RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
breeda

Hot New Stallion for the CD?

I'm A small time breeder in the CD and am very keen on the newest addition UNUSUAL SUSPECT at Letham Stud, what type of mares will suit this guy? Not many stallions around that have won $2 million on the track that were stakes performed from 2yo right through to 7yo.  Thought he was good value at $5k? Hes only just arrived but have been told hes getting lots of handy mares already.  thoughts or help anyone?  Thanks

"Hot" is right if you go by looks - on the photos I've seen anyway ...  very attractive horse.  Wonder if the Aurets will consider sport horse mares - as if he's true to his photos he could be a good option there esp over a warmblood or warmblood cross mare ....

Breeda - I am always impressed by durability and as you point out this fella sure had it.  Given I know lots of sires don't get the opportunity to show it (set for a few key black type races as 2-4 y/o then retired to stud; job done ..) - it must say something about an individual that they race on successfully till that age.  Phusically and mentally (temperament). And as an entire as well!

Interesting to compare with other $5,000 options around this year like Wrote, Complacent, Vespa etc ... 

I wonder what how his young progeny are looking so far?  And interesting to see he seems to have come from a stud which has a few stallions I recognised as having previously stood here in NZ!  

Would like to know more about the pedigree too - I'm pretty ignorant about US bloodlines and on a quick look couldn't find too much detail about the maternal line ..

Anyone?  

Plenty of familiarity to NZ breeders with Crested Wave, Imposing and Nureyev in the pedigree. He does look the type of stallion that time will be the friend of his stock , agree on his looks handsome indeed.

`morning Huey ... yes I see he is out of an NZ mare ... look forward to seeing his actual "page" as I couldn't find out too much using just the NZTR website ...  

PS: Dibbles I know! - but it's bloody expensive to transport to/from SI if you are in NI. And a daunting trip for in-foal mares or young foals especially. But I agree totally - the SI is very well served (no pun intended) by available sires currently and I'd have no trouble picking one if I was based down there .. Cheers, J

A few us with grey hairs will recognise the name Black Willow in his dam line. She raced from an Awapuni stable ( cannot remember the trainer.)

She was a top 2 yr old filly who won the Manawatu Sires Produce.

While Unusual Heat is from the USA the rest of his pedigree is largely European and so should match NZ mares quite well.

Hi guys thank you for all the positive feedback. We are very excited to stand a horse of this quality here in the CD. He has been very well received and we already have some very nice bookings including stakes winners and placegetters,  and some very well bred mares. We are encouraged by receiving bookings from well respected trainers and breeders. Jess - you are right he is a real looker and a very athletic animal. Huey - the familiarity to NZ breeders was another plus we saw when purchasing him too. Also the fact that he was a winner and four time stakes placed horse as a 2yo, a group 3 winner over 1200m as an early 3yo, then went on as an older horse to be a group 1 winner over a trip. His temperament is amazing.

Jess regarding the US bloodlines, although we don't really know much here in NZ, his sire line is outstanding. he is by Unusual Heat, who is the sire of 47 individual stakes winners. He has broken all the sire records over there, and is the 13 time leading turf sire in California with progeny earnings over $24 million.  Unusual Suspect's full sister is also a group one winner over a mile.

If anyone would like more information or a brochure, please call or text your postal address to 021 2421469 and we would be happy to help.

Thanks Dibbles for the info.

Welcome Letham - Nigel/Adair/Hamish.  Looks a stunning horse - and the temperament side of things is encouraging for breeders and must be great for you working with him on the stud.  And as I said - I greatly admire that he is not only succeesful on the track -  but durable - impying a tough, sound type. 

Racecafe would probably allow you to post his page or any info - I'd love to know something about his progeny - are the oldest ones 2 y/o?

I have no mares for you in 2017 but I am interested in your horse for future seasons.   

Fantastic to have a stud post here in their own name - good on you Letham and best of luck with your new horse.  We could well be doing business in the future.   

Kind regards, Jess

Thank you Jess for your kind words. Unusual suspect served 144 mares in two seasons in AUS, his oldest are yearlings. They are lovely types. Its a big advantage when purchasing a sire to be able to view his product first!  He stood for $7500 AUD over there and was well supported however his owners were in financial trouble and forced to sell him. Look forward to helping you in the future!

2 hours ago, ngatimaru said:

Doesn't that indicate he was sound and probably had a lovely temperament?

They are unlikely to be K1 stock but that still doesn't mean he can't leave a racehorse, looks a nice breed to race option for mine.