RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Nominations

Thought it had started to rain in Auckland - then I realised it was the Auckland Board crying as they read the nominations for Cambridge lower staked meeting compared to theirs Friday.       Surely this demonstrates that higher stakes, while a contribution factor, is not the whole story why many trainers shun Auckland!

1 hour ago, hsvman said:

Auckland will be around for a lot longer than Cambridge will. I don’t think they are too concerned they’ll still make more money off corporate tables than cambridge could ever imagine. 

Of course - until there are no races to run the functions around    :angry:

As an Owner id much rather race at Auckland for bigger stakes  and small fields. At Auckland you can run 4th and get more stakes than Cambridge’s 3rd place getters (maybe different for the one or two meetings a year Cambridge so generously lift their stakes above the shit they normally race for . In a full feild at Cambridge it’s harder to run top 3 than it is just having to beat 3 or 4 home to run 4th in an Auckland Race. 

1 hour ago, hsvman said:

Auckland will be around for a lot longer than Cambridge will. I don’t think they are too concerned they’ll still make more money off corporate tables than cambridge could ever imagine. 

Of course - until there are no races to run the functions around    :angry:

This all depends on whether you look at the situation from an industry point of view, or a participants point of view.      There has to be a happy medium I would have thought.     This year participants have struck it lucky at times where the club has had to race very small fields to even get meetings off the ground - whereas in the past those races would have been abandoned through lack of numbers.     There are a few "shrewd" trainers who race at Auckland knowing they have no show yet they will still get a cheque and no rehandicap for their horses.      And good luck to them if this there for the taking.

Definitely agree. As an owner I've  had a lot of fun and success racing at Auckland but it has been pointless racing some horses up there (too immature, can't go that way round, not fast enough off the mobile and more suited to stands  etc). So Cambridge is essential to ensure they have a career.   Collaboration between Auckland and Cambridge should be a no brainer if we want a reasonable horse (and owner) population in the future.

I wonder if Auckland are still crying looking the the noms  this week, lucky for Cambridge Auckland didn’t have a maiden races. On Sunday as have Cambridge a chance to get some noms thatcouldnt go elsewhere 

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, hsvman said:

This is the same  opinion that Mick Guerin surprisingly enounced on the last Box Seat.............. I thought this was as odd as it is arrogant.

Why would anyone prefer to drink overpriced " Prosecco type " wines or even Champagne there at the track if the action is underwhelming ??

As a enthusiast for 45 years I can tell you it bloody well is........... 6 - 8 horse fields week after week , a handicap system that leg trips punters quite often , I don't have to add anymore just have a look at the on course attendance .

We have more choices and its highly competitive so get your act together STOP thinking of it as a giant Sparkling Wine Bar or you will find stock cars going round. The commentator picks himself.

As an aside (sort of) Auckland Nominations read "Nominations for this raceday CLOSED on Wed. 27 Dec, 2017 at 11.00 am     Updated nominations as at 12.30pm.    Withdrawals at 1pm"   

So did someone "sneak a horse" in after closing time with the club's blessing?

Who really wants a racehorse, look at the outgoings and the returns, the books far from balance. Training fees are usually not covered by the stakes return, let alone the float costs to race all over the islands, clubs are paying lower stakes, yet the costs of racing a horse are increasing. We really need to look at short distance smaller fields racing, more starts per month as it less on the horse and gives the owner a shot so to speak, look at Aussie and you will see horses backing up a lot, same for the USA. The days of the 2600 gut busters at Addington are over, we breed to USA stallions with mares full of the same blood, get on with the future, run 8 horse sprints and 15 mins between races, The crowd these days want action and plenty of it. With the yearling sales soon, spending a lot is a huge risk these days with the times we are in, this sport needs a wake up call and sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, One more lap said:

Who really wants a racehorse, look at the outgoings and the returns, the books far from balance. Training fees are usually not covered by the stakes return, let alone the float costs to race all over the islands, clubs are paying lower stakes, yet the costs of racing a horse are increasing. We really need to look at short distance smaller fields racing, more starts per month as it less on the horse and gives the owner a shot so to speak, look at Aussie and you will see horses backing up a lot, same for the USA. The days of the 2600 gut busters at Addington are over, we breed to USA stallions with mares full of the same blood, get on with the future, run 8 horse sprints and 15 mins between races, The crowd these days want action and plenty of it. With the yearling sales soon, spending a lot is a huge risk these days with the times we are in, this sport needs a wake up call and sooner rather than later.

You are correct about the returns for the costs not worth the effort, but many people love to race horses irrespective of the costs.

However it is getting to the stage where there will be less and less owners and syndicate no.s will grow.

Eventually I beleive that Harness Racing will die due to several factors which I have pointed out many times previously.

Certainly don’t want short racing like in the U.S. and  I am not sure that there will be much more wagering on the increased no. Of races???

Yes people do want action and races should be run closer together as 35 or 40 minute gaps are not warranted!

Yearling sales this year will be very interesting !!

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes people do want action and races should be run closer together as 35 or 40 minute gaps are not warranted!

I was having that discussion with someone the other day, why is it that there is such a delay between races? Is it simply to allow time for drivers and trainers and hearings to be ready or completed before the next race?

I agree re the ownership costs not stacking up. I'm down to small syndicate shares for an interest. 

12 hours ago, One more lap said:

Couldn’t agree more,USA being doing this for years, we are well behind. In saying that, there will always be a place for the holiday type, grass track country meetings. Talking metropolitan here.

I went to Los Almamitos in California (since closed), where the horses for the next race were in the stalls in the middle of the track, cart on , ready to go , as soon as the previous race had finished, much like trial or workout day here. Young people , and surely that is our new customer base if we can get one, just haven’t got the attention span to spend 5-6 hours with nothing happening between the action. As well, every night at LA, yes, they raced consecutive nights, there would be a free giveaway for those entering the gate, wristband, gear bag or the like, and that culminated on the last night of the week with a concert in the middle of the track at the end of the night. You could have 20,000 people, a captive audience, being introduced into the excitement that is harness racing. It is certainly a case of the tail wagging the dog when it comes to times, gaps between races, NZRB are trying to maximise turnover. For the everyday punter, that is why the pokies on legs(greyhounds) fill that void of next race to go. I feel HRNZ should lead and try and look after their own product by growing their customer base, and NZRB can fit around them.... probably need to swallow the frog on standing starts as well, gulp.

116 nominations for the grass track meeting at Thames - doesn't that tell the powers that be something  ..... owners and trainers prefer racing during the day on the grass rather than at Cambridge (72 nominations) for significatly higher stakes!

One more lap USA mile racing think is boring boring.I do understand your thinking.the crowds at USA tracks are tiny.so sprint racing not an attraction. I think longer races make punters think they are getting a run for your buck.if u want quick action the mutts do that

We need young thinking people on the committees of the clubs to encourage young ones to come to the course or we are doomed, doomed I say!!

Motukarara grass track racing is good, but there are extremely Large gaps between races!

They also have a fellah with a good voice singing loudly all day at every meeting!

The Problem is that he sings OLD OLD songs and nothing that would attract any young ones to the course!

What I am saying is that they cater for the oldies which is fine for current punters but we need new blood coming thru!