RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Shad

Track records

21 minutes ago, Shad said:

Black horse called ernest by greek god, think helen preston trained him, i thought he was a looker. I think colfix won a kumara nuggets.

Correct re Colfix.  She ran stone cold motherless on the Wednesday in the Reefton sprint then came out three days later and won the Nuggets. Gary Blair rode her and the legendary Slim Gillman the Trainer. She was a cow of a horse but pretty smart. She would boot and bite at every opportunity.

Yes Ernest was smart as well and Helen Preston did train him.  There were quite a few good Greek God progeny. Most loved the mud and were tough - Ray Harris trained several of them and they would run four times on the old Coast circuit.  Te Pango Nui springs to mind and was Scotch Mist by him as well? Eros, Mr Richmond, Greek Magic, Binkie, Kowhai Glen, Gotta Go were others.

Keekorok also sired a very smart one called Peligro who Bill Kennedy trained.  He held the Reefton track record over 1400m for absolute years but was also very very competitive at Riccarton.  A better horse than history would suggest.  

Keekorok was jet black and so were a lot of his progeny.

Others he had at Morwenstow Fourkero Greek Prophet and Greek Magic.  None of them set the world alight 

There were some good stallions around the area in those and later days.  Ribotlight, Beaufort Sea, Palatable three good examples.

There was a very smart apprentice came out of Riccarton Stud where Ribotlight and Palatable stood in the 70's too. Can anyone guess?

3 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Correct re Colfix.  She ran stone cold motherless on the Wednesday in the Reefton sprint then came out three days later and won the Nuggets. Gary Blair rode her and the legendary Slim Gillman the Trainer. She was a cow of a horse but pretty smart. She would boot and bite at every opportunity.

Yes Ernest was smart as well and Helen Preston did train him.  There were quite a few good Greek God progeny. Most loved the mud and were tough - Ray Harris trained several of them and they would run four times on the old Coast circuit.  Te Pango Nui springs to mind and was Scotch Mist by him as well? Eros, Mr Richmond, Greek Magic, Binkie, Kowhai Glen, Gotta Go were others.

Keekorok also sired a very smart one called Peligro who Bill Kennedy trained.  He held the Reefton track record over 1400m for absolute years but was also very very competitive at Riccarton.  A better horse than history would suggest.  

Keekorok was jet black and so were a lot of his progeny.

Others he had at Morwenstow Fourkero Greek Prophet and Greek Magic.  None of them set the world alight 

There were some good stallions around the area in those and later days.  Ribotlight, Beaufort Sea, Palatable three good examples.

I think scotch mist was by balios and brutus to, yes peligro was a very handy type, the kennedy's always had some nice horses, pericolini was a very good horse for them, and agree they were good stallions in there day.

1 hour ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Scotch Mist was by Balios sorry.  He and Brutus won the double at Greymouth one November then went up and won the Governor Generals Cup and Concorde at Avondale when they were good horses races.  Ray Harris trained both.

I remember Scotch Mist...was a favourite of mine as a kid. Brutus was a good galloper too...my grandfathers mare ran third to him in the Governor Generals Cup. Firpo I think ran 2nd?

Just now, Baz (NZ) said:

I remember Scotch Mist...was a favourite of mine as a kid. Brutus was a good galloper too...my grandfathers mare ran third to him in the Governor Generals Cup. Firpo I think ran 2nd?

Yes that's right Firpo was up there at that time.  Did Tito Poblete ride him?  Not sure.  Firpo was trained by Tom Lalor out of Omoto.  I think he was by a horse called Pep and was named after a great boxer.  At the time there probably would have been 50 plus horses in work on the West Coast - now there would be 5 max.  Mind you in those days there were 10 meetings a year over here - now four(and I suspect that there will be even less in the near future.

1 hour ago, Shad said:

I think scotch mist was by balios and brutus to, yes peligro was a very handy type, the kennedy's always had some nice horses, pericolini was a very good horse for them, and agree they were good stallions in there day.

The Kennedys also had Parratonere(Sedgewick) and Conbrio(Indian Order) who ran second and third in the Stewards one year.  Plus for a while a very smart horse called Senator Kennedy(Senator Jack).  He was a pretty good sort but got injured at Riccarton one day and was not the same again.

22 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Yes that's right Firpo was up there at that time.  Did Tito Poblete ride him?  Not sure.  Firpo was trained by Tom Lalor out of Omoto.  I think he was by a horse called Pep and was named after a great boxer.  At the time there probably would have been 50 plus horses in work on the West Coast - now there would be 5 max.  Mind you in those days there were 10 meetings a year over here - now four(and I suspect that there will be even less in the near future.

Correct Firpo was by Peps. Alberto Poblete used to ride him but didn't that particular day. Gary Blair took the mount who ironically rode Brutus into 3rd place 3 days earlier in the Avondale Cup. Geez they weren't scared to race them in those days were they Tom....tough!

While I'm tripping down memory lane....

The very first horse I backed 1 x 1 ew (and well under age) was called Miles Better which duly won!....... I was hooked! (Never forgot that win or the horse)

Loved London Trader back then too!

Oh the good decades of racing 1970's & 80's

7 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

There was a very smart apprentice came out of Riccarton Stud where Ribotlight and Palatable stood in the 70's too. Can anyone guess?

Kevin Morton 

5 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

The Kennedys also had Parratonere(Sedgewick) and Conbrio(Indian Order) who ran second and third in the Stewards one year.  Plus for a while a very smart horse called Senator Kennedy(Senator Jack).  He was a pretty good sort but got injured at Riccarton one day and was not the same again.

Paratonnerre was out of a mare called chuckles, must have been a few years before i got the bug, but had been told by an old friend he was a smart horse, and he also mentioned senator kennedy, firpo was out of a mare called cherie susie, and eros finished his racing days as clerk of the course horse at westport. Looking at a greymouth race book from 78 they had the d p wilson memorial cup, looks like it was won by red gae, maybe, the print a bit hard to understand, the good old days, so many memories.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Paratonnerre was out of a mare called chuckles, must have been a few years before i got the bug, but had been told by an old friend he was a smart horse, and he also mentioned senator kennedy, firpo was out of a mare called cherie susie, and eros finished his racing days as clerk of the course horse at westport. Looking at a greymouth race book from 78 they had the d p wilson memorial cup, looks like it was won by red gae, maybe, the print a bit hard to understand, the good old days, so many memories.

There were quite a few DP Wilson Memorials around the South Island back then Shad. Chuckles was the dam of Peligro as well. Red Gae was a Mellay mare trained by Barry Taggart and owned by Mr Phil(?) Bayly who owned a lot of good ones including Blue Denim.

10 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

That would have been Midget jnr - coming out very rapidly after being caught in the girls rooms ;)