RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

ellerslie

went yesterday with a couple of mates. for the public  food rubbish -- dry hamburger bun meat slopped on top  about 7 or 8 bucks . dry pies overpriced food caravan MINI coke can   $3.50. must cost them no more than 50 cents. family of 5 have to mortgage their house for lunch.

go to Auckland trots- great food great selection.

except for carnivals and events no one goes- shoot a gun in the public area- seems like lthey have given up on the public. it was whips n spurs but I slightly exceeded the age limit

one of the worlds great race courses- if it was  me   ramp up the prices in peak- the rest of time slash them and try and get the public back.its not like they make much money on food and drink in the public area coz they sell bugger all. probably save them money  if they gave it away.

they market the big days well but the rest of time not. if I had gone to ellerslie yesterday for the first time I would never go back. why would you

not their fault but time between races is torment.okay yesterday with Melbourne rest of time and in winter naaaah.

Yep stopped going a couple of years back. A group of us went to spend up large and walk out after they tried to charge 20 bucks a jug. At least pickpockets do it behind your back, these clowns try to pass it off as progress and slap you in the face with it while trying to fleece every last dollar out of you

I was on track Saturday and thought the atmosphere was fantastic. I was in the bar on the ground floor ( Winning Post I believe) and it was packed throughout with a great mix of punters and casual observers alike, all having a bloody good time I might add. I dont think the bar prices in there are over the top - 5 Steiny Pures for less than $40 is pretty reasonable in my opinion.

Good work Ellerslie, always enjoyable 

16 hours ago, tim vince said:

went yesterday with a couple of mates. for the public  food rubbish -- dry hamburger bun meat slopped on top  about 7 or 8 bucks . dry pies overpriced food caravan MINI coke can   $3.50. must cost them no more than 50 cents. family of 5 have to mortgage their house for lunch.

go to Auckland trots- great food great selection.

except for carnivals and events no one goes- shoot a gun in the public area- seems like lthey have given up on the public. it was whips n spurs but I slightly exceeded the age limit

one of the worlds great race courses- if it was  me   ramp up the prices in peak- the rest of time slash them and try and get the public back.its not like they make much money on food and drink in the public area coz they sell bugger all. probably save them money  if they gave it away.

they market the big days well but the rest of time not. if I had gone to ellerslie yesterday for the first time I would never go back. why would you

not their fault but time between races is torment.okay yesterday with Melbourne rest of time and in winter naaaah.

Same old, same old Tim. Why do they never learn ? :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

I went to Alexandra Park on Friday evening. The food and overall facilities were first class and makes me look forward to returning. Although I guess there's a difference between catering to an afternoon and evening crowd.

Good to hear Peter. We changed the whole catering system to inhouse years ago to have more control over quality and quantity. Using outside caterers was fraught with danger...could be great one week, bloody awful the next. Sponsors tend to prefer the former....;)

It's ironic that back in the 70's and 80's when "entertainment " options on a Saturday were so much more limited we were almost spoilt with options on course and the quality of the eating and drinking facilities at Ellerslie anyway were amazing by todays standards.

Percolated coffee , sandwiches, cakes, comfortable seating, good bars as well even though people could bring their own.

This type of post has been made before and nobody listens or acts on it............. so people are voting with their feet.

I used to go every meeting with friends but have not been for 8 years and that was when I hosted a corporate type event on Derby day.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:30 PM, chevy86 said:

And no doubt 30 security goons for the 20 patrons.

Couple of years back they were charging $8 a heinie said  to the  girl serving I could buy a dozen for $22 . Her reply was thats what they charge in town at a nightclub my reply well this place ain't ! 

2 hours ago, ivanthegreat said:

It's ironic that back in the 70's and 80's when "entertainment " options on a Saturday were so much more limited we were almost spoilt with options on course and the quality of the eating and drinking facilities at Ellerslie anyway were amazing by todays standards.

Percolated coffee , sandwiches, cakes, comfortable seating, good bars as well even though people could bring their own.

This type of post has been made before and nobody listens or acts on it............. so people are voting with their feet.

I used to go every meeting with friends but have not been for 8 years and that was when I hosted a corporate type event on Derby day.

And Club staff manning main doors to stands without a single fluoro jerkin loitering at bars, doors and behind every tree. Riccarton even worse and hence I will never go back there after last year's incessant "screening" as if I was a crim or ISIS member.

The security does seem a bit over the top particularly when the crowd in public area and members.......Whips N Spurs excepted .....quite small.

Tims problem was he bought Race 2 chips after race 6.

Ellerslie actually has extremely good public facilities and they are trying to improve food choices but what does the racing crowd want mid-afternoon at an event where racing is the main intention not dining.

I bought a decent coffee on Saturday that was very poorly made and I guess having casual staff working on a slow day does throw up the odd disappointment.

But Ellerslie public facilities very good ,members better plus 5 x $10 food vouchers thrown in .

They are trying !

53 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

The security does seem a bit over the top particularly when the crowd in public area and members.......Whips N Spurs excepted .....quite small.

Tims problem was he bought Race 2 chips after race 6.

Ellerslie actually has extremely good public facilities and they are trying to improve food choices but what does the racing crowd want mid-afternoon at an event where racing is the main intention not dining.

I bought a decent coffee on Saturday that was very poorly made and I guess having casual staff working on a slow day does throw up the odd disappointment.

But Ellerslie public facilities very good ,members better plus 5 x $10 food vouchers thrown in .

They are trying !

True...when they persist in dishing up Circus Carnival food they are very trying TM.....! ;)

On 10/30/2017 at 8:14 PM, chevy86 said:

And Club staff manning main doors to stands without a single fluoro jerkin loitering at bars, doors and behind every tree. Riccarton even worse and hence I will never go back there after last year's incessant "screening" as if I was a crim or ISIS member.

I assume you are referring to Cup Day chevy ??

I would agree that has become a victim of its own success - and of course of the Police/Liquor Licensing/ Council 's determination to paint everyone as a criminal when as always 100 (?)  in a crowd of 20,000 are idiots.

Riccarton on most other days is a joy to be at and a fantastic place to watch races.

Funnily enough the boys were driving back from Kaikoura trots yesterday. We spent Sunday and Monday on course - no limits on what was brought in in cars/buses etc. Heaps of tents and people doing there own thing. Plenty of happy people - we didnt see a policeman of security guard (of the usual aggro type anyway) on course. No trouble. Saw one lady being assisted off course Monday worse for wear. Spoke to Police in pub on Sunday night and they said been quiet.... mmmmmm

Yep, Cup day Col. One at bottom of stairs going up to Members stand screened us, then one at the door not 8 steps up, then another at bottom of internal stairs. Plus several hanging around in bars and actually occupying seats. Most of them puny individuals so no physical intimidation but their mere presence bloody disrespectful.

Its not Riccarton's fault - they find it as frustrating as anyone but the powers that be (Police and Crown Public Health) insist on all this over the top harassment.  Ironically I would say the costs of security staff would gobble up the profit of their one truly big day of the year

44 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Its not Riccarton's fault - they find it as frustrating as anyone but the powers that be (Police and Crown Public Health) insist on all this over the top harassment.  Ironically I would say the costs of security staff would gobble up the profit of their one truly big day of the year

I disagree. I have been to their big day and all you get is teenagers drunk all over the place. They are still all getting served when they can hardly stand up. The bar downstairs is so over crowded and packed with people waiting for drinks that the staff are so busy they wouldnt even notice who they were serving. To see some teenagers leaving the course by 12.30 (as we were entering) totally drunk and unable to walk by themselves is not a good look for any racecourse. So over the top harassment I dont think so. The liquor laws are in place for a reason.

8 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Pot calling kettle ..... dementia or selective amnesia setting in is it ?

What about all those drug and alcohol fuelled parties with the cross dressers and trannies ?

But WE didn’t get arrested or thrown out, did WE?

how did you know that was me wearing a dress- bugger-  my chicken legs gave it away.   ellerslie is one of the great race courses-with diminishing  crowds hard to cater  I know that but it feeds on itself -poor food high prices and less come- a  trotting guy I know came on Saturday as asked we where the food was- I showed him and he said- is that it--

it aint  easy I know that but maybe try the cheaper option on smaller days- advertise it and see what happens.