RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

Balls on the line: Forbury

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

If Ray Reekie got a year then the writing is on the wall!

This bloke is a real gentleman,but that wont help much when it comes to dealing with last nights drive. On another note,i noticed Mr McNally was back to his normal high standards last night. 

3 minutes ago, what a post said:

This bloke is a real gentleman,but that wont help much when it comes to dealing with last nights drive.

I am sure he is. Admire his passion for the game and thought he got hung out to dry a bit at Ashburton.

However, that drive was the most concerning one I have just about ever seen. I was hoping to see gear failure or something like that in the report.

Maybe it was a combination of ordinary horse and ordinary driver gone bad.

28 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am sure he is. Admire his passion for the game and thought he got hung out to dry a bit at Ashburton.

However, that drive was the most concerning one I have just about ever seen. I was hoping to see gear failure or something like that in the report.

Maybe it was a combination of ordinary horse and ordinary driver gone bad.

Mr Lowe I am sure loves the harness industry and works race days oncourse at Ashburton.

Problem is that there are a lot of drivers that are pretty average at best, and drive for the fun of it!

They often drive pretty good horses but ruin their chances every start by their less than average drives.

Yes I acknowledge that they have the right to drive and that everyone hasn’t got the same ability!

Last nights drive was extremely confusing as I don’t think Mr Lowe knew whether to go forward or pull back to last, which he probably should have as the horse wasn’t going anywhere.

There should be more scrutiny of other people’s drives and Stipes comment accordingly, rather than counting whip hits!

reci

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Last nights drive was extremely confusing as I don’t think Mr Lowe knew whether to go forward or pull back to last, which he probably should have as the horse wasn’t going anywhere.

True but the sectionals of the race were not flash so there is no excuse there.

A review of his drives on this horse is not pleasant. He should give the driving of the horse to someone more experienced as he has done before. 

Just now, Shad said:

Should have paid way more than 11s.

I disagree with that Shad. Raphoe raced in much stronger fields (Pantastic, Especial, Playboy Prince) in the South of the Waitaki series without much going its way. The way it left the gate in its previous race at Forbury before it had its tire destroyed allayed my fears about the one draw. Amber Hoffman is very very competent and can always be relied on to have her horse up for it.

The only danger to it was Glenisthebettor who could have remained on its back. The melee at the first bend helped that issue.

The rest don't have much going for them.

Now, where is that bank....

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Hope you kept the love, Harewood.

Yes I did, thankyou Happy. Like you I thought it showed gate speed  the start before  when it got skittled so No. 1 was hopefully not going to be a problem. In a past life he would have broken on the first turn when there was a skirmish but now appears more settled and tractable with the new trainer. Will go on with it and probably pick up another at short notice. 

11 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I disagree with that Shad. Raphoe raced in much stronger fields (Pantastic, Especial, Playboy Prince) in the South of the Waitaki series without much going its way. The way it left the gate in its previous race at Forbury before it had its tire destroyed allayed my fears about the one draw. Amber Hoffman is very very competent and can always be relied on to have her horse up for it.

The only danger to it was Glenisthebettor who could have remained on its back. The melee at the first bend helped that issue.

The rest don't have much going for them.

Now, where is that bank....

Totally agree Happy.

11,s was overs with Blair on and drawn 1 in a very weak field.

Horse had been unruly for most of its life from when Paul Kerr trained it.

Had gone big races at Forbury from the unruly and Amber is a very good trainer!

Yes Glennisthebettor was the danger from 1the second line but the horse was not on the back of Raphoe and was chased up and galloped just prior to the other melee otherwise think would have been second, as it likes Forbury

55 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Yes Glennisthebettor was the danger from 1the second line but the horse was not on the back of Raphoe and was chased up and galloped just prior to the other melee otherwise think would have been second, as it likes Forbury

You are right Brodie.

Couldn't see clearly with all the dollar signs flashing in my eyes :D

Nice to see a horse a horse with issues persevered with for quite a long time and get some reward for all involved with it, and as Harewood said, maybe some more coming up.

That is what the racing game is all about for the majority of owners.

45 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

You are right Brodie.

Couldn't see clearly with all the dollar signs flashing in my eyes :D

Nice to see a horse a horse with issues persevered with for quite a long time and get some reward for all involved with it, and as Harewood said, maybe some more coming up.

That is what the racing game is all about for the majority of owners.

Raphoe has always been a nervous spooky type of horse that seems to have settled down with age and probably beach training.

Jason Teaz thought that 11s was unders for Raphoe when he was definitely a big winning chance in that field from 1.

Still money to be made on harness providing you do your homework.

The Raphoe fan club are out in force today!

Reality check - 40 odd starts and 2 1/2 years between wins, and you lot are singing it's praises?

The horse is literally a money pit, and if you backed it last night you should follow up with a lotto ticket tomorrow night!

If it wasn't for barrier one and the good fortune to have everything else getting taken out on the first bend, the losing streak would still be marching on.

Good luck waiting for it's next win!

55 minutes ago, JackSprat said:

The Raphoe fan club are out in force today!

Reality check - 40 odd starts and 2 1/2 years between wins, and you lot are singing it's praises?

The horse is literally a money pit, and if you backed it last night you should follow up with a lotto ticket tomorrow night!

If it wasn't for barrier one and the good fortune to have everything else getting taken out on the first bend, the losing streak would still be marching on.

Good luck waiting for it's next win!

I think you have missed the point entirely of the conversation.

Money pit? Applies to about 90% of horses. Good luck waiting for its next win? Applies to about 90% of horses too.

I backed it because it was placed in a race where I thought it could win. It was at Forbury, it had a good draw, its opposition was mediocre and it had a good driver. I would have still fancied it even if the field had not been skittled. How about Silver Dale? One win from 32 starts. How about the rest?

The best horse in a race doesn't always win, For me, it is about the horse that is best placed to win the race.

18 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think you have missed the point entirely of the conversation.

Money pit? Applies to about 90% of horses. Good luck waiting for its next win? Applies to about 90% of horses too.

I backed it because it was placed in a race where I thought it could win. It was at Forbury, it had a good draw, its opposition was mediocre and it had a good driver. I would have still fancied it even if the field had not been skittled. How about Silver Dale? One win from 32 starts. How about the rest?

The best horse in a race doesn't always win, For me, it is about the horse that is best placed to win the race.

Happy, Once again you are correct!

Not Raphoe fan club at all, but with Blair on, that is worth several lengths and it has gone BIG races from the unruly!

Seriously, if you couldn’t see that Raphoe was a big chance last night, then you are not that flash on doing your homework, and punting on harness racing will be very difficult for you to make money!

The Bookies had Silver Dale As favourite, which is hard to fathom really!

The same horse is almost always a "chance" in similarly weak fields, almost always has "next start" written all over him, but seldom gets all his rivals taken out to make any of it come true. All the stars may align again in another 2 1/2 years time!

After last night, Raphoe is officially the "Stephen Bradbury" of harness racing!

2 hours ago, JackSprat said:

The same horse is almost always a "chance" in similarly weak fields, almost always has "next start" written all over him, but seldom gets all his rivals taken out to make any of it come true. All the stars may align again in another 2 1/2 years time!

After last night, Raphoe is officially the "Stephen Bradbury" of harness racing!

Raphoe would have won I believe even without the melee, the only other to win would’ve been Gelenisthebettor if it trailed or 3 back but the way Raphoe won last night it was probably second!

13 hours ago, JackSprat said:

The Raphoe fan club are out in force today

Jack what are you waffling on about? 

I posted a few weeks ago that Raphoe was a show in at Forbury because it had ability, a different trainer AND more importantly a new driver, B Orange. It showed  gate speed but unfortunately lost a tyre off the rim and that was the end. Last Thurs it drew one with the same driver on. It had to be a reasonable show. Happy, Brodie and myself all commented on its win and followed up and all backed it. Hardly a fan club.

Im sorry you missed out and are peeved off.   

Harewood, what are you waffling on about?

The Raphoe that I'm familiar with has:

• done the majority of his racing at Forbury, in relatively weak fields
  • been with the same trainer for years - for at least it's last 40 starts
  • been driven by top class drivers, including B Orange throughtout his career
  • invariably puts in runs that suggest "back me next start"
  • needs every possible favour to win a race - which he got on Thursday

Punting doesn't interest me. The odd $10 interest bet over a beer at the local is more my style.

Good on you for backing a winner. Hopefully you don't have to wait another 2 1/2 years for Raphoe to win again!

Jack, seriously if you couldn’t see that Raptor had a very good winning chance the other night we can see why you are a pub punter.

As we have said the horse had gone big races from the unruly and this race with the best driver and drawn 1 in a weak weak field. 

So a basically small or non punter thinks he has credibility giving The Brodster a hard time because he comments about things to do with harness racing???

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Jack, seriously if you couldn’t see that Raptor had a very good winning chance the other night we can see why you are a pub punter.

As we have said the horse had gone big races from the unruly and this race with the best driver and drawn 1 in a weak weak field. 

So a basically small or non punter thinks he has credibility giving The Brodster a hard time because he comments about things to do with harness racing???

2005 12 B g(hack) Falcon Seelster - Rosesrredviletsrblue

1 hour ago, JackSprat said:

Good on you for backing a winner. Hopefully you don't have to wait another 2 1/2 years for Raphoe to win agai

Thanks for that. 

The point i was making is that those of us who backed it can hardly be called a "Fan Club" We noticed it the start before showing gate speed that it had not displayed earlier and had B Orange on it. We followed up and got the cash. Thats what you do when you spot an unlucky runner that is well placed next start, follow it. May not back it again untill another suitable race comes its way. Even your $10 bet over a beer would have bought you a few more jugs. Chees

B Orange had driven it only once before over 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The point is that if Raphoe even returned a dividend a fraction of the times he was "a good winning chance", he wouldn't be a battling 2, now 3 win horse in his 5th season of racing!. 

He's a horse that needs all the stars to align, and then some to win, and miraculously everything fell into place in true "Steven Bradbury style" on Thursday night. Even with the perfect draw and the countries in form driver on board, he was still going to get buried on the fence, and need luck to win. The severe interference on the first turn scattered all his opposition, and gifted him a forward position that he would otherwise not have had.

Lucks a fortune, and he made the most of it. I wouldn't count on it happening again any time soon.