RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Bloody Hell...

I sometimes think some of you people are a bit harsh criticising some of our Trackside presenters, but I have just watched my first reasonably full day of Trackside for several months and my god. Starting with everyone thinking Signify to beat Don Carlo was a great bet, onto some halfwit who thought it was the best 2,000 guineas field for ten years, when the top rated horse was coming off an $11,000 race win at Motukarara, but then to top everything off at least three or four of them wondered out loud whether Aspen Lass  might be a late entry for the NZ Cup, when final late entries had closed last Monday. 

These are well paid "professionals" not enthusiastic amateurs. I wonder if they get taken aside on the Monday and have their errors pointed out to them.

47 minutes ago, Contentious said:

who above them would know that they were errors?

Correct - Bernard Saundry (BS) and John Allen certanly wouldn't know.

The cringe worthy Rodders and Sweens say nothing when one of their riders puts in a shocker. It's so obvious after the fact, again those above are clueless. Surely this is a conflict of interest that needs to go like Hong Kong, on air presenters cannot be jockey managers. NZRB and NZTR just don't see the obvious.

What a way to grow a business.

Just a total embarassment ....too many conflicts of interest...but its a small gene puddle, so no one involved is too far outside the 2 degrees of separation...and its sooo boring! I will say Steve Davis shows a bit of life...talks a lot but if you don't take him too seriously, (I don't think he takes himself too seriously either) he's passable....

1 hour ago, Diver Dan said:

Correct - Bernard Saundry (BS) and John Allen certanly wouldn't know.

The cringe worthy Rodders and Sweens say nothing when one of their riders puts in a shocker. It's so obvious after the fact, again those above are clueless. Surely this is a conflict of interest that needs to go like Hong Kong, on air presenters cannot be jockey managers. NZRB and NZTR just don't see the obvious.

What a way to grow a business.

Racing Club Manager’s like Brent Wall shouldn’t be a Jockey Manager either. It’s a conflict of interest. 

Come on big Al, sort it out. 

3 hours ago, La Zip said:

Just a total embarassment ....too many conflicts of interest...but its a small gene puddle, so no one involved is too far outside the 2 degrees of separation...and its sooo boring! I will say Steve Davis shows a bit of life...talks a lot but if you don't take him too seriously, (I don't think he takes himself too seriously either) he's passable....

I like Steve myself. He doesn't pretend to be something he isn't. The others try to come across as experts when they have very little credibility. At best they are mostly continuity presenters rather than expert commentators.

9 hours ago, Scotch Thistle said:

Mark McNamara and English Emily did their jobs well, and the camera crew.  The rest should be on the minimum adult wage.

Mark is the best racecaller here in NZ....professional, not so big on self-opinion...and Emily's got a clue or 2 .....but the others?

33 minutes ago, Money$hot said:

Here's an idea. Everyone who has contributed to this thread and rubbished the presenters should put their name forward to Trackside. You all sound like the kind of experts the industry is crying out for.

That's an incredibly silly thing to say. I may think the Prime minister's not doing a great job, but that doesn't mean I have to stand for Parliament myself just so I can express an opinion.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

That's an incredibly silly thing to say. I may think the Prime minister's not doing a great job, but that doesn't mean I have to stand for Parliament myself just so I can express an opinion.

With a moniker like yours I would expect nothing less than total negativity.

38 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

I don’t really care about any of the presenters, they’re mostly just battlers like the rest of us, and besides, they’re arguably there to entertain and inform punters ( as distinct from the racing community ).and they seem to be doing an ok job of that.

On that basis if you don’t like a particular individual just hit the mute button.

What I would be curious to know though is this, how does Andy Kidd become “head of media ?” To the best of my knowledge he has no history in the media industry so that’s a head scratcher for me.

Secondarily, how can Michelle Pickles be the “head of talent” . She didn’t seem to be terribly well thought of as a journalist at TV3, I’d have her rated as a “journeyman” journalist at best, yet she gets head hunted and appointed as head of Trackside talent.

Now I could be missing something here because obviously I’ve never worked with those two, but on the face of it they look to be both bizarre and entirely inappropriate appointments.

Any thoughts ?

Sadly one might well ask about many appointments in NZ racing which have not had positive results. Starting with those on racing boards and CEO's of the respective codes.

4 hours ago, Money$hot said:

Here's an idea. Everyone who has contributed to this thread and rubbished the presenters should put their name forward to Trackside. You all sound like the kind of experts the industry is crying out for.

Excellent response, i call your idea the Ostrich approach cos we all now what they do!!

Prime TV had 30 minutes coverage of the 2,000 Guineas, of which probably 75% showed NO horses. When the horses appeared, captions would have been helpful. Does the Head Of Whateverfancytitlejustifiesmysalary think that talking heads are more attractive or interesting to casual viewers? Horse are quite attractive animals and possibly appeal more to people than Him, Her or The Other Bloke. After the race, it was obvious that the woman presenter had been told to stretch to fill the time, but had nothing interesting to say or show. Would this persuade somebody to invest in paying for Trackside TV? Not bloody likely!

Saw TV advertisements for the TAB over recent weeks, promoting the Melbourne Cup. Didn't mention that there was free coverage on Prime but that you wold have to buy Sky if you were to get serious.

7 hours ago, poundforpound said:

I don’t really care about any of the presenters, they’re mostly just battlers like the rest of us, and besides, they’re arguably there to entertain and inform punters ( as distinct from the racing community ).and they seem to be doing an ok job of that.

On that basis if you don’t like a particular individual just hit the mute button.

What I would be curious to know though is this, how does Andy Kidd become “head of media ?” To the best of my knowledge he has no history in the media industry so that’s a head scratcher for me.

Secondarily, how can Michelle Pickles be the “head of talent” . She didn’t seem to be terribly well thought of as a journalist at TV3, I’d have her rated as a “journeyman” journalist at best, yet she gets head hunted and appointed as head of Trackside talent.

Now I could be missing something here because obviously I’ve never worked with those two, but on the face of it they look to be both bizarre and entirely inappropriate appointments.

Any thoughts ?

With the odd exception, they do not come across as particularly knowledgeable or as entertaining as their Aussie counterparts. The increase in females is no doubt a Pickles initiative, if you can call people "reading out the bloody obvious" an initiative.

Pickles was hired to be Media Personnel Manager from reporting on Sports at TV3, so a tenuous link at best. Kydd has a background in Insurance,  working for Waterhouse ( wagering ops ) and a year at Racing Victoria. Hardly a stellar CV you would think. I'd love to know what the job descriptions are for some of these roles as some of the match ups certainly appear questionable.

On 11/12/2017 at 10:27 AM, poundforpound said:

Is she moonlighting on TV3 again (no doubt for a fee) or has she got the boot from Trackside? Appearing on the AM Show at present , talking rubbish about Christmas gifting, America's Cup bases, and other dross. Nothing about her supposed core employment activities at Trackside.

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

Is she moonlighting on TV3 again (no doubt for a fee) or has she got the boot from Trackside? Appearing on the AM Show at present , talking rubbish about Christmas gifting, America's Cup bases, and other dross. Nothing about her supposed core employment activities at Trackside.

Doesn't stop Ken Rutherford or Trackside presenters being jockeys agents.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

What's the problem if they are ?

There's no conflict of interest there that I can see.

Not unless they are tipping ( term used loosely ) to punters....and leaving out the roughies their clients inevitably kick home.....:rolleyes: