RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
N1MUE

TAB stores - opening hours

According to TAB website their stores are open until 7pm on a Tuesday.

Popped in to Brandon St (Wellington) store just after 6pm tonight and all the form sheets had been taken off the wall and the self serve machines were being shut down.   Told by the staff that it was a 6pm close and it wasn't their decision.

Today was NZ Cup day at Addington and there was still one race to go at that meeting, but one of their bigger retail stores decides to close an hour earlier than the usual closing time???

These guys make it really hard to support them at times :)

What did you pop in there for anyway? to use the toilet? had your phone stopped working? Internet down?.

Get in the real world, no one uses an outlet today.

Similar to these geeks talking about nothing in the paper, take an early morning walk around suburban streets and count up the morning papers in peoples driveways, you will be puffed as fark before you get too 10. 

3 hours ago, barryb said:

What did you pop in there for anyway? to use the toilet? had your phone stopped working? Internet down?.

Similar to these geeks talking about nothing in the paper, take an early morning walk around suburban streets and count up the morning papers in peoples driveways, you will be puffed as fark before you get too 10. 

Some people like betting in cash. Some people like reading the paper. Keep in mind the racing game has a much older fan base than most.... 

He may be a bit behind the times but you’re getting a little ahead of yourself. Not to mention rudely.

9 hours ago, barryb said:

Probably to withdraw a significant amount of cash out of his account....something obviously foreign to you :)

Guest 2Admin2
10 hours ago, barryb said:

What did you say about idiots and the information age in another thread?  

Interesting how different it is in Australia.  I have a friend who just recently moved to Coolum on the Sunshine Coast.  The pub has about 12 TV'S dedicated to racing and race fields and they have a simple form system for putting your bets on.  Fill the form out put it in the machine and a bell rings for the staff to come take your money.  Same process to check your tickets.  The TAB is open from the time the pub opens to when it closes.

300m down the road all of the above is replicated at the surf club which is open more hours than the pub.

8 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

Some people like betting in cash. Some people like reading the paper. Keep in mind the racing game has a much older fan base than most.... 

He may be a bit behind the times but you’re getting a little ahead of yourself. Not to mention rudely.

Sure, racing has an older fan base, do these same people still go into a bank? do they still take their paper Phone and Power bills downtown with a cash or cheque to pay? Do they still handwrite letters to family and post them? Do they still use classifieds in the Newspaper to sell stuff? Do they still use Encyclopedia Brittanica? Do they still use a dictionary or a phone book? What about cassette/VCR tapes?.

These things only 20 yrs ago we accepted as the norm, less than 15yrs ago I was still using dial-up, progressed to broadband & now fibre100. The TAB & Racing are not immune from progress just because majority participants are older, plenty of the above things had older participants as well & they have adapted.

Guest 2Admin2
21 minutes ago, barryb said:

Sure, racing has an older fan base, do these same people still go into a bank? do they still take their paper Phone and Power bills downtown with a cash or cheque to pay? Do they still handwrite letters to family and post them? Do they still use classifieds in the Newspaper to sell stuff? Do they still use Encyclopedia Brittanica? Do they still use a dictionary or a phone book? What about cassette/VCR tapes?.

These things only 20 yrs ago we accepted as the norm, less than 15yrs ago I was still using dial-up, progressed to broadband & now fibre100. The TAB & Racing are not immune from progress just because majority participants are older, plenty of the above things had older participants as well & they have adapted.

The "information age" as you call it barry is not all about the internet.  It is about providing multiple channels for your customers to choose how they wish to engage.  It is about using technology to provide information and services cheaply.  

Take the Best Bets for example.  I remember one summer 35 plus years ago where I travelled the West Coast, Nelson/Marlborough galloping and trotting circuits with the chap who was responsible for writing the form line for each horse in Best Bets/Turf Digest.  He didn't have the benefit of multiple race replays on the internet to write his lines he had to rely on his observation with the very occasional help from myself to accurately record each horses performance.  He then had to phone in those form lines for printing.  I must say he was a damn sight more accurate than the seemingly random computer generated garbage we get today.

Geez in those days the Hokitika Guardian was still printed using lead type.

The point is we are now in a generation where providing this service is so much cheaper and can be so more accurate but it isn't.  

Instead we see NZRB costs rising - exorbitant salaries with numerous junkets, expensive failed IT products and a reduction in quality services to customers.  The benefit of the "information age" is being squandered at our expense.

As a post note that summer was the best summer of punting I've ever had.  With my Best Bets in my back pocket and eyeballing every horse over numerous race meetings you had a huge advantage.  Using technology innovatively we could provide that type of information for everyone.

4 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

Probably to withdraw a significant amount of cash out of his account....something obviously foreign to you :)

Best joke in the thread

Anything over $300 and they look around all confused like you'd asked to be paid in fried angel toes :lol: