RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tool no. 1

Why not use the passing lane??

Cambridge tonight Todd Mitchell clearly had access to the passing lane in Race 2 on Trinity Bromac yet doesn't take it and allows the three back Idealistic to use it.  Cost it a length and the race. 

Talking through my pocket here as had $1 worth of first four with first and second around the other way but need this explained.

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=246958

Mitchell charged with excessive use of the whip in final 400 metres and fined $200.00 The irony here is that had he taken the passing lane the horse would have won comfortably without the need to be driven hard to get up.

Tool no. 1 I agree with We’re Doomed. Trinity Bromac was not racing very tractably running with it’s head up in the air at times during the race. Private tracks where horses like Trinity Bromac are trained don’t have passing lanes. Horses on such tracks are taught to come off the back of a pacemaker and finish off on the OUTSIDE of that horse. Some horses don’t accelerate when asked to finish on the INSIDE of a horse. I think Trinity Bromac is in that category. Bit harsh to criticise Todd a four time N. Z. Cup driving winner!

5 hours ago, gubellini said:

Tool no. 1 I agree with We’re Doomed. Trinity Bromac was not racing very tractably running with it’s head up in the air at times during the race. Private tracks where horses like Trinity Bromac are trained don’t have passing lanes. Horses on such tracks are taught to come off the back of a pacemaker and finish off on the OUTSIDE of that horse. Some horses don’t accelerate when asked to finish on the INSIDE of a horse. I think Trinity Bromac is in that category. Bit harsh to criticise Todd a four time N. Z. Cup driving winner!

Are you suggesting that’s trainers on these types of private tracks have never thought of the leader rolling off the fence  to allow a horse to slip up the inside and create a passing lane type  effect on a private track. Surely you don’t think  trainers are that simple they never teach a horse different things

1 hour ago, hsvman said:

Are you suggesting that’s trainers on these types of private tracks have never thought of the leader rolling off the fence  to allow a horse to slip up the inside and create a passing lane type  effect on a private track. Surely you don’t think  trainers are that simple they never teach a horse different things

Your right in that they should be trained to have the confidence to come up the inside but you  still must get some that don't like improving in tight spaces, especially if they have had limited experience or a bad  experience early on.  Ive often thought a factor is some have better eyesight than others as well.  

12 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Mitchell charged with excessive use of the whip in final 400 metres and fined $200.00 The irony here is that had he taken the passing lane the horse would have won comfortably without the need to be driven hard to get up.

Your dreaming jonesy. Todd was trying to win which was obvious what more do you need? How many horses came in that night using the lane? 

On 12/7/2017 at 7:07 PM, Gruff said:

Your dreaming jonesy. Todd was trying to win which was obvious what more do you need? How many horses came in that night using the lane? 

Of course he was trying to win you only have to see how aggressive he drove the horse in the last 150m to see that. Unfortunately he didn't give the horse the best chance of winning by failing to use the passing lane. If Mitchell had as he should the horse would have won comfortably.

Linc's Son won that night using the lane. Under the bat on the turn and only reason he won was the dream run he got up the lane. Kingsman used it in race 5 and ran a close second. No other horse on the night was going any good in the trail to make use of it. It sounds like you are suggesting the reason he didn't use the lane was because it was slightly off and would have been a disadvantage which is absolute rubbish.

13 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Just a ridiculous comment.

You obviously havnt been around long, I've been and seen that much harness it makes my head spin,I've challenged David Butcher on a drive one night from the 50m mark to the stable entrance at Cambridge, I've watched that many trials tapes,race tapes live racing it's not even healthy. I now know the difference between a piss take and a genuine effort,remembering of course these decisions need to be made in the heat of the moment in a very short time. You exposed yourself as someone who doesn't pay attention with your belated comment on the Tab mistakes post. Attention to detail isn't your strong suit but you do some homework which is a positive youngster

This is another race that's begs the question 'why didn't they wait for the passing lane?' . I only came across this in the  report, and at least they asked the question  of the driver. A pretty tame excuse given as surely a half competent driver would know that the passing lane isn't just to be used by the horse directly in the trail.

MYSTICAL STAR - held up over the final stages. Driver M House was questioned regarding his failure to attempt a run in the passing lane. Mr Houseexplained that he was mindful that the trailing horse had first rights to the passing lane so it was his intention to improve outwards to gain racing room. Mr House then stated that once clear running was presented to his inside, he was unable to steer the mare downwards quickly due to her tractability and becoming awkwardly placed close to the wheel of JEDI JOSH prior to ONE OVER DA SKYE making its run to his inside. After taking into account into Mr House's explanation and viewing all available films, Stewards were satisfied Mr House's actions were reasonable and took the matter no further.
ONE OVER DA SKYE - held up early stages of the run home.

Gruff you're just a clueless pup.

I've been watching trotting races for almost 50 years. I vividly remember Johnny Globe winning the 1968 Banks Peninsula Trotting Cup with Wes Butt in the sulky. Had a decent wager on Junior's Image in the 1971 Interdom final at Addington and clearly recall the aftermath 5 days later. Spent a few days at Colin McDonald's place back in 1971 trainer of Hakim who became a cup class pacer.  Those would be my earliest memories. I doubt you even go back to the eighties.

That's disappointing Tool, you of all people should know better,your assessment of Mitchell has you born between Dec 28-Jan 8 1999-2001 . Your attention to detail is still in question.Anyone who can categorically say a horse would of won 'if 'is just dreaming and experience should of taught you that, good to see your opinion regardless old timer did you know Juniors was juiced up?

2 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Gruff you're just a clueless pup.

I've been watching trotting races for almost 50 years. I vividly remember Johnny Globe winning the 1968 Banks Peninsula Trotting Cup with Wes Butt in the sulky. Had a decent wager on Junior's Image in the 1971 Interdom final at Addington and clearly recall the aftermath 5 days later. Spent a few days at Colin McDonald's place back in 1971 trainer of Hakim who became a cup class pacer.  Those would be my earliest memories. I doubt you even go back to the eighties.

CORRECTION...

The horse you 'vividly' remember was in fact Johnny Gee....

Cheers......

23 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Of course he was trying to win you only have to see how aggressive he drove the horse in the last 150m to see that. Unfortunately he didn't give the horse the best chance of winning by failing to use the passing lane. If Mitchell had as he should the horse would have won comfortably.

Linc's Son won that night using the lane. Under the bat on the turn and only reason he won was the dream run he got up the lane. Kingsman used it in race 5 and ran a close second. No other horse on the night was going any good in the trail to make use of it. It sounds like you are suggesting the reason he didn't use the lane was because it was slightly off and would have been a disadvantage which is absolute rubbish.

Lincs grace on a 62-30.7 the field were spent and the fact linc saved ground was the only reason it won.. Kingsman was $2.40 had the dream run and the horse on the outside was pulling away near the line.? You crunch the data there is enough in the results to question the effectiveness of the lane that night.We are struggling after the event to explain this removing all doubt and Mitchell had 2 seconds

12 hours ago, Gruff said:

Lincs grace on a 62-30.7 the field were spent and the fact linc saved ground was the only reason it won.. Kingsman was $2.40 had the dream run and the horse on the outside was pulling away near the line.? You crunch the data there is enough in the results to question the effectiveness of the lane that night.We are struggling after the event to explain this removing all doubt and Mitchell had 2 seconds

Mitchell had 122 seconds. He was always in the trail and if the leader took him to the passing lane he has to use it. Pulling it out cost him at least a length, he takes the passing lane the horse wins easy. 

20 hours ago, jayar said:

CORRECTION...

The horse you 'vividly' remember was in fact Johnny Gee....

Cheers......

Correct Johnny Gee. Not quite old enough to see Johnny Globe although have read alot about him over the years.

21 hours ago, Gruff said:

That's disappointing Tool, you of all people should know better,your assessment of Mitchell has you born between Dec 28-Jan 8 1999-2001 . Your attention to detail is still in question.Anyone who can categorically say a horse would of won 'if 'is just dreaming and experience should of taught you that, good to see your opinion regardless old timer did you know Juniors was juiced up?

Would "have" won. Yes juiced up as I said the aftermath 5 days later when JI was disqualified.

1 hour ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Mitchell had 122 seconds. He was always in the trail and if the leader took him to the passing lane he has to use it. Pulling it out cost him at least a length, he takes the passing lane the horse wins easy. 

Tool Tool Tool, really? Watch some more video the tech these days is impressive, he goes the passing lane your complaining he didn't go outside, if you can maintain momentum I'd leave the lane alone particularly on a track that looked well watered with no positive lane activity previous.Leave Todd alone my old man was born in 44 and he loves the guy:)

Nothing against Todd Mitchell at all, he owes me nothing. I cleaned up when Homein Hosed beat Holmes DG in the 1999 cup. Still need an explanation as to why he didn't give his horse the best opportunity to win race 2 at Cambridge last Wednesday. The problem was he did lose momentum, cost him at least a length pulling out of trail. He goes the rail he wins easy.

You a clairvoyant?  I knew the moment Peter jones handed up in the NZ cup after beginning brilliantly and going forward on yulestar he was going to get beat by a horse 5 lens inferior, the moment Mckeon didn't move on Ginga after the leaders set up a 2.12 2200 at Avondale at the 600, all he had to do was pull out before the 3wide train turned up and he wins by 5 breaking the track record,these moments were cut and dry Certs beat , your clutching at straws on this one Tool watch the October 5 meeting of these two horses and get back to me, and they went 29.5 down the back not 30.7. He goes the fence who knows what happens but one things for sure he doesn't win easy if at all, Todd drove the horse brilliantly to win previous factoring in a move to get out of an early trail behind a $36 shot in tight quarters yet he hasn't the nouse to drop to the lane here???? He wanted to win and didn't get over it brother.We all know when jockeys or drivers make errors of judgement and this can be seen by the results achieved after their failures and this is when you make the money,we saw this with Princess Rihanna after Grylls and Coleman got replaced.Move on ,if you can't handle losing $$ your in the wrong game. Talking out of your pocket is fair enough to a point but if you can't see it now with the benefit of hindsight your beyond help

Split second decisions are often the difference between winning and losing in all sports but Mitchell didn't need to make a split decision. He had 2 minutes to confirm what he needed to do.

It was a no brainer.

You trail all the way in a race, the leader takes you to the passing lane, you are going better than the leader, use the passing lane and win the race. By not taking the passing lane cost his horse a length at least. That was the ground the three back horse (who was gifted the passing lane) made up on him while he farted around getting off the rail. Dumb decision and beaten a head. Would have won easy. Why haven't the stipes charged him with not giving his horse every opportunity to win the race.

10 hours ago, Tool no. 1 said:

Split second decisions are often the difference between winning and losing in all sports but Mitchell didn't need to make a split decision. He had 2 minutes to confirm what he needed to do.

It was a no brainer.

You trail all the way in a race, the leader takes you to the passing lane, you are going better than the leader, use the passing lane and win the race. By not taking the passing lane cost his horse a length at least. That was the ground the three back horse (who was gifted the passing lane) made up on him while he farted around getting off the rail. Dumb decision and beaten a head. Would have won easy. Why haven't the stipes charged him with not giving his horse every opportunity to win the race.

...........you havnt watched the October 5 race have you? You would be alone in that assessment,failing to give his horse every opportunity :lol: