RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fartoomuch

Trackside Ozzie Coverage

Is it just me that's pissed off every year by the so called NZ experts waffle aimlessly about Melbourne cup fields when the real experts i.e Channel 7 are providing an amazing coverage of all the races. Its just plain nonsense to cross over to them with a few minutes to racetime  when they could use at least one channel to let Channel 7 do the whole preview. A bonus would be not having to listen to Rodley Sweeny etc waffle on about things they know very little about.

Completely agree...there was one point yesterday where Channel 7 were doing their spiel with Francesca Cumani and co (highly informative and interesting even for non punters) and they cut back to the English bird in the studio and all she did was read out the tote prices.... 

The Channel 7 coverage as well as the actual on track product out of Aussie just shows how far behind we are. Insurmountable I would say 

Although, the one thing that annoys me about the Aussie coverage is their camera work. You find your horse in the running and then they'll switch to an entirely different angle and you're trying to find it again - why not have the split screen with a static full field shot above and the dynamic entertaining worms-eye, birds-eye, jockey-cam below?

31 minutes ago, premixer said:

check out racing.com for there live coverage if you want an alternative on the big Melbourne days. Quite a good channel, get all the buildup and aftermath without jumping to some bush directly after.

Have seen that coverage and as you say its quite good. My point to the NZTAB is that if they want us to bet on offshore product then why not give us the best information/coverage available. I am sure they will have had to pay Channel 7something for the small amount of coverage we saw so why not treat the customer to the best information around.

8 minutes ago, premixer said:

Didn't they use to also show it live on network TV here?   Could have sworn you used to be able to watch it on TV3, hour long show with 30mins either side showing the buildup and aftermath.

Was on prime from 4.30 yesterday. Switched over as soon as it come on, much more colorful to watch than a studio in NZ. 

55 minutes ago, MrBigStuff said:

We have to remember ch7 run ad breaks just before each race so thats why someone in the stuido here talks over it while they are showing the ad break in Aussie 

I get that MBS but why not let Trackside do the same to help defray costs for Ch 7  feed

8 hours ago, Catalano said:

Although, the one thing that annoys me about the Aussie coverage is their camera work. You find your horse in the running and then they'll switch to an entirely different angle and you're trying to find it again - why not have the split screen with a static full field shot above and the dynamic entertaining worms-eye, birds-eye, jockey-cam below?

How right you are ! The camera angles

from Flemington, at this Spring Carnival are probably "cut to"

to give "ambiance and theatre ".The sound track changes too. 
Awful.
Try watching a horse like Humidor in the original vision and I bet you can not find him.

Steve Davis, on his afternoon show this afternoon,Wednesday , had a full replay,

with the "normal" Flemington coverage.

It was brilliant.

I think the Cup week coverage plus the whole Spring Carnival event built by the industry and government shows the gulf between Australian and New Zealand.  It's such a shame that the legacy built here generations ago by astute, top notch horsemen, has drifted so far into oblivion that it will never recover.  I do understand the world has changed but NZ did not keep up - the same old familiar, head in the sand, we know best attitude has left the NZ industry (to be fair, it's just not racing, it's attitude across the broad spectrum of NZ society) in a state of extreme vulnerability,  and some here think that one man can fix all of this....it's the culture that needs the boot...