Jump to content
RaceCafe
Sign in to follow this  
Fartoomuch

Will Purdon Rule Again

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Fartoomuch said:

Another outstanding effort on Cup day from the Purdon stable.  Not sure about Tim Williams, he really can butcher them at times.

Totally agree, apart from the drive on Gentle Giant in the last race he was out 3-4 wide on almost all his other drives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Most boring cup for a long time

Thought the dodgems were quite entertaining.

Very hard to be entertaining when the fav leads and runs 3.55 flat home in 54.4. Whos going to kill their horse and chances on that pace to try and attack. To be honest the rest apart from 2nd and 3rd could not run fast enough to offer any serious challenge on that pace. The best horse won easily and therefore in my view it was a good race to watch. The most boring cup I have seen, and I have seen a few, was Chokin in 1993 leading and running 4.04. No challengers at all like they were all scared. Was given a gift in front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recorded and watched it tonight, foregone conclusion from the mile, probably even a lot further out

They certainly handed it to Lazarus on a plate, but any horse taking Lazarus on would have got crunched, so a bit of a case of damned if you do damned if you don't

Congrats to those who have an interest in Jack's Legend, I'm sure you didn't waste any win money against Lazarus, so 4.70 was great money for second, well done:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, harewood said:

Thought the dodgems were quite entertaining.

Very hard to be entertaining when the fav leads and runs 3.55 flat home in 54.4. Whos going to kill their horse and chances on that pace to try and attack. To be honest the rest apart from 2nd and 3rd could not run fast enough to offer any serious challenge on that pace. The best horse won easily and therefore in my view it was a good race to watch. The most boring cup I have seen, and I have seen a few, was Chokin in 1993 leading and running 4.04. No challengers at all like they were all scared. Was given a gift in front. 

Your reading of the race was the same as mine. Had a bit of drama but the best horse won and what a horse he is, time was outstanding as was the drive.

Interesting that my 2 main detractors saw the race differently, now there is a surprise but each to their own

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Totally agree, apart from the drive on Gentle Giant in the last race he was out 3-4 wide on almost all his other drives!

The worst of his efforts was on The Devils Own. Absolutely slaughtered it. If you owned it you would have every right to be pissed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Totally agree, apart from the drive on Gentle Giant in the last race he was out 3-4 wide on almost all his other drives!

Nathan Purdon drove Gentle Giant... T. Williams drove Franco Hampton in this race and he knocked half of the field off their feet turning for home. 

Williams only good drive was on Ashley Locaz that ran close second and probably unlucky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, harewood said:

Thought the dodgems were quite entertaining.

Very hard to be entertaining when the fav leads and runs 3.55 flat home in 54.4. Whos going to kill their horse and chances on that pace to try and attack. To be honest the rest apart from 2nd and 3rd could not run fast enough to offer any serious challenge on that pace. The best horse won easily and therefore in my view it was a good race to watch. The most boring cup I have seen, and I have seen a few, was Chokin in 1993 leading and running 4.04. No challengers at all like they were all scared. Was given a gift in front. 

I thought something might have a dip for the lead in the first mile while the pace was slow, I think Lazarus would have taken a trail if hotly challenged by tiger t, however the result would have been the same ....I find the lack of serious open class horses in nz a worry, apart from Lazarus, heaven rocks , ...dream About me and a couple of others a distant 3rd...Piccadilly princess proved she's not up to it after having that great run in the trail.

Pity not a few more Aussie horses come over to hot it up, their drivers not scared to put a horse into the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fartoomuch said:

 

Interesting that my 2 main detractors saw the race differently, now there is a surprise but each to their own

I think had it not been the cup,most would have thought it was just an average  race as far as excitement went. Because the 2nd best horse in the field was clearly troubled by something and was never  going to place, and the 3rd best was wiped out at the start,it robbed the race as a spectacle.  In my opinion Heaven Rocks is the horse that has  the x factor to excite,his amazing speed would have got the big crowd buzzing, shame he looked well below his best from the start.  An opportunity  missed to give the one day a year race goer something to talk about, irrespective of whether he would have made a race of it with Lazarus.

Personally I thought the Dunn trained trotter that won was the one who created a bit of excitement on the day. For those in attendance by far the majority would not know the relevant class of the horses running in that race,nor do I believe would they really care ,what they would like to witness would be performances out of the ordinary,and on the day I personally thought that was the one that shone brightest. Lets hope a lot of them stuck around to watch that run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thejanitor said:

Nathan Purdon drove Gentle Giant... T. Williams drove Franco Hampton in this race and he knocked half of the field off their feet turning for home. 

Williams only good drive was on Ashley Locaz that ran close second and probably unlucky?

Yes you were right, that makes it even worse for Williams, no wonder he doesn't get as many drives as he used to, Johnny Cox does a far better job on the odd Purdon horse he gets a drive on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, what a post said:

I think had it not been the cup,most would have thought it was just an average  race as far as excitement went. Because the 2nd best horse in the field was clearly troubled by something and was never  going to place, and the 3rd best was wiped out at the start,it robbed the race as a spectacle.  In my opinion Heaven Rocks is the horse that has  the x factor to excite,his amazing speed would have got the big crowd buzzing, shame he looked well below his best from the start.  An opportunity  missed to give the one day a year race goer something to talk about, irrespective of whether he would have made a race of it with Lazarus.

Personally I thought the Dunn trained trotter that won was the one who created a bit of excitement on the day. For those in attendance by far the majority would not know the relevant class of the horses running in that race,nor do I believe would they really care ,what they would like to witness would be performances out of the ordinary,and on the day I personally thought that was the one that shone brightest. Lets hope a lot of them stuck around to watch that run.

Yes agree about the dunn trotter, heaven rocks definitely has that freakish aura about him and if right would have served it up to Lazarus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More breakers on the day than at St Clair. Not a great advert for the game on its biggest day. Don't know why. More trotting races carded than there used to be, and that doesn't help, but there were plenty breaking or getting skittled among the pacers as well.

It would just about have been possible to have backed a favoured (say top four) in each race only to see them all make a mistake/get wiped out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, what a post said:

I think had it not been the cup,most would have thought it was just an average  race as far as excitement went. Because the 2nd best horse in the field was clearly troubled by something and was never  going to place, and the 3rd best was wiped out at the start,it robbed the race as a spectacle.  In my opinion Heaven Rocks is the horse that has  the x factor to excite,his amazing speed would have got the big crowd buzzing, shame he looked well below his best from the start.  An opportunity  missed to give the one day a year race goer something to talk about, irrespective of whether he would have made a race of it with Lazarus.

Personally I thought the Dunn trained trotter that won was the one who created a bit of excitement on the day. For those in attendance by far the majority would not know the relevant class of the horses running in that race,nor do I believe would they really care ,what they would like to witness would be performances out of the ordinary,and on the day I personally thought that was the one that shone brightest. Lets hope a lot of them stuck around to watch that run.

I enjoyed seeing two young trainers Tom Bagrie (BD Khoasan) and Mitchell Kerr (The Dorcester) win races on Cup day, although I was confused with Matt Anderson wearing the McGrath colours. :o It's good to see two up and coming trainers have success on a day like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, what a post said:

Personally I thought the Dunn trained trotter that won was the one who created a bit of excitement on the day.

Yes a great training feat by R Dunn. I had backed it a couple of times in June including the Jewels but couldnt trot properly to save itself. Had ability but obviously a few problems To get it to win on Cup Day after 5 months off was outstanding. Well supported so some very happy punters. Could be very good if it stays sound and more importantly focused. Time will be its best friend. I see owned by a name that was very well know in trotting ranks a few decades ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, WhoKnows said:

Yes you were right, that makes it even worse for Williams, no wonder he doesn't get as many drives as he used to, Johnny Cox does a far better job on the odd Purdon horse he gets a drive on.

Sacked from Dream About Me. Real driver on board today but a shame about its draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody cryin shame The Dream had her chances extinguished, she is big strong tough mare saw her race Auck Cup, and I believe (she's so free going makes the job look easy), would have pushed em all includin Lazzie, shes dogged and can finish a race like a 434 chevy :D not sure why they didn't take her to Inters........

 

Cheers Iraklis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Iraklis said:

Bloody cryin shame The Dream had her chances extinguished, she is big strong tough mare saw her race Auck Cup, and I believe (she's so free going makes the job look easy), would have pushed em all includin Lazzie, shes dogged and can finish a race like a 434 chevy :D not sure why they didn't take her to Inters........

 

Cheers Iraklis

They didn't take her simply because she had no hope of beating Lazarus or Lennytheshark, and where ever they aren't is bound to be a softer target.

It's one they did take to Perth that has me baffled - Have Faith In Me.

Can't see that Gloucester Park will suit him at all. You need to be well mannered and good gaited to get around the track for starters - neither of which describes him.

Mark Purdon will have taken his training "geniusness" to a whole new level if he can get Have Faith In Me around Gloucester Park fast enough to mix it with the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JackSprat said:

They didn't take her simply because she had no hope of beating Lazarus or Lennytheshark, and where ever they aren't is bound to be a softer target.

It's one they did take to Perth that has me baffled - Have Faith In Me.

Can't see that Gloucester Park will suit him at all. You need to be well mannered and good gaited to get around the track for starters - neither of which describes him.

Mark Purdon will have taken his training "geniusness" to a whole new level if he can get Have Faith In Me around Gloucester Park fast enough to mix it with the best!

Maybe he doesn’t plan on bringing him back to NZ with the stock he has coming through into the open class ranks in Ultimate Machete, Vincent etc ? A very talented horse when he is right but he is no Lazarus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey Jack S, provided they get The Faith's hock soreness sorted I cant see why he can't show some of his former wow :D at the moment maybe The Dream aint quite up to herself but there was nothin wrong with the way she ran home last fri, hell, she made up a ton of ground from where she was to finish 4th come on now.......

 

Cheers Iraklis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×