RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Worst Ever

That would be the worst ever 1000 Guineas field I have ever seen. I'm really sorry....I quite like Prom Queen but lord help us all if that's the best we can come up with. It may be a sign of the times but the real question is where are we going to go from here? Is it that we don't have good horses that are three year old fillies or should the 1000 Guineas be shifted north?

I think you only have to go back to last year to find a worse 1000 Guineas field - the form out of last year's race is awful.  La Diosa won fresh up in Sydney in the autumn but has done nothing since and of the rest, not many of them have won a race in NZ since the 1000 Guineas.

But yes tomorrow not a great field either.  The three at the bottom are maidens and have one placing and $2,400 stake money between them.

Admittedly one of them is nicely bred and is much better than the formline suggests.

6 hours ago, Berri said:

That would be the worst ever 1000 Guineas field I have ever seen. I'm really sorry....I quite like Prom Queen but lord help us all if that's the best we can come up with. It may be a sign of the times but the real question is where are we going to go from here? Is it that we don't have good horses that are three year old fillies or should the 1000 Guineas be shifted north?

Bit tough on Prom Queen Berri.  She has won eight of nine but ' ..... lord help us if that's is the best we can come up with'? What more could she have done other than win the other start?  She could well be a champion in the making.  And as for shifting it north which Northern fillies can you identify who would strengthen the field and if there are any why have their trainers not come south?

I think you will find that the dreadful spring weather is the reason for the lighter than usual field quality and numbers wise and indeed that and the road issues are the reason for the lack of Northerners at the cup meeting this year.  

What it does do is give the Southerners a crack at some good stakes and hey why not?  I think the racing has been of reasonable standard, bar the 2000 Guineas rough house carry on , and at the end of the day the South deserves it's day in the sun.

I think you may see that I took Prom Queen aside in my post. In fact before the Everest my mind was on one occasion allowed to wander into a fanciful realm where she was put up as NZ's representative in that race.

And forget the day in the sun schpeel, I'm talking purist language here. There simply aren't the horse numbers down south anymore, the cost of transportation is rediculous, if you don't live down there you lose a large proportion of the rest of the season because the horse is shagged, and you get fields like you now have. It depresses the betting, and just to have the boot put in, in future years the filly's progeny don't have the value because we all know it was a weak race.

Bugger is all I can say

1 hour ago, Berri said:

I think you may see that I took Prom Queen aside in my post. In fact before the Everest my mind was on one occasion allowed to wander into a fanciful realm where she was put up as NZ's representative in that race.

And forget the day in the sun schpeel, I'm talking purist language here. There simply aren't the horse numbers down south anymore, the cost of transportation is rediculous, if you don't live down there you lose a large proportion of the rest of the season because the horse is shagged, and you get fields like you now have. It depresses the betting, and just to have the boot put in, in future years the filly's progeny don't have the value because we all know it was a weak race.

Bugger is all I can say

Yeah well should the southerners be put at a disadvantage if they want to contest the race by travelling north and shagging their season?  You only need to look how form dips after Southern horses go to the Wellington Cup.  Travel is an unfortunate fact of life and bear in mind the Northerners can get flights south whereas there is no regular flight north.

I don't think the fields are too bad this carnival - some of the supporting races have been excellent betting fields

I know I am biased but I am tipping Pitty to have a huge day today.

You don't think the fields are too bad?!? Morty...you got a case of amnesia?  These fields are woeful for what is meant to be one of the best racing days in NZ. I'd bet that there are very few that would win a race in Melbourne on a Saturday during the carnival. 

In respect of traveling, if the horse population in in the north island, and we're trying to get the best field possible because we want to bench mark our stock, and create a betting event at the same time,  and one of the major resistant factors for the northern tribe to compete is the travel, then why would you continue to flog a very very dead horse?

14 minutes ago, Berri said:

You don't think the fields are too bad?!? Morty...you got a case of amnesia?  These fields are woeful for what is meant to be one of the best racing days in NZ. I'd bet that there are very few that would win a race in Melbourne on a Saturday during the carnival. 

In respect of traveling, if the horse population in in the north island, and we're trying to get the best field possible because we want to bench mark our stock, and create a betting event at the same time,  and one of the major resistant factors for the northern tribe to compete is the travel, then why would you continue to flog a very very dead horse?

Well first things first I am not Morty(he goes by the name Midget you might be aware or has amnesia struck you?)

I am afraid if you are worried about the comparison with international fields that horse has well and truly bolted.  It would not matter where in NZ you ran those races the standard would not be up to the best Aussie class.  Witness Sharrock's reluctance to test Kawi(our 'best') in Aussie again despite spending the last four years telling us how he was going to deal with them when he matured

What I mean by decent fields is decent betting fields and a selection of good riders not suggesting they are high class lineups.  Most importantly the South is getting a decent share of the stakes

Jeez you blokes with pseudonyms test my mad cow. 

I'll wager that the betting will be down from last year. Prom Queen dominates the betting game in the Guineas, and I can see a couple of other races that have obvious favourites 

Was just reading this post when i realised race was about to start. 

Berri in reality this race often lacks depth with generally only 3 or 4 genuine class fillies. On that score this no worse than many other editions. 

Dijon Bleu clearly the benchmark filly thus far, Hasaholo a very good 2YO last year. Prom Queen has great winning record but hard to guage the class of fields she has beaten. Most of the rest of the field have shown enough to be a chance for a place.

The true depth of the field wont be known for another 6 months i would think.

12 hours ago, Berri said:

Jeez you blokes with pseudonyms test my mad cow. 

I'll wager that the betting will be down from last year. Prom Queen dominates the betting game in the Guineas, and I can see a couple of other races that have obvious favourites 

hows the turnover berri

To be fair on this topic Berri looking at the list of 1000 Guineas winners in yesterday's racebook there have not been a terrible lot to set the world alight in the last 17 years. Seachange, Kings Rose and The Jewel are really the only ones to make a mark in Aussie, Risqué to a lesser extent.  There are a lot of very nice fillies listed and don't want to insult anyone's horse but there aren't too many world beaters.  Katie Lee and Daffodil certainly made an NZ impression but who is to say Hasahalo will not go on?

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Yeah well should the southerners be put at a disadvantage if they want to contest the race by travelling north and shagging their season?  You only need to look how form dips after Southern horses go to the Wellington Cup.  Travel is an unfortunate fact of life and bear in mind the Northerners can get flights south whereas there is no regular flight north.

I don't think the fields are too bad this carnival - some of the supporting races have been excellent betting fields

I know I am biased but I am tipping Pitty to have a huge day today.

When I first got into racing many years ago my late uncle gve me great advice to always  back South Island horses at Trentham during their Cup Carnival. His reasons were that South Island horses have good hard racing over NZ Cup Week and through the Christmas New Year which prepares them well for the big Trentham track. My uncle was not a biased South Islander, he was from Hastings

Take the last two seasons, The winner of The telegraph paying $40 plus  and the previous year a $110 winner. There are not a lot of South Island horses that travel north to the carnival and they tend to be outsiders so when they win, the dividend is well over the odds..

1 hour ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

To be fair on this topic Berri looking at the list of 1000 Guineas winners in yesterday's racebook there have not been a terrible lot to set the world alight in the last 17 years. Seachange, Kings Rose and The Jewel are really the only ones to make a mark in Aussie, Risqué to a lesser extent.  There are a lot of very nice fillies listed and don't want to insult anyone's horse but there aren't too many world beaters.  Katie Lee and Daffodil certainly made an NZ impression but who is to say Hasahalo will not go on?

Tom I think Daffodil won an AJC Oaks and was 4th in Caulfield Cup. Probably rates her amoungst the better ones i would think.

19 hours ago, gary1 said:

hows the turnover berri

Who was able to get hold of the betting turnovers in this site? Are we still able to access them? It would be great to compare the NZ Cup day turnovers for 2016 and 2017 to see waht happened.

Guest 2Admin2

Used to be every week which Purcell did very well.  New regime "Keep it in the dark".

On 11/18/2017 at 7:37 AM, Berri said:

I haven't jumped on this thread earlier  as I was out every day last week supporting the industry by being at 5 race meetings,  punting Thursday off course,  eating and drinking on and off track, buying tickets and hospitality, having horses start, and thoroughly enjoying myself.

This included meeting lots of people who were on track for their once or twice a year racing fix (and they had a fine old time), and meeting lots of people from around the country who love Cup Week for what it is - as good a week's racing carnival as you will see in NZ (and we do Auckland every year and love it so I am not having a dig - just stating a fact).

Are the fields as good as up North - nope.

Do the feature races sometimes lack numbers or quality - yes.

Have I seen some absolutely great horses win the 1000/2000G - yes. This year...? Who knows.

But all this misses the point unless you want to just run races at Ellerslie (or name your NI track of choice). Cup Week is great for the industry. Great for NZ racing. Great for Christchurch and the SI.

Don't try and break something that works just because you might not like the fields this year, or the fact it's not held up North.

PS -well done to the CJC and Addington