RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

NZRB 2017 report Brian de Lore

I was surprised to see Kurow and Taupo amongst the racing bets that paddypower.com will be taking today.  I only came upon that as I get a google search on horse racing each day.  It is usually American crap but occasionally snippets like this come up.  Of course, the racing will be in the middle of the night for the Poms who use that site.

The thought of Poms choosing to bet on Kurow, rather than the Hackney dogs intrigues me.

3 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I was surprised to see Kurow and Taupo amongst the racing bets that paddypower.com will be taking today.  I only came upon that as I get a google search on horse racing each day.  It is usually American crap but occasionally snippets like this come up.  Of course, the racing will be in the middle of the night for the Poms who use that site.

The thought of Poms choosing to bet on Kurow, rather than the Hackney dogs intrigues me.

Some would choose to bet on Kurow rather than Ellerslie

Brian de Lore's latest piece in The Informant is wonderful.

He interviewed John Messara from Australia.

His piece is required reading.  I welcome comments from those who have read it.

Basically what Messara is saying is that the NZ Racing Board is unnecessary.  What we need is four bodies; the gallops, the trots, the Totalisator Agency Board  and the greyhounds.  I read his thoughts and began thinking; if Messara had his way the redundancy costs in the Racing Board would cripple NZ racing.  So many useless people would be made redundant that the severance costs would be a nightmare.  Others would argue that that is a necessary investment in the future of our industry.

Please read it and tell me where it is wrong. 

Guest 2Admin2
9 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

Brian de Lore's latest piece in The Informant is wonderful.

He interviewed John Messara from Australia.

His piece is required reading.  I welcome comments from those who have read it.

Basically what Messara is saying is that the NZ Racing Board is unnecessary.  What we need is four bodies; the gallops, the trots, the Totalisator Agency Board  and the greyhounds.  I read his thoughts and began thinking; if Messara had his way the redundancy costs in the Racing Board would cripple NZ racing.  So many useless people would be made redundant that the severance costs would be a nightmare.  Others would argue that that is a necessary investment in the future of our industry.

Please read it and tell me where it is wrong. 

An All Weather Track is a red herring, a diversion from the real issues.

I don't think the Auckland Art Gallery is an industry with a government legislated monopoly from which it can generate its own revenue. That's exactly the sort of community organisation where community funding such as the pokie funding that racing is currently taking from communities and taxpayers, should be going.

Guest 2Admin2
6 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Absolutely incorrect. The Art Gallery is a snobby elitist entity used by very few.

Pokie money should be going back to the communities and the users from whence it came, the underprivileged, the impoverished, the addicted, and the aged, or for facilities those sectors and their families are likely to benefit from, ie schools, pools etc....

Don't let facts get in the way of your campaign.

520,000 visitors to the gallery last year.  How many to Ellerslie?

Guest 2Admin2

An All Weather Track (which I guess is what your Art Gallery $20m is being compared to) will spell the end of racing as we know it is this country.

It is a Trojan Horse to bring about consolidation and rationalisation.  Unfortunately that will mean further control by those who have failed us.

NZTR for the last 4 years have budgeted for abandonments to balance the books.  To argue that the latest abandonments have cost the industry is mischievous at best.  They have cost the participants that pay but not NZRB nor NZTR. 

38 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Yep, and I was one of them.

Doesn't change the fact it’s an elitist entity used by few ( but multiple times ) and as such shouldn’t be taxpayer funded, it should be “ user pays “ of course.

I don’t have a campaign anyway, my observations were initially that lefties choose their targets carefully but without great thought, Racing is the enemy to them on many fronts, animal welfare being one, but the incredibly cruel sport of fishing is ok, they also often argue that pokies can be used for anything except racing, and I get that, but my point was that whomever generates the pokie income should have it reinvested into their community.

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I note Phil Goff announced yesterday that the Auckland City Council will commit another 20 million to the Auckland Art Gallery.

20 million, straight from the ratepayers wallets, and not a murmur of discontent.

How many homeless people could that 20 million provide shelter for ?

Why aren’t the anti Racing screamers opposing this largesse ?

Well having the PM as Arts Minister helps....it is the sort of thing she will support with funding.

They do get pretty good numbers through there and should be charging, particularly overseas visitors, for the privilege.

No one expects to visit these places for nothing these days.

36 minutes ago, Insider said:

It cost my husband and me plenty to go to the Guggenheim in Bilbao two years ago! Firstly we had to get there, but it was worth it, both for the building and what’s inside it!

Probably not a like for like comparison there Liz....but we get your drift.....;)

The TAB and their empire building.

We have had betting on American races for quite some time now.  So the investment in developing that market should be showing some return to the industry here in NZ.  So let's have a look.

This morning there was betting on seven races from the USA; many of the other races were abandoned.  Total turnover was exactly $12,000.  At a 15.48% take out that generated $1850.40 for the TAB, of which $241.36 was GST; down to $1609.  From that sum a percentage must be paid to the USA, and the myriad of overhead costs must be sustained.  Those costs will not be disclosed as the pitiful excuse of commercial sensitivity will be raised.  An excuse that usually means we have stuffed up and don't want you to know how much we have stuffed up.  When one takes that myriad of overhead expenses into account I just cannot see how there is a quid in it at  all for the NZ racing industry.  By overhead expenses one must include the amortisation of the huge information technology expenditure in setting up such a system and staff on statutory holiday rates monitoring the system and so on and so on.  That old hoary story about marginal costing being used will be raised.  But there is so much marginal costing being used, that the monumental overheads are shafted onto the NZ thoroughbred code in an unjust manner

Our Racing Board is run by the boys for the boys and the rest of the NZ racing industry can go and get stuffed.

1 hour ago, Tauhei Notts said:

We have had betting on American races for quite some time now.  So the investment in developing that market should be showing some return to the industry here in NZ.  So let's have a look.

This morning there was betting on seven races from the USA; many of the other races were abandoned.  Total turnover was exactly $12,000.  At a 15.48% take out that generated $1850.40 for the TAB, of which $241.36 was GST; down to $1609.  From that sum a percentage must be paid to the USA, and the myriad of overhead costs must be sustained.  Those costs will not be disclosed as the pitiful excuse of commercial sensitivity will be raised.  An excuse that usually means we have stuffed up and don't want you to know how much we have stuffed up.  When one takes that myriad of overhead expenses into account I just cannot see how there is a quid in it at  all for the NZ racing industry.  By overhead expenses one must include the amortisation of the huge information technology expenditure in setting up such a system and staff on statutory holiday rates monitoring the system and so on and so on.  That old hoary story about marginal costing being used will be raised.  But there is so much marginal costing being used, that the monumental overheads are shafted onto the NZ thoroughbred code in an unjust manner

Our Racing Board is run by the boys for the boys and the rest of the NZ racing industry can go and get stuffed.

Maybe we are doing much better the other way around.

We will need it to be, otherwise it will be all a huge waste of our precious money!

By the other way around, I mean the betting that the Yanks do on our fields or the amount that they pay us for them. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is “conditional” that we take their races if they are taking ours. 

It would be great if we were given the facts, then we wouldn’t all have to guess, and probably guess wrong!

It would be interesting to know just what the betting figures are from North America, as if ours are anything to go by, they won't be very good. With the Australian racing product now going into the US, we would be up against it you would think.

5 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination the US racing looks a success, but I doubt there are large overheads in delivering the product in NZ apart from perhaps licence fees .

My understanding is its just being trialed at this stage, so perhaps they have a plan.

TAB coverage of USA fields/betting - and I daresay HK andSingapore fields/betting is PATHETIC.

They clearly want us to 'invest' (translation: risk and probably lose $$) but there is no FORM ANALYSIS shown with the runners. Example: the next race at Sha Tin:

https://www.tab.co.nz/racing/extendedform.html?date=2018-04-02&meetno=19&raceno

You may as well put a pin through it or back your favourite colour or jockey or number. Or go to bed!

12 hours ago, weasel57 said:

You may as well put a pin through it or back your favourite colour or jockey or number. Or go to bed!

If it wasn't so pathetic and frustrating it would be comic!

If one  compares and contrasts the racing info from say NZ,  Au and HK then NZ comes in a rather distance LAST... tailed off! The people who are responsible for this debacle need shooting!  

Care to comment John Allan???

16 hours ago, Huey said:

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination the US racing looks a success, but I doubt there are large overheads in delivering the product in NZ apart from perhaps licence fees .

My understanding is its just being trialed at this stage, so perhaps they have a plan.

That's a very optimistic view Huey.....they might very well have a plan, but given progress to date, it's unlikely to be a good one....:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, weasel57 said:

TAB coverage of USA fields/betting - and I daresay HK andSingapore fields/betting is PATHETIC.

They clearly want us to 'invest' (translation: risk and probably lose $$) but there is no FORM ANALYSIS shown with the runners. Example: the next race at Sha Tin:

https://www.tab.co.nz/racing/extendedform.html?date=2018-04-02&meetno=19&raceno

You may as well put a pin through it or back your favourite colour or jockey or number. Or g

Hong Kong and Singapore TV coverage is in some ways better than NZ with long leadups in the parade ring.

However the Singapore presenters can be very annoying with useless banter about trivial non racing bits and pieces. Neither funny or entertaining. Tom Wood would do well to take on board that critcism.

The TAB was never settup to present the form. They rather secretly started compiling databases in the early nineties. There is no need to duplicate overseas form websites rather establishing formal links to those sites.

I suspect that the real reason for persisting with the North American race feeds is that they give the TAB's an excuse to open early and suck copious amounts of cash from the pokie addicts pockets.  Won't find this strategy outlined in any management operations review, or the results of their effort in any balance sheets though.

The NZRB has their latest half year report out.  Looking past the spin they:

1. made less money than a year ago (net profit down).

2. have further eroded the net equity on the balance sheet.  $15m deposit cashed in and net equity has dropped ~$7m. 

But , but, but.... the "strategic initiatives" are all doing great and delivering (well those that have been delivered).

Cue the Tui ad........