RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

Should they run the Melbourne Cup in Dublin?

It used to be the race which no race fan missed but I've now reached the stage where I won't even try to watch the race live.

We used to have a field of twenty plus Australian and New Zealand stayers..all of which we knew and could make some sensible betting decisions.The global uniqueness of such a big race being a handicap added to the drama of local trainers  trying to sneak a lightweight into the field e.g Brew

Nowadays we're faced with a field of unknown quantities;

Seven haven't started in Australia...three have started once.Most of them are either NH owned or have been purchased from Europe by wealthy Australians like Lloyd Williams

ORIGIN OF RUNNERS

9-Ireland

6-Great Britain

3-Australia

3-New Zealand

2-France

1-Germany

For me it's become quite hard to care anymore.Am I alone in this?

Boris sayed run it anywhere in Europe but not bleak city, n0?

and what is he screem ing  about pacemakers for, is his tickers dodgy or is it he knows which horse is a sacrificial lamb this year:blink:

how can pearl s brother let this happen, n0?

its more obvious than Mariah s assets :blink:

the race that stops 2 nations is now a bad joke.

1 hour ago, Bruce M said:

It used to be the race which no race fan missed but I've now reached the stage where I won't even try to watch the race live.

We used to have a field of twenty plus Australian and New Zealand stayers..all of which we knew and could make some sensible betting decisions.The global uniqueness of such a big race being a handicap added to the drama of local trainers  trying to sneak a lightweight into the field e.g Brew

Seven haven't started in Australia...three have started once.Most of them are either NH owned or have been purchased from Europe by wealthy Australians like Lloyd Williams

ORIGIN OF RUNNERS

9-Ireland

6-Great Britain

3-Australia

3-New Zealand

2-France

1-Germany

Like many in NZ Racing, you want to stay in the past. Get rid of your car and go back to a horse and jig! :) 

Furthermore, I think you'll find that most of the field of 24 are owned by Aust/NZ interests. What's the difference of buying a horse from NZ, Germany, France or UK? No different. Next thing you'll be mourning the fact that NZ Breeders time after time, sell their horses to Aussies who then win Derbies and cups with them. Keep breeding and selling them because if you don't, the buyers will source from Europe. The race is even better than ever and they have achieved their goal of making it an International race. Multi millions will watch the race from all over the world, but you Brucie, can tune in to the Wherever Cup in NZ and have your fix. I understand what you're saying but really, that's like living in the past - like NZRB.

Its an international race now, and you can't turn it back to a regional slug-fest (although I do miss that!). 

However, given our historical contribution to the race, why do we not have at least one race that guarantees our best stayer a run?

How about the Flemington Race Commentator Matt Hill. I believe He's got a share in 7 runners ! How is he going to be if 3 or more of his are fighting out the finish with 50m to go? I hope it's his share in Wall of Fire that wins!! :) 

7 minutes ago, Trump said:

How about the Flemington Race Commentator Matt Hill. I believe He's got a share in 7 runners ! How is he going to be if 3 or more of his are fighting out the finish with 50m to go? I hope it's his share in Wall of Fire that wins!! :) 

A few of them on TW are picking it Trumpy. There are a lot of unknowns this year which doesn't help punters much. From all accounts Max Dynamite has been working enormously and might be the smokey.....;)

57 minutes ago, Trump said:

Furthermore, I think you'll find that most of the field of 24 are owned by Aust/NZ interests. What's the difference of buying a horse from NZ, Germany, France or UK? No different. Next thing you'll be mourning the fact that NZ Breeders time after time, sell their horses to Aussies who then win Derbies and cups with them. Keep breeding and selling them because if you don't, the buyers will source from Europe. The race is even better than ever and they have achieved their goal of making it an International race. Multi millions will watch the race from all over the world, but you Brucie, can tune in to the Wherever Cup in NZ and have your fix. I understand what you're saying but really, that's like living in the past - like NZRB.

I've no problem with the internationalisation of the race from a spectacle point of view.

I enjoy the Arc,Breeders Cup Day and the big Dubai races.

Although I'm primarily a punter I have no desire to bet on those races. The Melbourne Cup has for me turned into the same sort of non-betting event as a field of unraced maidens...so many unknown quantities My non-racing workmates are already asking for tips and it destroys my image a bit to say I have no idea about half the field :o

I'm not normally a good old days sort of guy but I do miss the days when the Melbourne Cup mattered to NZ racing people.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

borises friend sayedmost of the field is owned by the elton jon lookalike n0?

Bruce M has a point Trumpy. 95% (probably more) of NZrs have no idea of the form for the Cup these days. 

The qualifying aspect has to be looked at seriously as it is far too easy for these Northern Hemisphere gallopers to qualify. Having two and three win NH horses winning or placing in four and five horse fields is a joke. These are not the top NH horses coming down by any means either.  

For example how do horses like Bondi Beach, Wicklow Brave and US Army Ranger get in so easily. 

Bondi Beach came from the NH and started in the Cup in 2015 finishing 16th and  last year finishing 13th. In two starts since he has finished 9th of 10 and 11 of 13. Never placed in four starts at Flemington and unplaced in two starts at the distance.

Wicklow Brave 3rd last year but in 8 subsequent starts only managed to win a hurdle race.

US Army Ranger won only his first two starts and finished 2nd in an Epsom Derby but the now 5yo has failed to win a race in nine starts since. Finished last of six at his last start.

I asked a keen racing person only late last week about what he thought of the internationals and he replied he couldn't tell me anything about them as he had no idea about them. I said "Snap" 

I am a bit like Bruce M. Used to love watching and betting in the Cup but I am quite indifferent about it now and couldn't care less whether to watch or have a bet now.  

If it still rocks your boat (mind you, don't you live in Melbourne?) fair enough but the water is still as here.  

Agree with you Ted. It is hard to fathom how some of these Euro horses get in, although their rating systems don't help.

The race is the Melbourne Cup. That is Melbourne, Australia. The history is there, and that is where it belongs. If you want to win it, come down and have a go. Could you imagine the French bringing the Arc here, or the Japs the Tenno Sho...?? Whether we like it or not, the race has become an International one, and looking at the field this year, it would be pretty sad without the overseas contingent. A shame no Japanese horses have made the trip, the quality there is much superior IMO.

It is still a great spectacle, with interest from all over. The betting figures will be huge.

I still try and watch it, but it’s gone from compulsive viewing to only if it doesn’t interfere with too much else. Can’t remember the last time I had a bet in the race, certainly not more than a $5 passing interest on something at long odds. It’s nice to have some clue when making ones selection(s), but it’s pretty difficult as a casual fan when half of the field have never even raced on Oz, and generally only seem to race 2-3 times per year, full stop, in many cases. 

6 hours ago, Bruce M said:

ORIGIN OF RUNNERS

9-Ireland

6-Great Britain

3-Australia

3-New Zealand

2-France

1-Germany

Couldn't agree more. When I returned to NZ every year I had a booze up on Cup day. Big mob turned up and an hour or so before race we adjourned to the local Cossie club. Best day of my year. 

Now don't give much of a toss. Prob work most the day. The romance is missing. No more Snowys just billionaire oil Sheiks lucky to be in their twentys. Yes Trumpet living in the 70s 80s and most agreeable with it. 

Plus if you actually attend the crowd is full of pissed youngsters including 16 year old birds. Usually one bottle of bubbly on board before the second. 

18 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Couldn't agree more. When I returned to NZ every year I had a booze up on Cup day. Big mob turned up and an hour or so before race we adjourned to the local Cossie club. Best day of my year. 

Now don't give much of a toss. Prob work most the day. The romance is missing. No more Snowys just billionaire oil Sheiks lucky to be in their twentys. Yes Trumpet living in the 70s 80s and most agreeable with it. 

Plus if you actually attend the crowd is full of pissed youngsters including 16 year old birds. Usually one bottle of bubbly on board before the second. 

id say the kiwis are jealous its turned into an international day which wiil be viewed by millions oh if the auckland cup could get 10 people to watch                                            greatest event ever melb cup

24 minutes ago, gary1 said:

id say the kiwis are jealous its turned into an international day which wiil be viewed by millions oh if the auckland cup could get 10 people to watch                                            greatest event ever melb cup

Not jealous, just disinterested due to lack of any connection. 

54 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

really you would complain about anything everyone carries on about security at your local races now your saying 16 year olds are getting pissed arent they the next generation of race people just for the record ive been to a lot of melb cups but i have yet to see 16 year old girls pissed

Gaz you must have been hiding in a dark room. Talking to two of them. Then two hours later I saw one of them and she had lost her friend and was blind. 

Maybe they were the only ones in history . Will you be going this year. I'm sure you will spot s few now you've been alerted. 

1 hour ago, gary1 said:

Used to be

Top end of town event now. 

7 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Used to be

Top end of town event now. 

9 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

Gaz you must have been hiding in a dark room. Talking to two of them. Then two hours later I saw one of them and she had lost her friend and was blind. 

Maybe they were the only ones in history . Will you be going this year. I'm sure you will spot s few now you've been alerted. 

nope not going this year but i wonder what the average age will be  its all bout encouraging younger people to attend

3 minutes ago, gary1 said:

nope not going this year but i wonder what the average age will be  its all bout encouraging younger people to attend

12 minutes ago, Memphis2 said:

you should have as a responsible kiwi said this is not ellerslie refrain from drinking

I also lost interest in The Melbourne Cup a few years back for all the reasons mentioned here. It might be raced in Melbourne but it's lost so much of its appeal when you can't line up form and have no connection to a large majority of the horses. I will listen to it on the way home from work but won't even bother watching. My only interest is to see how our Kiwi jockeys go.