RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Aussie gamblers lose $A24B in a year....!?

And more than half of that on pokie machines..they have more than any other Country in the World...200,000

200,000 Australians have a "high level" problem with gambling, up to twice as many have a problem at a " lower level"

400 suicides each year attributed to gambling problems

Average spend per capita $A1300....next highest $A600 in Singapore

Some sobering statistics...and in NZ....??

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42362194

Surprise ,Surprise. Back in 1973 I remember two up games being conducted in the car park in the centre of the track at a major Sydney racecourse. That's flipping two coins and betting on the fall. 

Strayans would bet on two snails climbing a pole to see who reached the top first. 

Yes no great surprise here, Aussies love a gamble, always have, always will. Problem gamblers will access any means to gambling that they can. More pokie machines doesn't create the problem. The real issue here is the pathetic support given to those that do have gambling problems. At the end of the day there is only surface support given and it is because they have to and it's given by government agencies that are seriously underfunded. 

12 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

And more than half of that on pokie machines..they have more than any other Country in the World...200,000

200,000 Australians have a "high level" problem with gambling, up to twice as many have a problem at a " lower level"

400 suicides each year attributed to gambling problems

Average spend per capita $A1300....next highest $A600 in Singapore

Some sobering statistics...and in NZ....??

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-42362194

would nz be close to singapores total

1 hour ago, gary1 said:

would nz be close to singapores total

The Singapore total is incorrect. It would be closer to 1,000. Ireland, Finland and the USA would all be higher per capita but New Zealand is right up there at around 600 NZD per person

8 hours ago, jeepers said:

One must remember that most are descendants of those that have been very carefully selected by Her Majesty's Judiciary hence they even gambled on life, its part of their DNA.

gees jeepers have you ever checked the history of nz

On 12/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, Tool no. 1 said:

Aussies love a gamble, always have, always will.

And here is the answer to their larger per capita figure. More Aussies gamble that most other countries, just look at the crowds they get at the races every week, every meeting, the amount of pokies they have every where and how betting on AFL is huge. 

A more accurate comparison would be to divide the total spent by the number THAT ACTUALLY gamble.  If this was done NZ because of the small number that do gamble would probably be right up there with the worlds worst per head. 

Would be interesting to see the figs with the Pokie stats seperated. Mate of mine has a Pub (with Pokies) and he said that the govt makes more out of the proceeds than he does but he does well enough and without them he'd struggle. The pokies bring patrons and they (the patrons) normally drink and eat whilst they are there. I would get big money to say that the pokies provide the major portion of the losses mentioned above in the opening post in this topic.

If one loses $100 on the pokies the Government gets $20 in gaming duty and $13.04 in GST being 3/23 of the gross loss.  Then throw in what the Department of Internal Affairs charges the site operator.  The expensive gaming machines have a short shelf life.  Other fleas like auditors and machine servicemen take big cuts; the list of vultures grows week by week.  The one I hate is the External Reporting Board which has made accounting regulations for gaming trusts so unbelievably complex that audit fees have become extortionate.  Note how the GST is taken on the $100, not the $80 left after Gaming Duty.  Just another cunning stunt from a stunning cnut.

I hope somebody can explain what the Government gets out of $100 lost on the totalisator's win machine.  I'll wager it's a damn sight less than $33.04.  I know there is $13.04 GST taken, but what else do they take.

15 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

If one loses $100 on the pokies the Government gets $20 in gaming duty and $13.04 in GST being 3/23 of the gross loss.  Then throw in what the Department of Internal Affairs charges the site operator.  The expensive gaming machines have a short shelf life.  Other fleas like auditors and machine servicemen take big cuts; the list of vultures grows week by week.  The one I hate is the External Reporting Board which has made accounting regulations for gaming trusts so unbelievably complex that audit fees have become extortionate.  Note how the GST is taken on the $100, not the $80 left after Gaming Duty.  Just another cunning stunt from a stunning cnut.

I hope somebody can explain what the Government gets out of $100 lost on the totalisator's win machine.  I'll wager it's a damn sight less than $33.04.  I know there is $13.04 GST taken, but what else do they take.

You're forgetting to mention that the Pokie operator has to pay tax on his earnings from the machines as well.