RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Thejanitor

GENTLEMAN SIR TO JOIN TIM BUTT

Gentleman Sir to join Tim Butt

01 November 2017

NZ HARNESS NEWS

A huge deal is in the works that will see one of the country’s most promising trotters change stables.

Gentleman Sir, a winner off 45 metres in Palmerston North this afternoon, is set to join the stable of Sydney-based Kiwi trainer Tim Butt.

Butt is best known as the man who prepared millionaire trotters Lyell Creek, Take A Moment and Vulcan, as well as a swag of Group 1-winning pacers.

Gentleman Sir announced himself as a top talent when running second behind Wilma’s Mate at the Ashburton Harness Jewels in June – just his 11th start.

His Kumeu owner and trainer Lew Driver turned down a big offer not long after that but this latest one was too big to refuse.

“Tim has made an offer and is in the process of putting together a syndicate to buy the horse,” said Driver on Monday.

“It’s not completed at this point in time, so it is still in the lap of the gods I guess.

“But I have agreed to sell him.”

Driver made the curious decision to take Gentleman Sir to Palmerston North to race today, working on the theory that a deal is never done until the money is in the bank.

“I could have raced at Auckland this week, but I felt a trip away would be more beneficial for him in his development.”

Butt was adamant the deal was done and he would soon be taking over the training of the son of Love You.

“We’ve agreed to buy him; he’s been vetted and passed with flying colours and I’m in the process of pulling together the money at the moment.

“There is one share left in him but it’s a formality.”

Butt said he had to pay a premium to pry the horse away from Driver, but he is confident the horse has what it takes to go right to the top.

“Being by Love You is a big attraction as well; he’s really kicking goals as a sire at the moment.”

Cantabrian Butt made the permanent to Sydney last month, taking with him classy pacers Field Marshal and Let It Ride, who are both making splashes across the ditch.

Will this horse be a good buy for Tim Butt? Most of Butt's high priced buys in recent years have been flops. Will Gentleman Sir change that?