RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Scratched

Always wondered where the term came from.

During medieval horse races competitors would start at a line ‘scratched’ into the ground by either a sword or a javelin. If competitors cut corners, or strayed from the set course of the race, they would have to start again from the scratch.

Another interesting fact.

I always thought it was to do with swords and war.

Mounting from the left may have become the rule because early horse trainers noted that horses demonstrated a preference for being approached and worked from that side, which is now backed up by modern research. Testing reveals that the horse's left eye responds quicker and more strongly to stimuli, and they like to keep humans in that line of sight. To reinforce this, the left side of the horse became known as the "near" side and the right as the "off" side.

“Scratch” itself is a very old word, dating back to Middle English.  Interestingly, the verb “to scratch” apparently originated as a combination of two other Middle English words, “scrat” and “crach,” both of which also meant “to scratch.”  The origin of all these words is, alas, uncertain.  Once in use in modern English in the 15th century, “scratch” as a noun progressed from simply meaning “a cut or abrasion on the surface of something” to having a wide range of meanings.

The term most likely comes from the fact that when you have a list of horses to bet and one will not run, then you mark or 'scratch' it out.  

The second racing sense 'scratched' out above could refer to a harness race start where in stand starts horses lined up on the start line were known as starting from scratch or SCR in the book.

Also known as on the limit i.e. Lt.

Those on handicaps were on 12 yd plus 6 yard distances.....12, 18, 24 etc.

Now 10 m , 15 , 20 etc.

Possibly this was at a time when many of you still in womb or a glint in Dad's eye !

On another sporting activity of Cycling.  I remember in track racing, the best riders would be off scratch and other cyclists would be on handicaps in front of that.

I do not know what this has to do with anything, but a memory from the past.

Cheers.

Robert.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:03 PM, Double R said:

On another sporting activity of Cycling.  I remember in track racing, the best riders would be off scratch and other cyclists would be on handicaps in front of that.

I do not know what this has to do with anything, but a memory from the past.

Cheers.

Robert.

Yes you are right there Double R

Edited by hizzy
left name out