RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Journalism

I don't know about you but being able to read a newspaper is still dear to my heart. I don't care that trees are being chopped down or that the toxic ink residue resides on my fingers well after the event

but what I do mind is inaccurate and lazy journalism that pervays our toxic medians.

Mike Dillon is a likeable enough chap. I can't say I know him well but there has always been a cordial acknowledgement of each other when we have met. But his standard of work is no longer doing the industry any favours. 

In reading the Herald this morning, I took issue with two statements of Mike's work which were surrounded by a boring sloppy repository of words that contained no passion or uniqueness required to make any story interesting to the reader. In one instance he describes Sam Spratt as "the finest front running jockeys of modern times". Have I been away from New Zealand for such a length of time to have missed the events to which such an accolade could be attributed?

Secondly, I baulked where he used the expression "before being offloaded to Hong Kong" as a reference to Werther being sold to Hong Kong. Nearly $1,000,000 is not an "offload " in my opinion.

Now you may find this trivial but You must remember that we are trying to seduce people to racing so  why are we prepared to put up with sloppiness 

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good whinge Berri. Agree that the writer is well past his use by date, but this is what he actually wrote; "Spratt has soft hands and is one of the finest front-running jockeys of modern times. Simply put, horses run for her - and often keep running." 

ONE of the best.  That's a lot different to THE best, as you've misquoted above. 

10 hours ago, Idolmite said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good whinge Berri. Agree that the writer is well past his use by date, but this is what he actually wrote; "Spratt has soft hands and is one of the finest front-running jockeys of modern times. Simply put, horses run for her - and often keep running." 

ONE of the best.  That's a lot different to THE best, as you've misquoted above. 

Berri did not say that... he missed out " one of..."