RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Alan B

Can Lazarus do it?

He is obviously such a good horse. Can he back up after travelling from NZ compete in three heats and  win the final of Inters?

The reports on him are huge so I think he can.

Being from Perth I am wondering what some of the opinions  are from NZ?

6 hours ago, Alan B said:

He is obviously such a good horse. Can he back up after travelling from NZ compete in three heats and  win the final of Inters?

The reports on him are huge so I think he can.

Being from Perth I am wondering what some of the opinions  are from NZ?

Theres some suggestion the guy who trains him knows what he is doing so that's a start. Only time will tell if he can win the final but on raw ability he is a champion.

Ooh she's gunna be hard job for Lazzie, yep yep yep! but, he's a tough customer, speedy, can stay all day got the gun colours on and Mark P (his mate) drivin him, they'll know he's there for sure  :D personally I don't think he took too much out of himself at NZ Cup, he had plenty in store at the finish, he wasn't hard pressed to win it.......GOOOOOO! all the Kiwi guns over there, you lucky aussies are in for a treat......

Cheers Iraklis

39 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

He was right, altho Mark woudnt have knocked Lazarus around . Soho Tribeca is a smart horse. It wont be easy given the nature of this track. 

He will only be right after the final is run.....

(the track makes my head spin by the way)

Actually, when I think about it, on an 804 metre turning track I could beat Lazarus if I had a much better draw. Soho Tribeca was a cert in hindsight

If the trainer of Soho Tribeca wants to make big statements, let him do it at a real and fair track. Gloucester Park is like giving Usain Bolt a 20m start in a 100m race if you draw badly. Bollocks really. Thank god the interdominions are not staying there permanently or it would be consigned to history as nobody would go after a few years.

<rant ended>

44 minutes ago, Double R said:

Off the subject, but keeping it in the Purdon stable, Titan Banner is re-entering their stable, for an Auckland campaign.

Understandable. Titan Banner under-performed at the Cup carnival, not sure why Anderson decided to train the horse himself when the Purdon/Rasmussen had improved the horse so much. 

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Actually, when I think about it, on an 804 metre turning track I could beat Lazarus if I had a much better draw. Soho Tribeca was a cert in hindsight

If the trainer of Soho Tribeca wants to make big statements, let him do it at a real and fair track. Gloucester Park is like giving Usain Bolt a 20m start in a 100m race if you draw badly. Bollocks really. Thank god the interdominions are not staying there permanently or it would be consigned to history as nobody would go after a few years.

<rant ended>

I agree the track is obviously too small, should be made larger and have a sprint lane. Having said that it is still one of the best viewing tracks, being so small you feel like you are right up close. For those who have been there they will get it. By the way the Inters started in Perth so I expect they should move around and come back some day. Hopefully something will be done about the track before then.

7 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

Understandable. Titan Banner under-performed at the Cup carnival, not sure why Anderson decided to train the horse himself when the Purdon/Rasmussen had improved the horse so much. 

Listening to Dexter Dunn talk after the Cup, he said the horses' momentum was knocked when TigerTara broke down the back. He drew badly in the Free-For -All, and ran on solidly without ever threatening. His results did not reflect on how he actually went.

4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Gloucester a lovely track, I was surprised in the 2 times I have been to it, how many horses actually came from behind to win and I wouldn't think many 800m tracks with a starting 9 off the front....however plenty have come from a wide draw and won there.

They now start 10 off the front since they rebanked the track a couple of years ago. 

Yes they often do come from a fair way back. It all has to do with tempo at GP. If the leader can pinch an easy quarter down the back then very hard to beat as they rail like greyhounds around  the final bend and then it is all over. However if they are attacked with the 3 wide line from the 800 the leader often caves in and the swoopers get a live chance.It does make for great viewing being so close to the track especially when they are attacking with a round to go.  Most races are run in 1.55 or thereabouts MRs so it is good competitive racing. It does make it hard for visiting horses to adjust to the sprinting out of the gate and then going hard all the way, unlike NZ when they often settle into a rhythm before sprinting from the 800.

13 hours ago, Alan B said:

I agree the track is obviously too small, should be made larger and have a sprint lane.

This is the way GP is and wont change. It is what makes it unique plus the crowd (whenever they get one) right in the horses faces. There is no room to extend the track with a school bounding one side and the roads and a hill the others. Also the topic of a passing  lane has been raised many times and each time the drivers and most of the public want it to remain without one. This may change sometime in the distant future, 

52 minutes ago, harewood said:

They now start 10 off the front since they rebanked the track a couple of years ago. 

Yes they often do come from a fair way back. It all has to do with tempo at GP. If the leader can pinch an easy quarter down the back then very hard to beat as they rail like greyhounds around  the final bend and then it is all over. However if they are attacked with the 3 wide line from the 800 the leader often caves in and the swoopers get a live chance.It does make for great viewing being so close to the track especially when they are attacking with a round to go.  Most races are run in 1.55 or thereabouts MRs so it is good competitive racing. It does make it hard for visiting horses to adjust to the sprinting out of the gate and then going hard all the way, unlike NZ when they often settle into a rhythm before sprinting from the 800.

This is the way GP is and wont change. It is what makes it unique plus the crowd (whenever they get one) right in the horses faces. There is no room to extend the track with a school bounding one side and the roads and a hill the others. Also the topic of a passing  lane has been raised many times and each time the drivers and most of the public want it to remain without one. This may change sometime in the distant future, 

Frankly, having experienced the vaguerys of the no passing lane being at last year's Inters, I think the drivers would have to reprogramme their brains and driving methods if a passing lane was introduced. As Paul alluded to the tempo would change as there wouldn't be such a charge from the back and the frontrunners would have to pace themselves to leave something in the tank. Having said that I was mightily impressed with the set up at Glouchester Park. 

Interesting sometimes you hear trainers, tipsters and scribes alike, say that draws don't matter, for me draws are huge and can't be under estimated in the outcome of a race, wether it be a maiden or a open class race, the second line as good as a 10m handicap. 

19 hours ago, Shad said:

Interesting sometimes you hear trainers, tipsters and scribes alike, say that draws don't matter, for me draws are huge and can't be under estimated in the outcome of a race, wether it be a maiden or a open class race, the second line as good as a 10m handicap. 

Draws are particularly important for weaker horses. Stronger or better horses horses can overcome bad barrier draws depending on the strength of the field. I agree barrier draws are really important. Just look at Lazarus in the current Inters series. Such a good horse but hasn't won a heat yet due to bad barrier draws.