RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

Raymond Reekie Ban - March 2020

I hope he appeals his ban of 2 and a half years as I find it excessive in the extreme.

What I cannot fathom is how quickly the stipes have reacted and imposed such a decision. Why did they not adjourn the matter till a later time as they seem to do for others? In the same stipes report Dexter Dunn's drive on Millwood Daisy at Forbury was given 'further consideration' at a later date. Could someone enlighten me as to whether Graeme Anderson told the stipes the horse would be driven with a sit pre-race? 

It wasn't a great drive but things do go wrong in a race but another easy target gets smoked in the name of integrity. 

Some may not agree but I find the penalty imposed disheartening for harness racing.

ZAKSPATROL - raced wide through the early stages. Challenged RUSSIAN EXPRESS (A Edge) for the lead between 2100 metres and 1100 metres before weakening from the 900 metres to finishing a distant last. A subsequent post-race veterinary examination of ZAKSPATROL revealed no clinical abnormalities. Stewards questioned Amateur driver R Reekie (who declined assistance by a Senior Reinsperson) regarding the tactics he employed through the middle stages of this event. Of particular concern to Stewards was his decision to maintain his challenge for the lead for such an extended period after his initial challenge had been unsuccessful. After hearing the explanation tendered by Mr Reekie Stewards issued him a charge under Rule 869(3)(g) in that he drove in a manner capable of diminishing ZAKSPATROL's chance of winning the race. Mr Reekie defended the charge and after hearing evidence from the Stewards and Mr Reekie the JCA found the charge proven and subsequently suspended Mr Reekie's Amateur Horseman's licence from the conclusion of racing today up to and including 15th March 2020 (2 1/2 years).

Pretty bad look for racing but the gentleman obviously loves what's he's doing and it does appear pretty harsh. I don't think Mike Stratford got that long and his scenario was certainly worse . Just saying 

Crickey how severe is that, more of the same step on the part timer and hit him hard, while the seniors get away with a warning, if it was me i think i would just walk away from the game, its almost like a jail sentence. You just wonder why they vet checked the horse if they could see it had such a tough run.

35 minutes ago, sheldon said:

Pretty bad look for racing but the gentleman obviously loves what's he's doing and it does appear pretty harsh. I don't think Mike Stratford got that long and his scenario was certainly worse . Just saying 

Is it any worse look for racing than a positive swab, few of them around from time to time, all accidental of course, i wonder why they bother with the amateur races or even having betting on them, real harsh and i think more leniency should be shown.

5 minutes ago, Shad said:

Is it any worse look for racing than a positive swab, few of them around from time to time, all accidental of course, i wonder why they bother with the amateur races or even having betting on them, real harsh and i think more leniency should be shown.

Agreed, I think happy sunrise got it right when he said he found "the penalty imposed disheartening for harness racing"

Lets hope some of the professionals who people look up too have the guts to express an opinion.

Ridiculously long sentence.

At the end of the day they are AMATEUR drivers!!!

Most punters know that Ray loves to lead at all costs and that is just the way he drives!

Yes it was not the best drive in the world but there have been other shockers by full time drivers and they get nothing.

Punters know betting into amateur races can be risky!

Over reaction from the Stipes,or judiciary here !

This sentence Ray has copped is manifestly unjust. In his last five starts Zakspatrol has drawn 8,8,7,9,9. Obviously Ray has been frustrated by this. Two horses broke inside him and his horse was well on the steel at the despatch. If he had hooked him back he would have pulled his head off and still ran last. Sure Ray shouldn't have persisted in getting to the top because Alan Edge wasn't going to give it away. I note that Ray has had a Trainer's Licence since 1987. I would be interested if the two person JCA Panel have put a hand on a horse in the last 30 years?!

As you all say ,this sentence is unjust in the extreme. It virtually says to Ray 'we dont want you in the sport" There have been many noted such speed duels inthe past which are rightly condemned but I think these circumstanses and the fact he declined help in putting his case has meant the stipes and Judiciary entered in to their own speed duel ... Lets enter their little huddle at sentencing. ("this guy shows no remorse,he wont even get a senior driver to speak for him , hes only an amateur so lets make an example of him. we wont even call in the  o ther driver  because he may be partly to blame as he cost a winning opportunity for his horse as well . lets show how tough we are . lets give him 6 months/no lets be even tougher 12 months no lets even be tougher still ,make it 2 years now thats tough but geoff Martin only gt 12 months for not giving his horse every opportunity, oh well we want to be real tough this time. make it 2.5 years . lets make it a life ban now thats tough (it s not this but is poss same effect.) this  is no joke for the individual or the sport and any appeal would see the sentence in line with all others reduced to say 6 months.

The Stipes have always picked on Ray over the years.

Basically he has had to take his cheque book to the races to pay fines.

At the end of the day they are AMATEURS and they should be getting leniency from the Stipes and encouragement.

Personally don't think their races should be tote races!!

Some might disagree with me and not picking on Alan Edge, but as a punter If I had backed Russian Express, I would have been pissed off.

Russian Express went huge and possibly would've won if Alan Edge handed up early on to Ray, as he would've trailed the rest of the race, knowing that Ray loves to lead.

Yes it was not Ray's best work and he would acknowledge that, but as I say that is how he drives and you would've thought that Alan hands up!!

If Ray had driven poorly by bringing down half the field and there were injuries etc. what would the judiciary given him?

Disqualified for life?

Judiciary, you have been overly callous here to Mr Reekie and man up and reassess the punishment to Mr Reekie as he is an AMATEUR driver.

Just a continuation of many ridiculous decisions by our officialdom in harness!!!!

I actually thought the thread title was a joke !

I was at Addington yesterday and there is no doubt it was a terrible drive. Lead up time was unreal and he still kept going.Shocker.

But the penalty is totally OTT. They have to see sense surely.

Funnily enough I part owned a horse which in 2 win grade (from memory) set a lead up time which was similar - was done at the 800. The driver was questioned and said the horse was disappointing - no action taken. Mmmmm

Maybe Paul Wallace demanding to watch the start from every camera angle so he good get a ruling of not a fair start and his horse is scratched shows more the intelligence of amateurs.

Yip my bad drive wasn't as bad as all that and I got scratched  but it cost the owner $200 - dumb - is he going to pay the owner the $200 starting fee ?

Amateurs had one of there worst days - dumb appeals which cost owners money and all round shocking driving !

37 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

Maybe Paul Wallace demanding to watch the start from every camera angle so he good get a ruling of not a fair start and his horse is scratched shows more the intelligence of amateurs.

Yip my bad drive wasn't as bad as all that and I got scratched  but it cost the owner $200 - dumb - is he going to pay the owner the $200 starting fee ?

Amateurs had one of there worst days - dumb appeals which cost owners money and all round shocking driving !

That's a bit tough and a bit silly..  If he suffered interference and was denied a fair start and was  scratched as a result then that's not any fault of the driver. Do agree in circumstances like that connections should be paid a starting fee.

What is worse - go hammer for tongs like Ray or sit at rear of field and just stay there!     Either way punters get "burnt" but we see the latter every week by pros and not a word said.     Not even warned or "spoken to".      Yet the end result of these tactics is exactly the same.     

I have seen some dumber drives than that in 50 yrs of watching harness, with no consequences at all for the driver.

Two and a half years beggars belief.  How soul destroying for Ray is that. And what kind of message does that send to those struggling to make their way in an already difficult game.

Im not a fan of amatuer tote races and yesterdays drive was an absolute shocker but 2 and half years is completely OTT. What does that tell Ray, thanks for your contribution but now piss off from Harness racing. Surely an appeal.. 

14 hours ago, Shad said:

Should he be penalised for a poor drive - yes ... but this appears OTT compared with penalties for other indiscretions.  

Interference extinguishing the chances of other runners (sometimes placing horses and drivers at risk of injury) gets treated with leniency in comparison.  You could argue the detrimental effect on a horse, connections and punter perception is far higher.  As for positive swabs.... If the RIU took any longer to investigate they'd become cold cases.  The lack of transparency and inconsistency applied to penalties is appalling.

It appears Ray Reekie's incompetence is matched only by that of the stipes.

There is no precedence for that length of suspension for the offence committed.  There needs to be a committee that the stipes are accountable to.

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Ridiculously long sentence.

At the end of the day they are AMATEUR drivers!!!

Most punters know that Ray loves to lead at all costs and that is just the way he drives!

Yes it was not the best drive in the world but there have been other shockers by full time drivers and they get nothing.

Punters know betting into amateur races can be risky!

Over reaction from the Stipes,or judiciary here !

Hay brodie, great to see back, been missing your content

9 hours ago, what a post said:

That's a bit tough and a bit silly..  If he suffered interference and was denied a fair start and was  scratched as a result then that's not any fault of the driver. Do agree in circumstances like that connections should be paid a starting fee.

Maybe but in this instance the starter should be fined $200 for not calling a false start - if they did lock wheels before dispatch - and the fine given to the horse owner .

Oh that is right - starter is a stipe so cannot fine one of their own .