RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chelseacol

Hastings Track Conditions

5 minutes ago, puha said:

Our environment is to diverse to have a rule as such . West coast and East are completely different.

I believe irrigation should only occur to prevent grass from burning off.

I think only allowing Jan and Feb would prevent that on both east and west coast.....never seen burn off before Jan.

I think another theory that is misplaced is trainers  worrying about horses breaking down on too firm a surface.

I believe it is uneven surfaces that causes the problem.....they like galloping on a firm  beach  .....but that has a perfect surface hence no problem.

9 hours ago, Berri said:

Rubbish. You must be a newbie to the industry. The ground already had enough moisture in it to not make it slippery with last nights rain. A track doesn't go from a 4 then to a 6 and then a 9 with the small amount of rain unless some imbecile has put too much water on board. Problem still is the soil/grass/ soil management issue

What I am saying is that if there had not been any irrigation up to the night before and it rained as it did it would have a slippery track on the day Berri . So did they irrigate to make it a soft or easy track for the horses sake or did they irrigate to make it safe for the jockeys and horses sake. They controlled the situation well and the racing went ahead without any incident involving the safety of horse and rider .Looking at times of the last 600m running 36s and some horses travelling wide on the bend and doing that suggests that it was not a 9 on the day .Given that a 9 on the day at HB is and equivalent to a 6 or 7 anywhere else ie if you have been around long enough in this game there is a big difference between a summertime heavy 10 and a wintertime heavy 10 Berri .The same applies to HB as a trainer you would look at going to HB with horses that like the firmer ground in the wintertime

The climate at HB can have a track bake hard in a week and I was  shown a photo of of the track which had been taken showing cracks in the surface up to and including Raceday 

On the morning the pentrometer suggested a 8 reading and from what I have been told the stipes made it a 9.

we stood by the rail at the 100 metre mark, very surprised on arrival at the nice firmish surface,

good dig with the heel as to take a conversion, small indent... grass out on the course was long...could have grazed it, good 5/6 inches.

Took the water well in my opinion and was good for racing...certainly no shin soreness issues.

Did occour to me though, with Kawi,s stats...if it was up to beating Gingernuts over the distance...too much give under foot, so top run considering. 

25 minutes ago, hesi said:

You have to acknowledge though, that the conditions, a slow 9, favoured GNuts, over Kawi, a horse that is known to dislike soft tracks

No the winner cleaned him up Kawi came to win the race and GN ran past him...anyway Kawi may be a little past his best now too.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Great to see last years two best three year olds, Bonnaval and Gingernuts come out on top as four year olds, so early in the season.

Great point, both already WFA winning milers when they are both better over more ground.

29 minutes ago, BruceL said:

Ask Roydon Bergerson how he feels, he scratched his and took the fine to go with it!

Track didn't downgrade from what it was at 7.00am so don't get your point.

He wasnt happy with the false track thats why he took it upon himself to scratch the horse without the stewards permission.

He wasnt happy with the track , thats all i was saying.

If anyone thinks that track played well I would question their judgement. All after 12mls of rain over 2 days, they were heavy handed on the irrigation, irrigation not the problem just the excessive amounts.

4 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

My question is why were they aiming for a Dead 4 in the first place (hence the saturation irrigation earlier in the week)? What's wrong with a Good 3? Much better racing and it probably would have only been dead on the day after the rain.

Isn't the mandate /recommendation to have a track at a dead4 at acceptance time ?

On 9/24/2017 at 8:26 AM, Whyisit said:

What I am saying is that if there had not been any irrigation up to the night before and it rained as it did it would have a slippery track on the day Berri .

This argument doesn't hold water (so to speak). Does no one remember a couple of years back when one of the Group 1's at Hastings was abandoned due to over-irrigation making the track slippery?

6 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

This argument doesn't hold water (so to speak). Does no one remember a couple of years back when one of the Group 1's at Hastings was abandoned due to over-irrigation making the track slippery?

Peter I think they learnt from that experience   But was it over irrigated on Saturday they did race successfully

34 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

Didn't they irrigate too late last time ? Where as this week they irrgated early and only till Tuesday to a dead 4 . Your arguement doesn't hold water :)

Guest 2Admin2
8 hours ago, chelseacol said:

they put 14mm on in one go - craziness 4 days out 

They should have maximised field capacity two weeks out.  Leaving it late meant that they had to irrigate heavily otherwise the water would not have got in.  Once again it highlights a soil structure problem.  The track was crap in the end.

I personally think that the soil structure is the answer to the stuff up but the systems to whether or not irrigation should take place should be data driven. We have 9 weather stations within 14kms of the Hastings racetrack. I've looked at the data pre and post the meeting. Absolutely no way would I have watered before the meeting. That brief wet bomb was enough to ensure slipiness of the track didn't occur if the right grasses and length of grass was sorted. These forecasts of ours are 93 percent accurate 8 days out. Each race track should have its own standardised weather station. They should also have a series of soil probes around the track. The data will determine what should be done. This is seriously simple stuff if you know how

1 hour ago, Berri said:

I personally think that the soil structure is the answer to the stuff up but the systems to whether or not irrigation should take place should be data driven. We have 9 weather stations within 14kms of the Hastings racetrack. I've looked at the data pre and post the meeting. Absolutely no way would I have watered before the meeting. That brief wet bomb was enough to ensure slipiness of the track didn't occur if the right grasses and length of grass was sorted. These forecasts of ours are 93 percent accurate 8 days out. Each race track should have its own standardised weather station. They should also have a series of soil probes around the track. The data will determine what should be done. This is seriously simple stuff if you know how

Tell me Berri do you have 500 kg horses galloping at full speed at any of your data points to qualify your assumptions.