RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Swede

Race fixing

Geez, maybe just maybe “The Brodster”  May have to eat humble pie!

Everybody is doing it according to the lawyer???

Dont think they are doing it in Nz but obviously with the amount of racing in Oz harness that goes on they are supplementing their income from fixing racing!

Bugger Oz harness I will stick to what I know and leave over the ditch alone if they are going to be pulling the wool over the punters eyes!

Thought they had a lot of nil drives at time at Albion Park!

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

Geez, maybe just maybe “The Brodster”  May have to eat humble pie!

Everybody is doing it according to the lawyer???

Dont think they are doing it in Nz but obviously with the amount of racing in Oz harness that goes on they are supplementing their income from fixing racing!

Bugger Oz harness I will stick to what I know and leave over the ditch alone if they are going to be pulling the wool over the punters eyes!

Thought they had a lot of nil drives at time at Albion Park!

I think the reference made to "everybody is doing it"  related to the charge of having prior knowledge of other drivers tactics. In other words drivers asking other drivers what their tactics were to be prior  to a race. Comment did not relate to the actual 2 race fixing charges. Rather sad really.

And nothing changes. Way back in the late sixtys I was at Hutt Park one night, standing by the rail alongside the marshalling yard. And no it wasn't raining, I think the bro,s had forgotten to do their rain dance for once. 

I clearly heard Peter Wolfendon ask from the seat of his cart " who's turn to win is it". It is one of the most endearing memorys of Hutt Park. The poor punter was up against it back then.

6 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

And nothing changes. Way back in the late sixtys I was at Hutt Park one night, standing by the rail alongside the marshalling yard. And no it wasn't raining, I think the bro,s had forgotten to do their rain dance for once. 

I clearly heard Peter Wolfendon ask from the seat of his cart " who's turn to win is it". It is one of the most endearing memorys of Hutt Park. The poor punter was up against it back then.

guess that explains how Rondel won an interdominion ?:ph34r:

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Used to go there regularly Globe. There were some great memories from back then....Radiant Globe, Garcon Roux, Stanley Rio, Chequer Board, Mighty Chief, Robalan and co. Some dodgy goings on as you say. How many slipped away coming to the turn while everybody else was apparently asleep...remember Derek Jones doing it regularly with Snowline and the like. When Scottish Command won the Wellington Cup one night he came from three back on the fence which was impossible to do there...stablemate in front of him conveniently broke taking out another so letting him out to bolt in.......ah the good old days.....:rolleyes:

50 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

Used to go there regularly Globe. There were some great memories from back then....Radiant Globe, Garcon Roux, Stanley Rio, Chequer Board, Mighty Chief, Robalan and co. Some dodgy goings on as you say. How many slipped away coming to the turn while everybody else was apparently asleep...remember Derek Jones doing it regularly with Snowline and the like. When Scottish Command won the Wellington Cup one night he came from three back on the fence which was impossible to do there...stablemate in front of him conveniently broke taking out another so letting him out to bolt in.......ah the good old days.....:rolleyes:

I don't know if you were there the night Devine had Lord Module and Sunseeker his stablemate in the same race.  Sunseeker led to the turn with LM in the trail. Well guess who moved blatantly off the fence blocking those outside and forcing them wide while LM rockets through and wins. Try that today and one would think you would be toast.

Actually backed Snowline one night, she payed heaps . And remember Maurice Holmes having his last drive after the draconian early retirement rule. He duly won on an old Trotter called Transmitter  Sound. Good times they were

2 hours ago, chelseacol said:

guess that explains how Rondel won an interdominion ?:ph34r:

No, shit driving by the opposition. Peter was a great driver as we know, but not averse to bending or circumventing the rules obviously from my observation. Incomes werent great for drivers so any advantage gained without raising suspicion was fair game one would think. Cecile Devine was always in hot water when trying all manner of gadgets to get Lord Module to behave. Some that would have the PC green brigade turning red in the face.

16 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Any one else on here go to Hutt Park in its heyday.??

I remember winning my first race there, with DG giving me a hand ;). Also remember beating DG’s grandson when he was having his first drive( my horse had a bigger head),something I remind him of every time I see him, can’t take that away from me, although said grandson kicked on pretty good :).

Hutt Park was an exciting place to drive and for the punters to view as it had that velodrome quality with lots of movement, where everyone could see, and because it was small and banked , you naturally ran quicker. Good times.

GLOBE DERBY 12 Maurice Holmes last drive was Transmitter Sound BUT it was at Alexandra Park the last race of the night...... Circa 1975

Transmitter Sound a Trotter was owned/trained by Bruce Stenning at Pakuranga I think but I do remember backing it............ what a master driver the horse wouldn't have won with anyone else driving , I can still see it propping and skipping and almost breaking the whole last lap.

Thanks for the memory.

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

Any one else on here go to Hutt Park in its heyday.??

I was on relieving duties in Wellington  around 1959/60 - can't even remember the hotel's name but it was pretty close to the railway station.     Anyway I think it was Tuesday night and after work went outside the pub after a beer (6 pm closing) and said to a taxi driver "what does anyone do here on a Tuesday night.     He said go to the trots - hop in.     Fare was cheap.     Decided to have a double - take first leg then swap ticket if you won for a runner in the second leg.       Never had a double at trots before but I can remember what it was.     Both favourites and bugger all return but my first ever double.     King Hal with Pohutakawa. 

3 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

GLOBE DERBY 12 Maurice Holmes last drive was Transmitter Sound BUT it was at Alexandra Park the last race of the night...... Circa 1975

Transmitter Sound a Trotter was owned/trained by Bruce Stenning at Pakuranga I think but I do remember backing it............ what a master driver the horse wouldn't have won with anyone else driving , I can still see it propping and skipping and almost breaking the whole last lap.

Thanks for the memory.

Thanks Ivan, memory is hazy from those days. Still remember seeing Cardigan Bay at the park when he was taken on tour after returning from USA. Boy he looked good even at that age. Still have the programme from that night.

It was a great track , shell grit and fast. 

Also remember an Aussie horse,  Mount Eden running there. Absolutely brilliant horse but mad as a meat axe and had a  tendency to gallop madly. 

19 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Claudelands was great in its day to, backed a few winners there. Loved a black trotting mare called TePuna and E.D Wallis used to pop up with Niloc, great nights out.

Ahh Claudlands and Reg Clap commentating. That was the essence of my teenage years . Today's generation would call it boring , but I lived to get down to the track and watch or listen to Harness on the radio. Many a time at college I was caught with a radio , listening during class time to an important race ( well more important than a stodgy old history teacher).

Lost times but good times.

My uncle used to be good mates with DG and they would meet up when he came up to Auckland. He always told me how he did his dough on a DG horse at Alex Park the first night . He asked him what had gone wrong and DG said "   Heck, you weren't meant to back it the first night mate,  it was the last night you were supposed to back it " It duly bolted in.    One of the best was a mate being told a particular horse at Alex Park in late 70's had been fonged up.  This mare had five lasts in a row and mate reckoned we would be looking at a $ 70 dividend at least. He cursed bitterly when it opened at $ 7.   Shot to the front and won by 5 lengths, what I remember most is Reg Clapp saying it won like it had a jet engine on its back.   We had some fun in those days.

A friend of my mum's, a Mrs Menzies,  had an erratic trotter called Diogenees ?  trained at Cambridge. The horse loved Hutt Park and although still a school kid I was betting under age in 6th form. Decided to take a treble and leave it out , but my mum said she'd put in the extra and throw Diogenees in.  Told her not to bother, and this night at Hutt Park turned out he  was on his best behaviour and bolted in. Cost me a $ 300 treble, which might seem a pittance now, but to a schoolboy in 1976 seemed a hell of a lot of money to miss out on.

1 hour ago, Mr Spyro said:

A friend of my mum's, a Mrs Menzies,  had an erratic trotter called Diogenees ?  trained at Cambridge. The horse loved Hutt Park and although still a school kid I was betting under age in 6th form. Decided to take a treble and leave it out , but my mum said she'd put in the extra and throw Diogenees in.  Told her not to bother, and this night at Hutt Park turned out he  was on his best behaviour and bolted in. Cost me a $ 300 treble, which might seem a pittance now, but to a schoolboy in 1976 seemed a hell of a lot of money to miss out on.

Great name Diogenes (?)

I'm so old and sad that my favourite memory of the  horse was the classic Reon Murtha call in the 1979 Interdom Trotters Final at Addington. Of course No Response won in stunning style after a rather scary R Brosnan drive.

I can still quote bits of the commentary which included after they had run past the post and Reon was calling the rest of the horses in finishing order..

".....and Diogenes just going by the line........you had to see it it believe it....."  and went on to hail No Response.

Brilliant

I recall the club had the dress rug made up for cinnamod junior at Hutt Park forget the year and it had the horse"s name on it but it was displayed in a backroom for years because the horse was disqualified. Hutt Park was fantastic and only shortsightedlocal Council and Haress Racing nz  and the then racing Authority caused its demise. (lets add to be fair a little infighting at committee/otb/greyhound level also did not help !)

1 hour ago, chelseacol said:

Great name Diogenes (?)

I'm so old and sad that my favourite memory of the  horse was the classic Reon Murtha call in the 1979 Interdom Trotters Final at Addington. Of course No Response won in stunning style after a rather scary R Brosnan drive.

I can still quote bits of the commentary which included after they had run past the post and Reon was calling the rest of the horses in finishing order..

".....and Diogenes just going by the line........you had to see it it believe it....."  and went on to hail No Response.

Brilliant

I remember Diogenes, I think it was trained by M Pruden? I can recall it racing at Addington in the late '70s. The horse was erratic but it did win 18 races and the competition was much hotter in the trotting ranks in those days. Some of the horses he did battle with include Scotch Tar, Framalda, Waipounamu, Petite Evander, Isla Voss, Waitaki Gamble, Even Speed, No Response, Nigel Craig and Easton Light. These are some of the best trotters we have seen and I think most of them would beat the poor lot of trotters we have at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Didn't Diogenes sire a few trotters as well?

I remember he was put down after breaking a leg but can't recall if that was at stud or he was still racing.    Can't think of owner  Mrs Menzies  christian name but her husband and co -owner  was Murray Menzies, % 99 percent sure he played rugby for Ponsonby and then Auckland.   Diogenes  was a hard horse to catch but on his night real hard to beat  when he led.

3 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

I remember Diogenes, I think it was trained by M Pruden? I can recall it racing at Addington in the late '70s. The horse was erratic but it did win 18 races and the competition was much hotter in the trotting ranks in those days. Some of the horses he did battle with include Scotch Tar, Framalda, Waipounamu, Petite Evander, Isla Voss, Waitaki Gamble, Even Speed, No Response, Nigel Craig and Easton Light. These are some of the best trotters we have seen and I think most of them would beat the poor lot of trotters we have at the moment. 

some great trotters in that list.

I still remember Scotch Tar breaking at the top of the straight at Addington a few times. Didn't they work out someone was whistling at him ?? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Gee he could run though - FFA on Show Day being the best example of that.