RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jeepers

RTR Sale Selections.

With the RTR sale nearly upon us what are Cafers predictions on what is likely to be the best value purchase for future racing ability.

I see in the latest Informant Special many prep stables have their special selections but it would seem they may be selecting purely based on flavor of the month.

Are times the best way to select a horse as in Aust.trainers placed a fair amount of emphasis on fast times.

I see the fastest three times are lots 239,243 and 7. Lot 239 has been withdrawn and only lot 7 is closely related to a stakes winner.Could this be the one to buy?

2 hours ago, jeepers said:

It seems a horse still has to have speed,sprinters and stayers alike. The good ones have to be able to run 600 between 33 and 34 secs.

True, if they can't run the times to be competitive, your wasting your time taking them to the races, and there's plenty that look like they shouldn't be there.Sometimes age and maturity can make a difference.

I agree Shad, talented horses are no different to talented athletic children,they show ability from day one. Of course there may be exceptions because of maturity but in general trainers know the good ones as soon as they run them along hence times seem to be important, to my mind.

There are def exceptions. Still remember the Moroney's telling the story about how Dave O'Sullivan thought this grey filly was the slowest thing in the stable when young. She (Horlicks) turned out to be pretty handy. And Dave O was one of the best in the game eh.

Lots of good judges let Gingernuts go for what $45k a couple of years ago. I reckon its a pretty tough game to pick future stars!

10 hours ago, Mattski said:

There are def exceptions. Still remember the Moroney's telling the story about how Dave O'Sullivan thought this grey filly was the slowest thing in the stable when young. She (Horlicks) turned out to be pretty handy. And Dave O was one of the best in the game eh.

Lots of good judges let Gingernuts go for what $45k a couple of years ago. I reckon its a pretty tough game to pick future stars!

Gingernuts half brother racing in the south island, won well its last start, rideitlikeyoustoleit.

12 hours ago, Shad said:

Gingernuts half brother racing in the south island, won well its last start, rideitlikeyoustoleit.

Half sister,

originally purchased for $100 in 2012 at the National Mixed Sales  and then on-sold for $4,500 in 2014 at the South Island Sales,

Owners now have a 4 time (likely more to come) winning half sister to Gingernuts to breed from or sell on for a tidy profit and also have already earnt $50k in stakes.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Bargains are there, horses for everyone, luck can pay a big part.

I'e been lucky a couple of times, 5k for Elusive Tracy who won 9 races and had a group2 2nd and other black type placings. Curry Up I think was $2500 only won 1 but got black type with her.  

Got nothing in work at the moment so will sneak up and try and find another one no one wants. 

2 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

I'e been lucky a couple of times, 5k for Elusive Tracy who won 9 races and had a group2 2nd and other black type placings. Curry Up I think was $2500 only won 1 but got black type with her.  

Got nothing in work at the moment so will sneak up and try and find another one no one wants. 

I like your way of thinking, there is no shortage, plenty are pushed to the races as babies when not mentally or physically ready, then thrown aside when they don't preform.Good luck im sure you will find one.

I note Lot 2 is a filly then you have to go down to lot 59 to find another one and they are only dotted through the catalogue. Is this usual and is there little interest in fillies overall? After all, it's from your fillies that you breed good colts. Just wondered.

14 hours ago, Blue said:

I note Lot 2 is a filly then you have to go down to lot 59 to find another one and they are only dotted through the catalogue. Is this usual and is there little interest in fillies overall? After all, it's from your fillies that you breed good colts. Just wondered.

Blue, you're right. Fillies are the basis of your racing & stud book. But here in NZ, both have been trashed due to the trading/selling nature of the stakeholders. And the everyone whinges about the lacklustre racing environment. You reap what you sow!