RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
john legend

training fees

Jeez I hope my trainer wasnt listening too closely yesterday,cup day. great coverage but poss 3 hours too much of Mick. Chase Auckland is freakish and great advert for Auckland Reactor (but 1swallow is it does not make a summer or something like that. as 160  foals in a crop and 4 winners to date conversely 156 need a little more time ,lol.) getting back to not wanting my trainer to hear was 1 of syndicate members in the delight of winning with a purdon horse said theres 36 members and we all pay168 dollars per month .  that equals 6048 per month or approx $195 per day . not being nosey but even taking out travel shoes gear vet accom management fees. it seems a big figure Still with a Chase auckland  who would care !!! Roll on show day and The Foot Tapper !

Hi John,

I am sure when I heard them talk at the presentation after the win, they have more than one horse in their Syndicate. That might help to explain the makeup of the Syndicate costs.

Cheers.

Robert.

1 hour ago, Fartoomuch said:

Last i heard which was in July Purdon's were 95 plus GST per day plus  extras'

$95 plus extras a day ? I still think well worth it for the right horse, obviously they only take on decent horses so your lucky enough to have a horse they a willing to train i say jump at the chance 

95 a lot of money .Winston/Jacinda/.  only give me $56.00 per day/. The moral of the story is the purdon horses are better treated and fed than us oldies.!! then again no chance in any of us winning a cup ! ha. I will stick with a small time trainer who is one of the smartest around. (and best facilities)

13 hours ago, john legend said:

95 a lot of money .Winston/Jacinda/.  only give me $56.00 per day/. The moral of the story is the purdon horses are better treated and fed than us oldies.!! then again no chance in any of us winning a cup ! ha. I will stick with a small time trainer who is one of the smartest around. (and best facilities)

There are plenty in the SI who are around the 50pd so you have plenty of choices JL. You need the cattle first though!!

This topic highlights for me the near futility of racing horses (harness or thoroughbreds) in this day and age. The costs are so prohibitive that many people go into various syndicates with up to 100 others and the only ones getting a return out of them are the syndicators and breeders who have huge mark-ups on the prices they paid for the horse at the sales as well as clipping the ticket on the training fees by charging exorbitant amounts of money (collectively) in monthly training fees. Te Akau are a prime example of this in the thoroughbred world and I dear say there are a few around the harness scene getting in on the action too and marketing it as "fun" when in fact you're almost certain to do your dough cold unless you're lucky enough to get a top horse who wins millions. The adverts always tell you about the syndicate that raced some top horse but you never hear about the many syndicated horses that fail miserably. A mate of mine has belonged to 15 different syndicates and the 15 horses he raced were all still maidens when retired. One owner recently told me to cover costs his horse had to win at least five races a year and how many horses do that? Not many. Whoever coined the phrase "it's a mug's game" certainly knew what he was talking about.  Don't get me wrong - it's a great sport and I've loved it for 50 years and been involved in it as an owner and trainer and in other spheres but it's also called the Sport of Kings for a good reason too - you need a king's fortune to be able to race one these days and the returns for most people are abysmal when you take into account the costs. It all comes back to the stakes on offer comparatively being about the same or in some cases even less than they were 30 years ago.

Edited by High Sparrow
corrected "is" to read "in" in the last line