyhounds. The point is no record is kept of their life after racing. Although What A Post states differently I know from our time owning and breeding thoroughbreds no one was any the wiser about any of ours because we were never asked.

Ubers, you have confidence in the few you raced fairing well in retirement you should really talk to some greyhound trainers if you wish to know the truth. I have lost count of the times I have had a farmer ring me and say "would you like a horse for your dogs as I had an owner ask if they could retire their horse here and they would come and care it's needs (Hooves, teeth etc ) and bring it winter feed. That was 5 years ago and I have never seen them since"

All this relevant whether you like it or not . It would not be hard to find a case that, overall, from beginning to end dogs get the best deal.

As for the Gary Sharp posts. I may not have seen them all but in none of the cases I  did read has Gary been 'shot down'

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

I also rehome dogs, as do many other trainers. Spend hours helping adoptee parents with health, feeding, and behavioural issues, lots of them GAP adoptees. And yes, I have attended GAP events, as have others, but availability is dictated by physical location. One local trainer has 5 GAP fails sitting on her sofas. While I agree that there will always be a small group who could do better, trainers, in general, do give a shit even though they may not always agree with the nuts and bolts of racing. I do understand that many re-homing volunteers are very disappointed and frustrated by the news reports, as we all should be. Most, however, don't place the blame on all. Yes, the situation needs to be fixed, and hopefully with a consensus that will happen quickly.

58 minutes ago, GOM said:

It actually has something to do with the whole industry Em.

That may be the case, but that is not where I was going. What the other two codes do as far as welfare and statistics has nothing to do with our situation and should not ever be used as a comparison, excuse, or justification for our own behaviour. The same applies to comparing euthanasia statistics of other organisations. It's not relevant. What is relevant is our statistics and how to correct the balance.

GOM, Play the victim ?? The hounds that are euthanized are the victim, not volunteers. However, Its very difficult to feel volunteers aren't being used by trainers when either they continue breeding them or euthanize them while we work bloody hard to get each and every hound homed .... I'll correct that so as not to offend...some trainers.....none of the ones on here of course. All the trainers on here are the good ones!!, none of the bad ones are on here, they are all out there somewhere where no one can get to them........ :)

To be fair, I know there are good trainers, probably more good ones than bad ones . I know some of them. I converse with some of them. I have had some of them help me with problem greyhounds. However the general public perception is that it is all trainers, all the industry, all greyhound racing and we all know that perception is a persons reality. You get enough with that same reality and any cause is in serious trouble. I totally understand that "you all" want to protect your industry but cmon guys it doesn't matter whether its 1800 euthanized over 4 years or 300 in one year, 50, 20, 10, 01 is still too many. Don't go looking at other breed euthanisation figures.  That is just so disingenuous. The issue is greyhounds, bred to race, bred to win stakes, bred to bet on, bred to be disposed of when no longer needed. This is your issue, deal to it. Speak up and make a stand against euthanizing greyhounds .

Finally, what would  happen if I challenged all trainers on this forum to post that they have never euthanized a greyhound for other than medical, injury or dangerous to humans reasons ?. While at it include live baiting as well.  

Flagship. It is nice to be appreciated, just sorry we can't home more :(. We are working hard to find homes.

35 minutes ago, Emotive said:

I also rehome dogs, as do many other trainers. Spend hours helping adoptee parents with health, feeding, and behavioural issues, lots of them GAP adoptees. And yes, I have attended GAP events, as have others, but availability is dictated by physical location. One local trainer has 5 GAP fails sitting on her sofas. While I agree that there will always be a small group who could do better, trainers, in general, do give a shit even though they may not always agree with the nuts and bolts of racing. I do understand that many re-homing volunteers are very disappointed and frustrated by the news reports, as we all should be. Most, however, don't place the blame on all. Yes, the situation needs to be fixed, and hopefully with a consensus that will happen quickly.

Fantastic!! That's great. However  I can tell you quite authoritively in the area I am that I have never had a trainer participate in a GAP organised event in the years I have been involved. You talk about physical location. The only event that I have been to that a trainer was at was when I travelled 3 hours to attend.   

10 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Fantastic!! That's great. However  I can tell you quite authoritively in the area I am that I have never had a trainer participate in a GAP organised event in the years I have been involved. You talk about physical location. The only event that I have been to that a trainer was at was when I travelled 3 hours to attend.   

And how many trainers live in the Taranaki?