RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
sergio

3 more drivers punished by stupid whip rule

3 hours ago, badger said:

I see very little comment on the  gallops café , probably because they accept and understand that the rule is good and needed for animal welfare  

The gallops cafe is too concerned about whether they will even start their races considering the tracks they have let alone worry about what will happen at the end of a race.

:P

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Let's just ban the whips in horse racing.

These are words I never expected to hear from you Brodie --- it's as though The Trumpster had announced he was converting to Islam!  Has Mrs Brodie been in your shell-like?  Have my earnest entreaties won you over? Has somebody taken the whip to you?

4 hours ago, badger said:

This rule was not implemented by the RIU but by the harness board, the RIU are then obligated to enforce the rule. I am a firm believer of this rule, for those of you who believe the rule is stupid, you obviously have never in the past been in the birdcage or the gearing up area and seen your horse with welts on its rump as big as your fingers even though the animal has given its best. I have taken a driver off a horse even after winning because of this. Thank the good lord above that it isn't tolerated nowadays.

While I agree with the sentiments you have expressed, there is one problem when you refer to the marks sometimes left on a horse from the use of the whip.  That is a horse can be hit 6 times with the whip by one driver and leave 6 welt marks, then you could have the very same horse hit 15 times by a different driver and have no welt marks. Ive seen it many times.Which is worse for the horse?  In other words,welt marks have no bearing when considering a breach of the rules.  Reality is it is all about perception, not always actual consequences and therein exists an injustice.

37 minutes ago, Basil said:

These are words I never expected to hear from you Brodie --- it's as though The Trumpster had announced he was converting to Islam!  Has Mrs Brodie been in your shell-like?  Have my earnest entreaties won you over? Has somebody taken the whip to you?

Basil, just think maybe I should be a sheep and just agree with the stupid rules that have been introduced by HRNZ in the past few years.

If the whip is banned in NZ it will kill the harness racing industry quicker than it is currently is dieing.

Yes Stakes money is better than it was, but just have a look at the depth of numbers for some of our races.

Just because a rule is introduced Basil doesn't mean it is sensible!!!!

Punters will not invest on racing if the whip is banned as they will not be prepared to offload large amounts when they know that their horse may just be an also ran because of lack of vigour.

If they did ban the whip it would give me more free time which I have  got too much of already, however that is life I suppose.

Harness will die there is no doubt about that as there is bugger all new people coming into the sport and attendance numbers on course nowadays is abysmal.

TAB has a lot to do with this as well, and have I told you about the restrictions that are placed on winning punters?????

14 hours ago, Brodie said:

Basil, just think maybe I should be a sheep and just agree with the stupid rules that have been introduced by HRNZ in the past few years.

If the whip is banned in NZ it will kill the harness racing industry quicker than it is currently is dieing.

Yes Stakes money is better than it was, but just have a look at the depth of numbers for some of our races.

Punters will not invest on racing if the whip is banned as they will not be prepared to offload large amounts when they know that their horse may just be an also ran because of lack of vigour.

If they did ban the whip it would give me more free time which I have  got too much of already, however that is life I suppose.

Harness will die there is no doubt about that as there is bugger all new people coming into the sport and attendance numbers on course nowadays is abysmal.

TAB has a lot to do with this as well, and have I told you about the restrictions that are placed on winning punters?????

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Doomsday is when Brodie. You could always take up sports betting , play cards or do knitting to keep you occupied.

Harness racing will be around long after you and your type have departed.

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Doomsday is when Brodie. You could always take up sports betting , play cards or do knitting to keep you occupied.

Harness racing will be around long after you and your type have departed.

Newmarket, Harness Australia opened their mouths and said that whips would be banned over there.

Harness NZ  opened their mouths without much thought and brought in the stupid 10 exactly hits rule!

Newmarket,, can you kindly advise us all if the Ozzies have in fact brought the banned whip rule in yet, or have they realised that they were being totally stupid about it and isn't logical?

Await your reply with interest!

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

I most certainly saw that coming.

5 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Im thinking all of Racecafe did as well.

At least I get you to react.

Race Cafe is mostly pretty boring without "The Brodster" to expressing his opinion and as you know,  The Brodster is always on the money.

11 hours ago, GOM said:

You are grasping at straws with the Australian comment Brodie and if you really think that restricting the whip is going to finish the sport you are away with the fairies. Just the opposite is what will happen.

GOM! You think that the bigger punters will offload when they know that their horse may not do their best?

If you think that then you are certainly away with the fairies!

Why has OZ not brought the banned whip rule in?

Because Harness Oz opened their mouth without thinking logically.

I can tell you now, from the larger punters I know, they will give the punting away if the whip is banned?

The smaller punters that don't care whether they win or lose as they don't spend a lot probably may still gamble but that will be that.

Without the larger punters and owners the industry is stuffed and I have spoken to many about this, and they all agree with Brodie which would not be hard to understand!

When whips are finally banned - and they will be - the smarter punters will soon work out which, if any horses aren't betting propositions in the "post-whip" era.

There are dozens of variables in punting. This will just be one more. The smart punter, big or small, will adapt - the not so smart won't.

It's no different to the introduction of passing lanes, pull up blinds, or the mobile barrier. The smart trainers, drivers and punters evolved then, and the dinosaurs died. The banning of whips will see a few dinosaurs die too. It's called evolution. RIP Brodie.

18 minutes ago, JackSprat said:

When whips are finally banned - and they will be - the smarter punters will soon work out which, if any horses aren't betting propositions in the "post-whip" era.

There are dozens of variables in punting. This will just be one more. The smart punter, big or small, will adapt - the not so smart won't.

It's no different to the introduction of passing lanes, pull up blinds, or the mobile barrier. The smart trainers, drivers and punters evolved then, and the dinosaurs died. The banning of whips will see a few dinosaurs die too. It's called evolution. RIP Brodie.

Jack, not really looking at leaving this earth in the near future!

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

We need people to stay in the business as well as new ones coming thru which doesn't appear as though this is happening.

Unfortunately there are many forces in play that are detrimental to,the viability of harness racing going forward.

Most long term owners and trainers and punters are aware of these, but you are allowed to think that everything is going just fine.

As the long term older trainers and owners drop out they are not going to be replaced by young ones, as there is no way a young trainer can operate a financially successful stable in NZ, and ownership is becoming increasingly more expensive.

Why do you think that Mark Jones and Tim Butt are deserting NZ basically,  and they are set up!

Dumb and Dumber. Not that either of the 2 suspended drivers get many drives so its not a major!!

Anyone else notice how its mainly SI drivers breaking the rules.

Suspensions:   Race 3 R Close[KYLIE ANN]
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip (3 days).
Suspended from 02/10/2017 until 12/10/2017 inclusive.
  Race 7 B Butt[STOMPEM]
Excessive use of the whip. (4 days).
Suspended from 07/10/2017 until 15/10/2017 inclusive.
Fines:   Race 2 R Holmes (SOUTHERN ALPS)
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip . Fined $300.
  Race 5 N Purdon (BETTOR THAN THAT)
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip. Fined $300.

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Dumb and Dumber. Not that either of the 2 suspended drivers get many drives so its not a major!!

Anyone else notice how its mainly SI drivers breaking the rules.

Suspensions:   Race 3 R Close[KYLIE ANN]
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip (3 days).
Suspended from 02/10/2017 until 12/10/2017 inclusive.
  Race 7 B Butt[STOMPEM]
Excessive use of the whip. (4 days).
Suspended from 07/10/2017 until 15/10/2017 inclusive.
Fines:   Race 2 R Holmes (SOUTHERN ALPS)
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip . Fined $300.
  Race 5 N Purdon (BETTOR THAN THAT)
[Rule 869(2)] - Excessive use of the whip. Fined $300.

Newmarket, are you a Stipe or a Policeman.

Why do you get so much delight in seeing our reinsman getting fined and/or suspended for trying their best to win?????

All of the above Horsemen need to win races or they will be lost to the industry.

There will be many Horsemen and horse ladies abandoning the industry in the next few years as there is not enough financial reward in it!

That's right let's come down hard on them and stop them from trying to make a living, just because of a stupid 10 hit rule.

Motukarara is a long  straight and what were the reinsman to do?

What is the worst - hitting a horse one or two strikes too many or pulling back to the rear and staying there.    No doubt activists will be on one side and punters on the other.     I really feel there should be a graduated scale of punishment. 1 to 3 strikes over first offence just a warning.  4 to 8, 8-12, 13 & over, second offence perhaps up one "offence band" & suspensions doubled etc.    Should be easy to be able to work out a graduated scale.    Perhaps however this would be too hard for the JCA to adjudicate on after the Reekie fiasco:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, eljay said:

Meantime drivers are perhaps a bit dumb too - they must have surely worked out that some stipes are on the lookout for whip use more than others - or so it appears.     It's like Rugby - know your ref and his likes & dislikes.

Go back to the previous rule.

stipes  are only trying to enforce the blatantly stupid rule and they should come clean and admit they stuffed up bringing the rule in when there was no pressure from animal activists.

They tried to semi copy Oz and Oz have backtracked.

Great to see Stipes and JCA are correctly enforcing the whip rule. As they should , its what they are paid to do. Its really simple for drivers to understand but some are just plain dumb. Dont see Nat, Mark or Ricky getting fined or suspended because they have already adapted to the new situation they operate in. Its not to say they wont in future if needs must but they will know whats coming if they do.

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Newmarket, are you a Stipe or a Policeman.

Why do you get so much delight in seeing our reinsman getting fined and/or suspended for trying their best to win?????

All of the above Horsemen need to win races or they will be lost to the industry.

There will be many Horsemen and horse ladies abandoning the industry in the next few years as there is not enough financial reward in it!

That's right let's come down hard on them and stop them from trying to make a living, just because of a stupid 10 hit rule.

Motukarara is a long  straight and what were the reinsman to do?

For the 3rd time neither.

It would be an interesting stat to compare how many times say, the top 10 or even the top 20 drivers had been caught out breaking the "10 hit rule", compared to all the other drivers combined.

My guess would be that the top guys and girls not only think faster on the track, but also adapt to rules changes faster too!

The sooner the whips are banned altogether the better. Superior horsemanship will soon become obvious, and superior horsemen will rise to the top .... once again.

Good Afternoon

I dont comment much on here but always read Brodiecafe for a giggle or two. You are saying the stipes should admit they stuffed up bringing in this rule. I thought it was the Horsemens Assc and HRNZ that brought the rule in

Please correct me if Im wrong as Im sure you will LOL

Have A Happy Day

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Go back to the previous rule.

stipes  are only trying to enforce the blatantly stupid rule and they should come clean and admit they stuffed up bringing the rule in when there was no pressure from animal activists.

They tried to semi copy Oz and Oz have backtracked.

Brodie must be in love with K Manning and her drive on Arden Lustre whereas most others were disgusted. Watch the big trot yesterday - Ricky and Blair at it for the last 100m. Don't think Blair even hit it once (probably can't) and Ricky hit his about 6 times. Professional drivers - and as said before how many and how often do they get fined ( I know Nat got a fine once - learnt from it). When are you going to learn Brodie and accept you are wrong. Oh I forgot you don't. 

Glad you get a giggle out of Brodie Elinor but you will quickly learn from his repetitive rants on here that he is more of a joke than a giggle