RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Basil

Lazarus vs Chokin

19 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Sorry Paul, you may be right in regard to Ray Huxley but I would suggest that while Lazarus is maybe the best we have seen for some time and I am not diminishing his accomplishments he wouldn't blow smoke up either Cardigan Bays or Young Quinn's arseholes. The best ever? Sorry bud not in a million years. I would love to see him race in America untill he was 10 or 11 , be barred from betting in their greatest comp because he was to good or race in an Auckland Cup at 12 after being put back into training and running FORTH.

I didnt think we were  comparing horses from different eras.

You know that Lazarus will never end up in the US. All the money in the US is for young horses now and Laz has gone past that age. When Quinny etc went over there it was all about aged races. This has now changed and the money in Australasia is far greater than the Us and risking sending a top horse over to race for peanuts.ie Christen Me. Only trotters can race for big bucks overseas and thats not in the US. Also the horses  you mention were geldings and had no future value in NZ unlike Lazarus who will  probably earn more off the track than on it when his career ends and it wont be at 12 years old. He is already the greatest Group One winning horse in Australasia and is on to become the greatest stakewinning horse in the near future, thou this is irrelevant  with the increasing stake monies available it will still be a noteworthy achievement. 

8 hours ago, harewood said:

I didnt think we were  comparing horses from different eras.

You know that Lazarus will never end up in the US. All the money in the US is for young horses now and Laz has gone past that age. When Quinny etc went over there it was all about aged races. This has now changed and the money in Australasia is far greater than the Us and risking sending a top horse over to race for peanuts.ie Christen Me. Only trotters can race for big bucks overseas and thats not in the US. Also the horses  you mention were geldings and had no future value in NZ unlike Lazarus who will  probably earn more off the track than on it when his career ends and it wont be at 12 years old. He is already the greatest Group One winning horse in Australasia and is on to become the greatest stakewinning horse in the near future, thou this is irrelevant  with the increasing stake monies available it will still be a noteworthy achievement. 

No we weren't comparing and I must admit I get a little animated mentioning the two greats, especially Quinny. Haven't seen his like since to be honest. 

Times have changed and as someone already mentioned we hope he leaves some good progeny . Did watch the replay of Christen Me winning. Good effort in 1.49 from the back of the field.

When you comming back to Kiwi land Paul, my son now in Sunshine Coast so Perth is no longer on the radar.

9 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

When you comming back to Kiwi land Paul, my son now in Sunshine Coast so Perth is no longer on the radar.

The inters have now finished in Perth and have been to all three so time to move on to the next ones haha.  Hope to be back in Chch around June next year. Looking forward to Mot, Methven, Kaikoura and the Cup. Cheers. 

Hey hey I saw Delightful Lady down Gammalite in a heat of the Inters in Aucks, in the pourin rain she got him just short of winnin post cor she was awesome, and and when she fought big ol (no gentleman there) Hands Down the length of the straight at addington in the Cup geezuz she was tough as they come and not much of her, but she was a big as him that day....you guys also forget The Mighty Mouse (he deserves a mention) and of course me Mighty Freak and the awesome machine ELSU! saw him in the Inters in Aucks, he tore through the heats, and spanked em in Final horse could change gears like real nothin I seen before, whoar he was a beast.......saw Chokin he was summit special, just like another one ill fated, Really Honkin  :D

Cheers Iraklis

53 minutes ago, harewood said:

The inters have now finished in Perth and have been to all three so time to move on to the next ones haha.  Hope to be back in Chch around June next year. Looking forward to Mot, Methven, Kaikoura and the Cup. Cheers. 

I will probably be down next year to watch our horses run. This year hasn't allowed it due to work and family living with us. Hope to catch up at a different track this time. Enjoy yr Xmas mate

And  who  could never forget one of Delightful Lady's Auckland Cup wins when she took off about 600 out and crowd went ballistic. ? One that stands out is Lord Modules incredible NZ Cup after being slow away.  Only Cup I've been there for and amazing scenes when he got up.  Not so happy was normally affable Max Robinson who Ces Devine carved up and knocked whip right out of his hand.  Down by fence when Max came back and he was cursing, some punter suggested he go and punch Ces in the head, which Max seemed to go along with.  From memory was long enquiry before Lord Module kept the race.

3 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes was 13 when I was at Alex park with my parents that same night delightful lady had to win to qualify even Lazarus would never get the reception she did that night. The great Aussie popular alm won the inter  final that year in the end ...fantastic memories

Actually Gammalite won the final that year

Yes, I used to go have a yak with DaveA after her races make a right nuisance of meself, even got to give her a peppermint once that was her little treat, was also talkin to Mike Stormont once, who said she had a knack for makin up huge ground on corners it was her trick she could cover ground on corners like nothin else, and boy did she :D mighty, mighty mare Queen of Alex Park the crowd there loved her.....soon as she made her move before the turn the crowd always went ballistic, they knew what was comin......

The night she pinged Gammalite crowd was pretty subdued for awhile cos alot of em thought The Lady wasn't gunna make the Final, but when she came out the ruck and ran him down, oh man there was nothin like it....I had some guy slappin me on the back, grabbing me binos he was so bloody wound up, had to laugh afterwards he apologised said he was freakin out she wouldn't do it, yeh okay like slappin me helped :D cheez choice memory that......

Cheers Iraklis

Just now, Iraklis said:

Yes, I used to go have a yak with DaveA after her races make a right nuisance of meself, even got to give her a peppermint once that was her little treat, was also talkin to Mike Stormont once, who said she had a knack for makin up huge ground on corners it was her trick she could cover ground on corners like nothin else, and boy did she :D mighty, mighty mare Queen of Alex Park the crowd there loved her.....soon as she made her move before the turn the crowd always went ballistic, they knew what was comin......

Cheers Iraklis

When she won a race called Queen of something or other,  for the 4th time in a row ,  the crowd went nuts and were beating  on all the rubbish bins out front, made a hell of a noise.  Unforgettable !

22 hours ago, Iraklis said:

Hey hey I saw Delightful Lady down Gammalite in a heat of the Inters in Aucks, in the pourin rain she got him just short of winnin post cor she was awesome, and and when she fought big ol (no gentleman there) Hands Down the length of the straight at addington in the Cup geezuz she was tough as they come and not much of her, but she was a big as him that day....you guys also forget The Mighty Mouse (he deserves a mention) and of course me Mighty Freak and the awesome machine ELSU! saw him in the Inters in Aucks, he tore through the heats, and spanked em in Final horse could change gears like real nothin I seen before, whoar he was a beast.......saw Chokin he was summit special, just like another one ill fated, Really Honkin  :D

Cheers Iraklis

Mate thats absolutely awesome footage of the Iron Lady, the noise was like that most times she raced at The Park, and to see who was in the wash up Lord Module, Bonnies Chance, Hands Down dammmmnnnnn! :D and at her age cheezuz......

Cheers Iraklis

3 hours ago, Alan B said:

Not sure if any one has seen this, worth a look. Cardigan Bay in action Inters Final 1963. Spills a plenty as there were in those days. You don't get crowds and atmosphere like that anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGioLHsgKQM

Yep Wayville was a saucer much like the old Melbourne showgrounds. Plenty of spills at both, when horses were cornering most of the race.

Yeh GlobeD, used to hear my grandad goin on about him (Young Quin) and Cardigan Bay, he and my mum used to have loads of verbal sparrin sessions over who was better, Cardy or Robin Dundee she was big fan of Robin Dundee, boy it used to get heated about the cowshed some nights  :D

Cheers Iraklis

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Actually if some of you younger brigade want a story of true greatness go to www.harnessbred.com. story no 31.

A legend of a horse and my all time favourite who raced in the 70,s , a decade littered with top horses. 

Hi Rees,

I do not know what horse you are referring to, but I thought Noodlum was one that grabbed my attention in the 70's. He was good at 2,3 and beyond.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Rees,

Young Quinn was a great horse. He was another Noodlum type horse, who started racing at 2 and carried on. I do not think Noodlum went overseas, but was a useful stallion, leaving some handy horses.

Cheers.

Robert.

I think as a 5 year Old  Young Quinn won 21 of 24 NZ starts. he raced against another great  horse Roballen.    Peter Wolfenden drove one of his worst races in the NZ Cup. He could have taken Young Quinn to the front and let him run along but he chose to allow Young Quin pull his head off while running one out and one back. To run third after pulling for so long was was an amazing performance. His victory in the MIracle Mile from the outside draw was brilliant

10 hours ago, Alan B said:

One of the best from the 70' s was Mount Eden a sensational horse gave horses a 80 metres start by galloping and still beat them. Have a look a at this Miracle Mile.

Yes he was brilliant, but a pig at the starts . He was I think sent against time at  Hutt Park around 1970 or thereabouts on a brief sojourn to race here. On a cold night he got within a hairs breath of Cardys then NZ mile record of 1.56. Another in Mount Edens mold was a horse called Final Decision, whom some may recall.

Unfortunately these nags had flaws, and the tag Champion doesnt fit.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:06 PM, bloke said:

I think as a 5 year Old  Young Quinn won 21 of 24 NZ starts. he raced against another great  horse Roballen.    Peter Wolfenden drove one of his worst races in the NZ Cup. He could have taken Young Quinn to the front and let him run along but he chose to allow Young Quin pull his head off while running one out and one back. To run third after pulling for so long was was an amazing performance. His victory in the MIracle Mile from the outside draw was brilliant

And yet the previous year Bob Cameron was roundly criticised for taking Young Quinn to the front too early (he faded).  It's also worth pointing out that Young Quinn went to the 1974 Interdoms in Perth and didn't even make the final.

A great horse, but nowhere near as consistently dominant in NZ/Aus as Lazarus has been, regardless of subsequently winning a few FFAs in the US.